Nail Trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsshaer

Franki
Reaction score
Hello again! This time I've got some questions about trimming some bunny claws!

Newly adopted from shelter, (possibly recently) spayed female, > 1yr old. Loves being pet and hand fed--shivers when held periodically, sometimes struggles when being lifted.

Her nails are a bit on the long side, and look dirty--clean paws, though. I don't have any experience with rabbits but I have a whole 20 year old's lifespan of experience with cats. Especially grooming cats. I cut my three cats' nails on a regular basis with no crying, bleeding, struggling, etc. I know to not cut into the quick and to cut at an angle where there is the least amount of pressure.

However, I have never cut a rabbits claws and they are obviously vastly different from cats--personality wise and anatomy wise. Typically, how long should a rabbits claws be? her currently are a bit too long I think, as they lay outwards?... They are not curling in, but they do look too long for her.

If I take her to a vet that specializes in rabbits, or a groomer, would they be able to properly teach me how to trim her claws? Would they also be able to teach me how to check and clean her rear end and its glands? She isn't comfortable with being held yet, so I do not want to hurt her because of my lack of knowledge with rabbit care. I heard if you lay them on their backs, that's the easiest way to do these things, but I do not want her to hurt herself in the process.

Your vet should be able to show you how to trim her nails and check and clean her scent glands.
I use the little scissor-like cat nail trimmers on my buns. Typically I just crouch over them and pull one paw at a time out to the side but other people will use a bunny burrito. For your first time you may want someone else to hold her while you cut or vice-versa. If her nails are light enough for you to easily see the quicks, you should trim just past that point.

What is a bunny burrito? It sounds really cute, but I'm guessing it's not. Is it something you wrap them in to hold them still? Thanks for the advice. <:

Wrapping them up in a towel or blanket to hold them still. Make sure it's snug enough around their neck that they can't run forward through it (but without suffocating them, obviously).

Latest posts

Back