My vets is closed what should i do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
one of my rabbits, Daisy, managed to climb overthe fence into my other rabbits, Dandy, pen. as they do not get along(otherwise they would live together!) the had a bit of a fight. well amajor fight! i was out doing my paper round so didi not see it. myparents managed to seperate them but dandy got quite seroisly injured!hereare pics of it-

8thMar06002.jpg

8thMar06001.jpg

it is now late and so the vets are closed for the night. what would you suggest i do untill i get her to one?

Ouch! That looks like it hurts!

Here's some instructions from an article by a vet (also pinned at the top of this section for fast reference):

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]http://www.mybunny.org/info/emergencies.htm

Bite wounds, scrapes, punctures
(Shock, infection)

Small shallow wounds may be cleaned with a clean cotton or gauze padand some Betadine (may also use Peroxide, but never in deep cuts orpunctures!). May use Neosporin (with NO pain killer/lidocaine, whichcan induce heart failure in rabbits). If cuts are large, ragged, deep,requiring stitches or if you are not sure – go to vetimmediately.
[/font]

Poor bunny!

I'd check her over very carefully and make sure she has no other injuries.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think the ear willbe a bigproblem, infection-wise, especially as Naturestee notes with someneosporin ointment on it (and maybe clean around the edges withperoxide, keeping in mind it will sting if it gets in too deep).

But other areas can be harder to spot, much more prone to abscessesand much more dangerous.

Give her a pat for us!

sas

PS: She probably will need stitches to keep the ear intact, but I thinkit can safely wait until tomorrow. Unless she'sbleeding a lot, it's going to be largely cosmetic.

Ouch! That certainly does look like ithurts! Snip off the piece that is hanging and applyantibiotic ointment after rinsing with a mild antiseptic.

As long as there are no other injuries and the rabbit iseating/drinking fine, a vet visit is not necessary -- although do watchfor any signs of infection.

Shock from stress can set in, so keep the rabbit quiet and comfortable.

Pam

:yeahthat

Personally, I'd leave it, too. It may be stitchable(or not), but I think the procedure is even more of a pain in theearandnot really necessary.

(And Pam always knows best!)

sas

Pipp wrote:
:yeahthat

Personally, I'd leave it, too. It may be stitchable(or not), but I think the procedure is even more of a pain in theearandnot really necessary.

(And Pam always knows best!)

sas

I don't always know best LOL, but I do know that piece can't be stitched back on. :)

Pam

thx for all your suggestions. i hav left thepiece of ear on as i dont want to have to have it removed if possiable.i have cleaned it with clean water then with salty water to keep itclean. the ohter rabbit seems fine but i will keep a close eye on bothof them. i will take Dandy to the vet as soon as i can get anappointment!

i took dandy to the vest last night, jsut 24 hrs after the accident. the vet saidthe piecewould need removing so she took her in so she could give her a local anesthetic so Dandy wouldnt feel anythin. my dad then picked her up an hr later.

she seems fine in herself and ive checked her all over she has a small cut on her backbut nothin to worry about. i also checked dasiy over and she seems totaly fine!

i was just stoking Dandy last nite when i felt somthing unusual. i decieded to check it out properly after their fight and i found a quite large whole in her bum just next to her tail. she moved once i started clearin the fur a little as it obviously hurt! i cleaned it with salty water and checked her over again

You're really going to have to watch that. I don't know about salty water, but as previously recommended, try cleaning around the edges with peroxide and apply neosporin (the non-pain med kind).

Is it in the fleshy part or close to the genitals or rectum?

They can form life-threatening abscesses veryeasily and very quickly.

Truthfully, Daisy's earwasn't bad, you could have just cleaned it andcut it yourself as advised,but Dandy's injury is much more likelytobe more problematic.

I'd clean it (as above) and then get her to the vet asap forantibiotics.

Hope she's okay. :(

sas

it was Dandy with both indurys! which means she has already had antibiotics and pain killers!

we were told previously when this happened before to bath the wound with salty water as this keeps it clean and so it it less likely to become infected.

i will take some pics of it later today so you can see what i am talkin about

hunnybunny63 wrote:
it was Dandy with both indurys! which means she has already had antibiotics and pain killers!

we were told previously when this happened before to bath the wound with salty water as this keeps it clean and so it it less likely to become infected.

i will take some pics of it later today so you can see what i am talkin about
Duh, that's what I get for reading too fast!! Apologies to you and Dandy!

The vet didn't catch the other wound? They're hard to see, but he/she really should have had every inch of herchecked over, especially back there. Did thevet prescribe oral antibiotics or give her a shot or anything?

And I'm sure bathing the wound in salty water will keep it clean and less likely to pick up a bug,I just don't know ifit will kill an infection that's already taken hold.

At least seeing as the vet missed this wound, this next visitshould be free. But it is more serious than her ear.

Pics will help, thanks.

sas

:Dthats ok

it was very hard to see as it is so well hidden in her fur.

the vet gave her a injection while she was there.

i will post some pics of her tomorrow its too late to now! :)

Pipp wrote:
I don't know about salty water, but as previously recommended, try cleaning around the edges with peroxide and apply neosporin (the non-pain med kind).

sas

"Sterile" saline solution isfine for rinsing a wound -- however a homemade mixture of tap water and table salt should never be used because it contains impurities and is not sterile.

For deep wound cleaning, an antiseptic is better. Antiseptics delay healing, so should not be used on a daily basis to clean the wound.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
"Sterile" saline solution isfine for rinsing a wound --
Pam
I keep a bottle on hand just in case.....along with a bunch of gause pads.

Latest posts

Back