Mystifying Ailment - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Azerane, I'm sorry I didn't see your post. No, the vet couldn't see anything wrong with Barley's teeth. He said there was a slight spur on one molar so while he was sedated, he ground it down and touched up any other teeth that looked at all questionable, but the x-rays turned up nothing helpful. The vet was afraid it might've been something abdominal, and I've read that bunnies have a very poor survival rate when it comes to that sort of surgery.

I'm so so sorry for your loss. ;_; Lots of hugs to you.

If it was indeed something abdominal, there was very little that could be done, especially as far as surgery -- I had to have my first bun put to sleep last month after he got a blockage, and my exotics vet was advising against surgery since even if he survived (the chances of which were very slim) the quality of his life would never have been the same again. It really sounds like you did the right thing. Did you have a necropsy done? Those sometimes help to pinpoint the problem, even if they're not conclusive.

Thanks so much for writing, joeysangel. I'm still in anguish over this whole affair and your post is very comforting. I didn't ask for a necropsy, partly because I just couldn't bear the thought of it on my sweet boy, but also because I was afraid they would find that there was nothing at all and he would have recovered if I'd had more patience. I couldn't bear that notion more than anything. I'm very sorry to read about the sad loss of your first bun too. There's a very special magic these little ones bring to our lives that few understand.

:bunnyangel2: I am so sorry for your loss, what a bizarre problem he must have had. I hope you can find comfort in the fact he is no longer in any pain. RIP sweet Barley.

Oh my goodnes I'm so so sorry for your loss. I lost my little girl about a year ago and it was the worst moment of my life so I know how awful you must feel.
I'm so sorry again and feel free to talk anytime to me if you need.

Oh my goodnes I'm so so sorry for your loss. I lost my little girl about a year ago and it was the worst moment of my life so I know how awful you must feel.
I'm so sorry again and feel free to talk anytime to me if you need.

So sorry for your loss. :( I understand it must have been a heartbreaking decision to decide to have him put to sleep, but given that he was in pain, it really was a kind thing to do. Binky free, Barley.

Thank you Lizzy and Pani. Lizzy, life sure is different without him. He had pretty much free run of the tv room and my office (it was all rabbit-proofed) and it's so lonely not to see him hopping around, playing with his toilet paper tubes and paper bags.

Latest posts

Back