My website

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have a really good start. I would only say that some of the pictures are a little dark. But keep working on it. It takes a while to get it where you want it..and even then, you will keep making changes here and there. I do almost everyday..lol!!

Allison,

thanks, and yes I actually started with a nice bright room and a light background but my camera was so not cooperating. I think it may be time for a new camera that can take better pics.

Jackie,

thanks i am not even close to done yet but I figure one thing at a time

The title page is still up in the air about the set up but I want to add pics to make it more welcoming and interesting.

If you're serious about this, get your own domain. It costs maybe ten bucks a year (I use a registrar called Namesecure.com and they've been great) and it saves a lot of hassle when people try to find you. Say you're at a show, and someone asks if you have a website. You tell them yes, and what you tell them is "thomastriorabbitry.webs.com" but what I guarantee people will hear and remember (wrongly) is "thomastriorabbitry.com" and will try to go there.

Go buy the domain, use the tools on the registrar's site to redirect traffic to your existing website. It will save a lot of hassle and looks more professional.

We're hardcore... we own our own domains, and operate our own server. My day job is web development, so we can do that sort of thing, and really, most people don't need to run their own server, but you oughta own your own domain.

I do want to buy my own domain in the near future but I am just trying to get the rabbitry itself settled before I jump into registering my own domain name ect. Thank you for the tip I couldn't agree more I want it to be my own and that is definately something I will do soon.

The Turtle wrote:
If you're serious about this, get your own domain. It costs maybe ten bucks a year (I use a registrar called Namesecure.com and they've been great) and it saves a lot of hassle when people try to find you. Say you're at a show, and someone asks if you have a website. You tell them yes, and what you tell them is "thomastriorabbitry.webs.com" but what I guarantee people will hear and remember (wrongly) is "thomastriorabbitry.com" and will try to go there.

Go buy the domain, use the tools on the registrar's site to redirect traffic to your existing website. It will save a lot of hassle and looks more professional.

We're hardcore... we own our own domains, and operate our own server. My day job is web development, so we can do that sort of thing, and really, most people don't need to run their own server, but you oughta own your own domain.
I just want to add that I agree with this wholeheartedly. In fact, I am probably going to sound crazy...or mean...but if I am interested in rabbits and looking at sites and it isn't .com or .net, I tend to just skip on by and avoid the site.

Why? Because the person wasn't interested enough in being "professional" about their breeding to have a site that looks professional or that many would consider to be like that.

I know I"m probably sounding mean or wrong - but to me - if a site is "cutesy" (pink/purple/yellow, etc. with flowers or looks like its from the 70's) - it says to me that breeder probably is not breeding the quality of rabbits I want.

BTW - I haven't even looked at the sites listed in this thread - so I'm not talking about anyone in particular..just giving my own viewpoint and some of what others have told me too. (When I used to have El Rey Lionheads and my website - I had comments from many people about what they liked about my site and disliked about others).

Also - I would be very careful about exchanging links - with folks on this forum its probably great....but a lot of folks aren't ethical breeders and I'd hate for someone to find a breeder from my site and then come back to me later and complain, "I found so-and-so's site on your page and they have poor rabbits. Why are you recommending them?"

I remember one case in particular where a person was breeding a rabbit that turned out to have wry neck (not from a genetic reason). Another breeder happened to visit them to get rabbits and saw it...and they really let a friend of mine have a piece of their mind because they assumed she knew that this was going on - they found the link on her site.

Just my .02 ~ feel free to consider it worthless and ignore it.

I meant to add that business cards are a MUST also if you go to shows. This is an awesome way to get your name out.

Vistaprint.com frequently offers FREE business cards (500) and you only pay shipping. I think it is 500 - it might be 250. I think I wound up paying $8 for my box of business cards - partly because I uploaded my own photo to use.

I'll share a photo of my cards in a minute.

countrybuns wrote:
So I have my website up and running and have been adding things here and there and wanted some input. I also wanted to dolinks exchanges with lionhead breeders.

edited because apparently I can't spell lol

http://thomastriorabbitry.webs.com/
Ok - I just went to your website and I have to say - I LOVE it.

