Nail bleeding-HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankz

Reaction score
I feel so guilty :tears2::tears2::tears2:
I had to pick up Sunny from the side of my moms bed (after playing around for a while, it was time to go to bed) and her NAIL got stuck in an air vent, like this one:
(but not all this dust, it was the best pic. I could find)
DisgustingAirVent.jpg

The whole nail came off when I picked her up (I didn't notice her foot was near that until I picked her up and it snapped :nerves1), but the quick is still there. We rinsed it off with cool water and dried it some (from what I see the bleeding has stopped) and put her in a freshly cleaned cage. I'm so worried about my baby, and even though its just a nail, my mom had to check me for crying so much. I love sunny and just a drop of blood has always scared me. She's always had bad luck when it comes to her nails (never this severe, but I noticed that they actually are a bit crooked).

Right now she's resting, she's laid out and I gave her fresh food/water and her stuffed monkey (she loves this thing).

I don't know if she's in pain (she hasn't made any sounds or fidgeted at all) but I know rabbits can hide pain easily.

Is there anything I can do to help it heel? I feel so bad and feel like this was all my fault. We had actually planned on getting her nails cut Friday :grumpy:

Your bun will be fine ; don't worry ; the same thing occurred with one of my buns (Peewee) last week. I let the nail get too long and he caught and ripped it out. he 's fine and your bun will be too ; you are in more pain than he is ...:)

Nails are really not much of an issue for a bunny, so don't worry. Its not different than injuring your own nail. It will sting for a bit, but that's it. If it's still bleeding, put some cornstarch on it.

Try and keep it clean -- clean the bedding and litter box -- but otherwise just shower her with pets, give her a treat and apologize profusely.

sas :pet:

Okay..thank you all for the help and comfort..it helps greatly..I have another question about this.

As I said..the nail totally ripped out..but the quick (I'm guessing that's what it is) is still there. Is the nail going to grow back around it..? Because I'm guessing that's a pretty sensitive area and when she walks around she hops and jumps on beds and just running, I'm afraid she'll hurt it on her own. I'll upload a pic of what I see later to show you all.

It should be fine and either grow back on its own or not grow back at all. She may need 1-2 days of cage rest to help it heal.

tonyshuman wrote:
It should be fine and either grow back on its own or not grow back at all. She may need 1-2 days of cage rest to help it heal.

Okay thank you. Today for sure she's resting (had already planned that the first day it happened), and if I feel the need I'll rest her tomorrow also. Thank you all :).

One of my bunnies ripped his nail off when I was at work and when I came home his pen area was all bloody. I didn't know where it came from and immediately checked his paws and sure enough the nail was gone. I cleaned it and put some neosporin on it and he was fine.

Latest posts

Back