Nail trimming hack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuppyND

Reaction score
I used to dread trimming my bunnies’ nails. Then recently I came up with this idea. Maybe it can help you too.

Find a mesh bag, like a laundry bag or sand toy bag, that your rabbit can fit in. Put your bun inside, gently. Then slowly lift the mesh bag up in the air. You will see that all their nails will pop out through the mesh holes! Hold the bag securely so that your bun can’t move too much. Always be gentle. Then trim the nails while the nails are sticking out and your bun is snuggly held.

This has helped me tremendously. I’m not as stressed and can trim slowly so I don’t cause bleeding. The whole process takes under two minutes and my rabbits seem so much more at eased.

Attachments

• 34359896-83DE-49DD-9440-0C4D0C5D7E19.jpeg
    34359896-83DE-49DD-9440-0C4D0C5D7E19.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 56432B32-9C52-4372-8A71-9DF7A72A6AFF.jpeg
    56432B32-9C52-4372-8A71-9DF7A72A6AFF.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 46293A31-F603-4B56-8A58-BEBBB002B72C.jpeg
    46293A31-F603-4B56-8A58-BEBBB002B72C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Some buns are squirmy. This prevents them from moving their paws and fighting you. Also, gravity/their weight pushes the nails out of the mesh holes.

I used to dread trimming my bunnies’ nails. Then recently I came up with this idea. Maybe it can help you too.

Find a mesh bag, like a laundry bag or sand toy bag, that your rabbit can fit in. Put your bun inside, gently. Then slowly lift the mesh bag up in the air. You will see that all their nails will pop out through the mesh holes! Hold the bag securely so that your bun can’t move too much. Always be gentle. Then trim the nails while the nails are sticking out and your bun is snuggly held.

This has helped me tremendously. I’m not as stressed and can trim slowly so I don’t cause bleeding. The whole process takes under two minutes and my rabbits seem so much more at eased.
What a brilliant idea! I will try this

You’re bunny has that “I’ve been traumatized and violated” look in the photos 😂

Great idea! If my brother and I hadn’t already come up with a good way to clip his claws (2 person operation), we’d probably use your idea. Though we might use yours in the future if only one of us is around to clip his nails

I'd be a bit concerned with the hang-bag method-if the nails are poking out and the nailbeds are pushed up against the mesh, i doubt the rabbit would be comfortable?🤔
I've also seen some rabbits develop nail crusties (or whatever they're called, small rings of semi-loose skin/nail cells around the base of the nail) which make touching their nails even harder. I know both my big french lops have had them and one won't really let me touch him until i can get these crusties off. I think that bagging him would be utterly uncomfy and alarming for him.
I'd also think that this only works for smalller buns who could actually fit in one of these bags and whose body weight hanging won't cause problems in the nails poking out.
Definetly seems to work for more lightweight buns.
Yours has such a "Ah, i've been violated!" look 😂

Latest posts

Back