My son wants to join the army

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheryl

Reaction score
Oh boy,my eldest son Anthony who is 19 came home from work yesterday and told me that he's made an appointment to see someone about joining the army...he had been talking about it for a while now but i didn't really think he would go through with it...but i guess he is.

He has an appointment on 17th March...he really wants to do this as he just wants to do something goodwith his life....yeah,i say that's a big thing in a young man's life...i know it will be good for him...and i keep telling him i hope he's not going into this lightly...and it's tough...the training and everything....he say's...'mum stop worrying..i know what i'm doing'...and then i keep asking him all these questions....i know...i have to stop worrying about things.

If he gets accepted i won't see him for at least five years...this is the part i'm gonna hate...i know that i have to eventually let go,i cannot keep him foreverlol....i'm a single mum,i left my boys father years ago and my boys and bunnies are my world..i just wish they didn't have to grow up lol....and of course he would eventually move out of home one day anyway.....i know i'm gonna cry and miss him badly...i suppose like a normal mum...but it's gonna be hard.

My boys father has gone back to vietnam,so he has no idea what's going on,my boys have a vietnamese dad and i'm Australian...they have not heard from him for quite a while...i'm sure though that he would be proud of Anthony....but i guess he will never know....ohh well.

Anyway..i'm there all the way for Anthony...and i just know that joining the army will be good for him.

Maybe it will be good that he is joining the army. If thats what he wants, then I think it is a good idea:) Not seeing him for 5 years will be really hard for you :(

Im sure your friends and family will give you and Anthony lot's of support!

:hug:

My brother joined the army...for all things "because I think I need more structure in my life!" :D Yup that is David alright!:D

He recently completed his tour in Afganistan...it allowed him to put a little money away, travel and decide what to do with the rest of his life! He wasn't really decided where he wanted to go after high school.

He came home last year...enrolled in teaching college, got engaged and married!
He used to be one of those tall skinny kids too! lol
Basic training was a really good experience for him, filled him out some and he made some really great friends!

He kept in touch by phone everynight he called his mom! lol She missed him terribly but was ever so proud of him!:D

He is part of the reserves now but he loved his time in the army...I hope your son has a great experience too! I am sure he will love it!

Danielle

nicolevins wrote:
Maybe it will be good that he is joining the army. If thats what he wants, then I think it is a good idea:) Not seeing him for 5 years will be really hard for you :(

Im sure your friends and family will give you and Anthony lot's of support!

:hug:

Yeah,iknow this will be really good for him...as i think he needs some direction in his life kind of thing...i think he's getting tired of his job that he's doing now,he keeps saying he wants a change...but i think in a way he's like me and doesn't want to let anyone down...but sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

But yeah not seeing him for five years is gonna be hard.

Runestonez wrote:
My brother joined the army...for all things "because I think I need more structure in my life!" :D Yup that is David alright!:D

He recently completed his tour in Afganistan...it allowed him to put a little money away, travel and decide what to do with the rest of his life! He wasn't really decided where he wanted to go after high school.

He came home last year...enrolled in teaching college, got engaged and married!
He used to be one of those tall skinny kids too! lol
Basic training was a really good experience for him, filled him out some and he made some really great friends!

He kept in touch by phone everynight he called his mom! lol She missed him terribly but was ever so proud of him!:D

He is part of the reserves now but he loved his time in the army...I hope your son has a great experience too! I am sure he will love it!

Danielle
Yeah,that sounds like my Anthony,he needs something in his life,but i do think it's good that he's been thinking about things,he has surprised me really...to make that choice.

Anthony is also one of those tall skinny guys,he goes to the gym and everything,he takes after me...i have been thin all my life and cannot put the weight on...so he keeps telling me that if he gets into the army he will come home big and strong lol

I had also mentioned to him about joining the army reserves which is every weekend once a month....but no he doesn't want that,he wants to go for the five years and then whatever after that.

He keeps talking about it now,so i know he's looking forward to it...he's gonna come home a man...he says...boys lol.

I do keep saying,don't go into this lightly...it's a big step.

This is my son Anthony...just took this picture this afternoon.

017-2.jpg

I'm 19 and thought that somehow made me qualified to step in. Haha, not, I know. Anyway.

I understand needing structure. I'm in college right now, but if biology wasn't my thing I would be desperate to find it. I really understand needing something to help you put the pieces of yourself together. After I graduate I'm hoping to maybe be an army doctor.

Anyway, I guess my point is that its great that he knows he needs something. Thats a huge decision and I'm sure he didnt step into it lightly.

Don't you get to see him sometimes? I know the boys are gone a lot, but I thought they always got to come home for Christmas unless they were shipped out somewhere. He will probably be around some. :) I think you should be really proud, hes a handsome guy. :)

Luluznewz wrote:
I'm 19 and thought that somehow made me qualified to step in. Haha, not, I know. Anyway.

