Nail trimming?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyRabbit33

Reaction score
How often should i really trim my rabbit'snails? I got hima week and a half ago, and i dont know if hisnails are long or short. Also, how do i get him to relax? Binky hatesbeing picked up / flipped over / restrained. I know how easily he caninjure himself if he kicks. Any advice?

The best way to get them used to being handledis to handle him daily. Since he is young, I suggest taking him outevery day, if he doesn't like being on his back, spend a week or sojust putting him on his back for a minute or 2, then increase the time.after about a week, start playing with his feet, handle them, pull hislegs out while he is on his back. This kind of handling will ensure heis easy to clip nails and it makes vet check up so much easier!

My boys were never handled like that daily, I still can't put them ontheir backs but my does have been handled like that from day one andit's so nice to handle them and the vets love dealing with them!

As for cutting nails, that depends on the surfaces they are running on.A rabbit who has grass/cement to run on is going to need less nailtrims than a rabbit who is always on wire, tile, linolium. I findbabies don't need their nails cut so much, they are sharp but cuttingthem doesn't help. For rabbits who develop cronic sore hocks, it's bestto cut nails often (I cut my boys' nails every 2 weeks) to preventpressure being put on the hocks. Some rabbits need them cut once amonth or every 2/3 months.

Oh i see.. i have to admit that i'm a littlenervous to put him on his back everyday.I feel like he'lllose the trust he has grown for me, and he'll hate me. I tried puttinghim on his back twice before, and both times he kicked out and thendidnt let me touch him for a while.

It will save you the pain later. I handle all mybunnies like that from day one now. I never want to end up with thesame problem I already have with my 2 boys. It's a hassle to cut nails,vets hate to deal with rabbits that are hard to handle, and it's a painfor you. A lot of pet bunnies don't like to be held but I have nevermet a breeder bunny that does not tolerate being held extremely welland that is because breeders handle the rabbits like that from day 1.

He may hold a grudge now but he will get over it and when he is full grown you will be thankful.

Hey mbb, i just tried handling him. He willtolerate being held fora little bit, but when i try to puthim on his back he kicks out right away. I tried keeping him on hisback in my hand, on my lap, and in the crook of my arm. He hates themall. Any advice?

On a dark bun, the nails are dark,usually. You can shine flashlight on the backlight of thenail to see through where the quick is located. You want tocut above that to a certain degree. On other buns, just cutthe very tips, especially if you plan on doing this veryoften. It only really needs to be done every fewmonths for my buns, though.:D

If you have a bun that isn't comfprtable w/ this, you could considerthe famous "bunny burito", where you wrap the rabbit in a towel andcover his face for trimming, this relaxes some buns into a "trance"state.:)

As Snuffles said, use the bunny burito to startoff. Wrapping him in a towel will prevent him from kicking out andeventually you should be able to take the towel away.

Latest posts

Back