My vet recommended I don't get my Allie fixed....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjai

Reaction score
Hi All! I'm back with more questions. I took my Allie to the vet Saturday to have her checked out and all was well. I asked her about getting spayed and she said she wouldn't recommend it due to her age. Our best guess is that she's between 5-6 years old. So now I have a couple of questions. I've read that oncefemales hit this age without developing cancer, the chances they will develop it are pretty slim. Is this true?

My husband (the one who didn't really want another animal :)) and I both were thinking of adopting another rabbit so she'd have a buddy, and I realize that the adopted rabbit would be fixed, but since she won't be, is it still possible to bond her with another rabbit? Do any of you have altered/non-altered bonded bunnies? Is the bonding process more difficult? She's lived on her own her entire life, does that also make it more difficult? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hello,

I'm not sure about her chances for developing cancer. Maybe someone else here can answer that one.

It is possible to bond her with another rabbit, providing she isn't too territorial.

If I were you, I'd check out Petfinder.com or the local shelters to see if there are any rabbits available in your area. You could take Allie to "visit" one or more of the rabbits to see how she would react.She might like to "pick and choose" her new friend.

Best of luck!

Laura

Hi!

I have an fixed male and an unfixed female and they are the best of friends. I tried introducing them to another unfixed female and the two girls fought and have to be seperated all the time. It has been my experience that male/females get along better then two of the same sex.

Good luck,

Megan

Thanks Laura and Meghandawn. She doesn't appear to be territorial, she chins everything but she doesn't get agressive when I reach into her cage. She reacted well to my cats, and I'm hoping she'd react well to another bun.

There's so many people on here that have successfully bonded bunnies, and while I've read everything I can on it, there's nothing better than first hand experiences, so I thought this would be the place to ask.

Allowing her to pick is a great idea. :)

Radar and Pipp hated each other right off the bat, yet Radar and Darry bonded immediately. ButDarry didn'tbond for the year or more she was living with Dill (before I got them). AndDill bonded fairly quickly with Sherry (with persistence on Sherry's part).

So you never can tell!

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

There's no guarantee that she won't develop cancer or benign uterine tumors at this age, however, your vet is wise to be cautious about spaying at her age.

In this case, the risk of elective surgery is not recommended.

Pam

Hi,

One of my rabbits, Misty, is seven years-old. When I brought her to the vet for a check up, I inquired about her being spayed. My vet advised against it as well, due to her age. He fully examined her and felt all around her body and said there were no signs of cancer and she's in perfect health. So, fingers crossed. I haven't heard too many instances of elderly, female rabbits having cancer. I'm hoping that the odds are slim.

You know, it would probably do more damage to have most older female rabbits spayed than not, anyway. Misty, for example, has become more fearful and cranky in her old age. She used to be fine with car rides and going to the vet, but now it stresses her out and she's very agitated afterwards. Surgery would probably throw her off balance completely. Zeke, my year-old mini lop (male) was even veeery upset for a few days post-surgery!

Erin

I knew before going to the vet that we probably couldn't have her spayed. When I first got her my mom told me she was around 2, but after talking to her further we realized it had been much longer than that. I don't want to put her through surgery at this age.

I'm going to wait a little longer so that she's more adjusted to her new home, and if all seems well I'll look into getting another bun. Thanks for the replies!

It doesn't mean that she'll never have cancer or other uterine problems, as I've heard of older rabbits having problems discovered. But your vet is right. If she's possibly that old it's not worth the risk unless it's medically necessary.

I definately agree with the bunny dates. You'll have more success if you can find a rabbit that she actually likes instead of going by chance. I don't think her age will affect the bonding too much, although she may take a little time to learn how to communicate with another bunny again.

Latest posts

Back