I understand needing structure. I'm in college right now, but if biology wasn't my thing I would be desperate to find it. I really understand needing something to help you put the pieces of yourself together. After I graduate I'm hoping to maybe be an army doctor.

Anyway, I guess my point is that its great that he knows he needs something. Thats a huge decision and I'm sure he didnt step into it lightly.

Don't you get to see him sometimes? I know the boys are gone a lot, but I thought they always got to come home for Christmas unless they were shipped out somewhere. He will probably be around some. :) I think you should be really proud, hes a handsome guy. :)
Yep this is the whole reason he has taken me by surprise,i never really thought he would have chosen to go down that path....but of course i'm so proud of him that he did make that decision...and i will just wait to see how things go after he has his interview.

I have no idea about the coming home stuff as this is all new to me as well,it would be good if he is able to come home every now and again....but i do know there will be phone calls and letters.

He was telling me today that his friends wish that he wasn't doing this but they will always be there for him....Anthony has such a nice group of friends.

Wow your thinking about maybebeing an army doctor..that's great!

How are the Army benefits down there in Aus?
Up here in Canada, you sign on for a few rounds, and walk out with a super pension. They also pay the shot for any education you are interested in.

He will have some incredible opportunities coming out of the Army...
Congrats to him! An opportunity to do honourable acts for sure!

I have no idea about the benefits..Anthony will find out more info when he goes to the interview..i know the pay is good though.

I just think it's an incredible opportunity for him!

he's looking very forward to it.

you must be so proud of him - that is one fine young man. he's obviously giving this a lot of thought and i wish him well for his interview.

my late father in law was a Lt Colonel but none of his sons or grandsons have, or are thinking about, following in his footsteps.

my son is nearly 17 and striking out on his own. i think you may be a little like me, suddenly he's grown up and not my little boy anymore!!:tears2:

Yep Donna..that is exactly how it is...I often think..gee where have the years gone,they have gone by so quick.

And yeah i'm extremely proud

And thanks..i'll tell Anthony

Anthony received his papers today..for the interview...and a few that he has to get signed in front of a JP (justice of the peace).

Anthony got another call today from someone from the army....he said the guy was telling him a little bit about what will happen and whatnot...and he said the guy was asking him questionslike if he makes his bed..does his ironing..do the dishes...i mean when Anthony was telling me this..i had to laugh...cause he does none of those things! lol

Anthony is a very fit young man...he does scaffolding and works on construction sites,he's not scared of heights as he's high up as well...the guy today asked him if he was scared of heights...cause he will have to learn how to jump from a plane.

Also when he enters the army and starts his training..he will have to go interstate to Melbourne for three months to do his training...

It's all looking good for Anthony :D

I have a friend who is in the army. He's 18 years old, and today was his last day of school before going off to finish training for his summer deployment.

It was pretty bittersweet today when all of our classmates were telling him what we liked the most about him; I had to focus hard on my bagel to keep from crying. I've only known him 5 months, and I'm going to miss him like crazy.

I think your son will be glad that he joined and got to serve his country. :) And I know what you must be feeling with the thought of him being gone so long. (hugs)

Emily

Yeah,i know Anthony's friends are all gonna be the same way,they don't want him to go...he has such a great group of friends that he has known since primary school...i'm sure it's going to be a bittersweet time for us all.

And thanks Emily :)

Just thought i would post a silly picture of Anthony....he doesn't like me taking his pictures..but i alway's make him lol

073-4.jpg

I think its great your son wants to serve, it is an honor to serve your country and protect the freedoms and rights of others. My son is serving now and I couldn't be more proud of him.

Now there is nothing wrong with the Army, but, the Air Force is soooo much better. Whatever he decides it will be a experience that he will draw on during his life.

Yep,i think it's a great thing as well Dave...i couldn't be more happier for him.

Is your son in the army or the air force?...i think the air force would have been a great choice as well...Anthony was also thinking about the Navy as well...the Navy would have been good as well...but he chose the Army....either way he's doing something for his country...he will have some great prospects later in life.

He went to the beach this afternoon with his mate Nathan..to go jogging on the beach,he wants to do as much as he can,for when he has his fitness test.

That's awesome Dave...i remember reading in a thread a while ago that you were in the air force..it's great that your son has gone into such a great thing.

Yeah Anthony is really keen on this so he's doing all the fitness he can..he just really wants this.

My friend had a brother in the army and he unfortunately came back in a coffin. It's a dangerous thing to do but it's a noble thing. As long as he knows the risks and benefits and is doing it for the right reasons you should support him. Being so young and making such a big decision is admirable.

Latest posts

Back