The color is a good color - looks professional. The way you have your navigation buttons is easy to use and well organized.

I love the fact that you have a blog - which reminds me that I need to update my blog on my website.

The only thing I would like to see - as a lionhead breeder - is a picture of the animal posed - from the side (so I can see their type) - possibly from the back - and also the ones of their faces. I find that the more photos you can have - the more people will say, "I want something out of X doe...when will you be breeding her..." or "I want something from this buck...".

Also - as you start breeding and have more bunnies - you may want to put two more pages up - a "show" page to show where you're going...so folks can meet you there....and a "planned breedings" so that people have an idea of when you'll hopefully have more rabbits.

Other than that - I LOVED your site.

Misty - I just went to your website and looked around it. Can I share a few things?

First of all - I don't normally like colorful websites - BUT - the fact that your rabbitry name has tulips in it - and the background is tulips...really goes well together. It seemed appropriate and I liked it.

I notice a few times when you are talking about rabbits and you will say "rabbit's" versus "rabbits". The only time you put that ' in - is if you are talking about something that belongs to that rabbit. For example, "Evie's kits" - the kits belonging to Evie. I remember seeing it on your "about me" page - I forget where else I saw it.

Something I was taught by a breeder who had been breeding a long time - was to try and take my website photos against a neutral backdrop. She said I could use a towel or a sheet or a blanket...but to drape it behind and also under the rabbit (so it hangs on the wall but drapes on the table too). If you look at my business card - you'll see how I did that with Mercury.

You may want to use a neutral backdrop like that so it doesn't detract away from looking at the rabbit.

I liked your information about the breeds you raise - I'm assuming you contacted the clubs and got their permission to use those charts and stuff since they would be copyrighted (or at least owned) by the clubs and they would need to grant permission. The photo of the dutch explaining the different names of things was awesome!

Hope this helps. By no means am I an expert on websites - but after looking at them for four or five years and having my own for three years and hearing comments from other breeders....well...I think I have a pretty decent understanding about putting them together.

mistyjr wrote:
I guess it was towards me because I am the only on in this thread that my website is in flowers,ect due to my rabbitry is called tulips.. :)
Misty - as I said - I hadn't yet even gone to the websites here when I posted....I just went to yours a few moments ago - and as I just posted - I liked the tulips (whereby I normally wouldn't) - because it fit your rabbitry name!

I don't think I would ever want to buy a domain or what not... I don't really want to pay for any of that stuff. Plus if it doesn't come with the site builder thing... I'm screwed. lol

I like my site, even if it ends in "weebly".

www.northernbreeze.weebly.com

Going along with cutesy stuff - I think it can be taken to an extreme... but (no offense to Turtle) if there isn't any colors or something on there, it's just so boring and I leave the site. I do like how you have your rabbits set up though. Pretty cool.

I like backgounds (as long as they aren't to busy) and some little graphics here and there. Colors someplace... maybe the font or whatever. Anything that holds my attention. When it comes to Peg's site, it is at least blue and she makes up for it with tons of adorable pictures. lol

p.s. Weebly is so much cooler than webs... no glitches like webs had, but some people said it didn't work well on their computers. You might need a high speed internet connection. And it allows to to upgrade to a .com if you want. :)

Okay I just wanted to thank everyone for their advise and input!!

Thank you Peg you have great insight and it was a pleasure to take in your advise. I have to agree when I see the .webs ect I assume new breeder or not very serious not saying I am right but that it my initial assumption. I was quite dissapointed when I looked at a cod holder's site and it was a .something instead of owning the domain.

I think once the site is in better shape and I have all my pics up ect I will purchase the domain.

Briana i checked out weebly after webs but I might transfer it there if I can buy a domain there because I know with webs you can buy the domain for like 8.95 a month it also includes the template and support ect.

Oh and one more thing; On the bucks page I took those two pics and was wondering if the wicker basket was a good background. The one of Fantasyland "Zebedee" in front of couch started with a light blue blanket in the background but he was not very cooperative lol.

Latest posts

Back