My stepdad's update

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
He is in a lot of pain... cannot eat... was throwing up all day yesterday... the oxycodone is no longer working and my sister was calling hospice to see about a morphine drip...she said he walks with a shuffle now and his mouth is open and his speech is not goodbut he still is joking around and being a wise guy.

I am so glad I got to do lunch with him over Easter weekend. I am waiting to hear from my sister to see if I can help in anyway and alerted work that I may be back in CT sooner rather than later.

I feel bad he is suffering...and my sister said my presence had him more active and doing more things although it left him tired.

He loves the song "Paloma Blanca" (white dove) and always blasted it on his stereo... he wore the record out and has it on tape now... and he played it blasting during my visit... "una paloma blanca - I am just a bird in the sky... una paloma blanca - over the mountains I fly...no one can take my freedom away."

I hope they find a solution to his pain and give him freedom from that... I told him when he gets his wings, to make sure he stops in to visit.

Denise

I'm so sorry Denise :cry2

That's lovely that just seeing you gives him so much energy.

All I can really say is that my thoughts are with you both, and I hope they can provide him with some good pain relief.

Jen

My thoughts are with you and your family. :hug2:

Thank you for your kind thoughts... it means a lot to me from my RO family.

He raised me from a toddler... grew up with him through tough times in his marriage and divorce from my mom and him throwing me out of the house at age 18 due to my bulimia...but I have been at peace for years with him...and accepted his apology years ago after the troubled times...life is too short to go around carrying rotten baggage...una paloma blanca, for sure... One is never too old to lose a parent.

Denise

jcottonl02 wrote:

All I can really say is that my thoughts are with you both, and I hope they can provide him with some good pain relief.

Jen

It was amazing... he was grey in color when I first arrived and he had pink cheeks when I left.

That was a wonderful memory to keep... still waiting to hear from my sister if he has hospice at home or at the VA in CT...

Denise

DeniseJP wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:

Jen

It was amazing... he was grey in color when I first arrived and he had pink cheeks when I left.

That was a wonderful memory to keep
Having loved ones around you would mean the world in a time like that- u obviously bring such light into his life.

:hug1Hugs to you. Keep us posted. Anyone is here for u if you want to pm them.

Jen

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

you and your family will be in my thoughts.

Thank you. He had a trip to his doctor today to go over the CAT scan results... my sister is sleeping at his section of the house (he has an inlaw apartment there) and said he was resting comfortably last night...

I lost it last night when she called and cried for the first time since his diagnosis and I know that was not what she needed right now. She suggested a book she read by Brian Weiss - Many Lives, Many Masters and I read it cover to cover between last night and today and it made sense.

It is a nasty, nasty disease and I hope someday they find a cure for it...right now I am trying to stay strong so when I get "the call" I can be very strong.

Denise

Thank you... so far tonight is quiet... hope dad can get some rest without pain tonight.

I am also praying for my sister who is accompanying him through every doctor visit... every moment he has... she needs strength, too.

Denise

My thoughts are with you all

Jen

Thanks - his medication was increased and he met with the hospice nurse and social worker yesterday but I did not get the update from my sister as I was releasing pheasants on our farm... there was something spiritual about one bird - a rooster - Greg was trying to net one and I caught him barehanded on the fly. I carried him to the release point, showed him food and water and when I set him down, he spread his wings, flapped them, looked back at me for a moment and then he walked into the hedgerow and squawked in the way roosters do. Four of the five hens had similar releases... and they were not stressed. I hope dad's passing to the next life can be that gentle and free...

Denise

If you need anything let RO know.

We are all here for you

Thanks... the prayers have worked - the new meds allowed Dad to be pain free yesterday and no more stomach troubles... he got to spend time with his sister, nephew and his neighbor and he got a good night sleep.

The CD I purchased for him arrived today so I will express mail it to him so he can listen to it over the weekend.

Denise

Latest posts

Back