My Twinkle's not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Twinkle is not well today and I'm pretty worried. I last saw her eat yesterday at about 4pm but she may have only taken a few bites of carrot (an irregular treat). Today she's making it pretty clear that she's not well - she hasn't eaten or drunk all day so far and is just laying flat, she looks like she's uncomfortable though as she keeps squirming. I've sat next to her and tried to force feed a mixture of water and pellets but she's not interested and is letting the mixture drip from her mouth rather than swallow it. Her stomach is making a loud gurgling noise every few minutes. She hasn't pooped or urinated all day as far as I know.

Please can anyone help with any remedies or any idea what might be wrong. The vets has already closed for today as they only do 3 hours on a Saturday but I'm reluctant to drag her off to the vets anyway - he already thinks I'm crazy as I keep taking my bunnies at the first sight of illness and most times he tells me they're fine and they do pick up the next day so I didn't want to rush her off just yet.

Thanks

Rebecca

Are their any emergency vets near by? Or a vet on call in your practice? If you can I'd take her too the vets as they'll be able to find thecause and give her the right medication. If not I'd keep syringe feeding her mushy pellets and water. Also try tempting her with different veggies and hay. Keep her moving aswell as that will get her gut moving, even if you have to chase her round a bit! Give her a gentle tummy rub aswell as that can help. I hope somebody else can give you some more advice and she improves soon! Xx:pray:

Sounds like gas to me. You can give her simethicone, which is found in baby gas meds. I'm not sure what the brand name over by you is. Exercise and tummy massage can help too.It's also really important to get her to drink some water. If you can't get any water in her you'll need a vet to give her sub-cutaneous fluids.

Take her on a car ride, or stick her carrier on top of a dryer. The vibration really helps to break gas up.

naturestee wrote:
Sounds like gas to me. You can give her simethicone, which is found in baby gas meds. I'm not sure what the brand name over by you is. Exercise and tummy massage can help too.It's also really important to get her to drink some water. If you can't get any water in her you'll need a vet to give her sub-cutaneous fluids.
It's called infacol. If you give her 2 ml if should help her with any gas.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your replies. I'm pleased to say that Twinkle improved by lots of Saturday. She just seemed to get better all of a sudden and was tempted by some bunny pellets and after that a little bit of lettuce.

By Sunday morning she was completely back to normal and hopping all over the place. I was glad that I hadn't rushed her to the vets and had sat it out a little.

Thanks for your concern and your help. I think without the forum I would have been in a far worse state of worry.

Rebecca xx

Oooh, she is a naughty bun but I'm sure we will all agree that there is no happier feeling than when a poorly bun poos for the first time and lazily takes a lettuce leaf or pellet after you've stuck it in their faces enough times!! Lol, xx

I'm so glad to hear that Twinkle is feeling better! :bunnydance:

It sounds like Twinkle had a bit of gas maybe.

Benji didn't eat the other morning and turned his nose up at EVERYTHINGI offered....even his favorite treat of dried papaya. I worried all day, called the vet, called home so someone could check on him, etc.

By the time I got home he had eaten everything in sight.

I figure that he was tweaked because I cleaned his eyes BEFORE breakfast instead of after.

~Jim

Back