Nail Clipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussy

Reaction score
If I need to clip the nail on the bunny, wheredo I make the cut? What is the best position to hold thebunny. I'm getting scratches all over just trying to checkthe nails of my dwarf bunny. The nails are really sharp.

Thanks!

Okay...I've read it. So, how do I determine if the nails need to be clipped?

I couldn't hold him without getting scratched everywhere.

I've found that babies usually do have prettysharp nails. You could just clip the very tip off to dullthem. They shouldn't be overly long yet.

I forget what breed you have- do they have normal length fur?With my guys (Polish, Dwarf Hotot, Dutch, and New Zealand), if I noticethat the nails are much longer than the fur it's usually time for atrim. Of if they're starting to curl under, it's past timefor a trim. With the white nailed rabbits, it's really easyfor me to see if the nail is much longer than the quick (anotherindication that they need trimming). You can use a flashlightto see the quick better in dark nails.

I have 3 Holland Lop and 1 Dwarf. Theyare all about 6 to 7 weeks. The breeder who sold me the first2 Holland Lop clip it before I she gave the bunnies to me.She even did it in front of me so that I'll know how do toit. I tried to do it with the dwarf that I got today, but Igot scratches all over and only got to one nail...not even sure I didit right!

Latest posts

Back