My sick pets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted on RO probably over a month ago about Babette, her continuing respiratory infections and her dosage of arithromycin. Randy ( and naturestee) reaffirmed that her dosage was too low and Randy suggested I have my vet go on VIN to get the proper dosage of 50 kg /lbs. My vet would not raise the dosage and since I need him for other various problems with my other rabbits I could not alienate him by arguing for a bigger dosage. This truly has bummed me out. I have no one else to go to.
I attempted to order it ( pretended for myself) on an on-line pharmacy but could not order because I don't have a Visa card but only an MC. In the meantime Babette is still on the lower dosage and has lost weight. She is also showing signs of EC (hind end weakness) and generally is just going day by day. I don't feel that she will be with me for too long a time.
Beau has developed a sore on the bottom of his foot practically on the joint between the foot and the leg and will be going to the vet on Mon.

Gabriel has been neutered and for awhile after the surgery was coughing ...I think it was from the stress of the surgery because he seems fine now.
My cat ,William has been having diarrhea and loss of appetite.
In general I am very much not myself . I think it is mainly feeling helpless and frustrated because I can't get the proper care for my rabbits and in addition to that I have spent so much time and money at the vets with all my pets.

Shouldn't this be moved to the Infirmary? I can't do that but if necessary a mod can.

I moved this for you!

I'm so sorry for what you're going through....I wish I had more help...

Peg

Hi Peg :)

How are your rabbits? Are they eating yet?

Thanks for the info on Panacur

I am going to wait until Babette is off zithromax to start tx for Ec. I know that she needs the antibiotic so I am trying to keep her on it for several months. She has become more debilitated being on the zithromax. I would describe her as being sort of out of it ..she eats OK but less than her normal amount. For a long time she has had what I thought was arthritis in her hind legs but since she has been on the zithromax she is exhibiting some left legged weakness and in general is having more problems . It is only recently that I recognized this as probably being Ec. I am fairly sure that 2 drugs at once may be too much for her.

When she started on the drug she was having nasal dischage, difficult respirations and coughing. Now these sympoms have dissipated so I want to make sure that the respiratory problems are in check before attempting to deal with another issue.

Since the dosage of the zithromax is not that high I have reservations over whether she has been treated adequately. Time will tell.

I am sorry to hear you are going through so much. I can't help wondering if the vet I use could help with the whole prescription thing.....? I have known him for years and could talk to him about it if you like. (Btw, this is Kim-mom of Felicity)

Dear angieluv, adding support vibes for all you do for those beloved family furries. You'll need some extra hugs...:hug1Wanna pop this in here until we connect offline.

Boy oh boy, Gabriel is so fortunate he wasn't left in the driveway. Hang in there. Hope a reprieve will lighten, brighten your extra kind heart and reward you for "being you" to those you deeply care for.

I just returned from the vet. The "sore" on Beau's leg is a pressure sore. It is not a big deal. I have the enclosure for Babette and Beau lined with towels and sheets because she has a lot of trouble maneuvering on a bare floor. I guess his feet are irritated from the fabrics.

Since she got sick I have put bleach in the wash because I am frightened that I will use a towel that was hersfor another rabbit and maybe spread something. The towels and sheets are probably not soft.

The vet said I could put shea butter on the sore area. What do others think of that or is their something better?

I'd go for Bag Balm, which is frequently used for sore hocks and dogs with sore paws. I used it on Oberon's calloused/sore hocks and gave most of the rest of it to my friend who had tried multiple other ointments for his dogs winter-sore feet with no success. It worked for me and it worked for my friend.

I found mine in the dog medicine section at Walmart, and I saw it at Fleet Farm yesterday with the cow medicines (bag=udder).

Hi Maureen,

Sorry to hear about this! If there's any way I can help, let me know. I'd be happy to ask questions of my rabbit vet if you want another opinion.

Cara

P.S.- Notice The Princess is in my avatar :)She's doing well!

Thanks Angela ..I was just in farm and fleet and I know they have bag balm.
Cara.. I will pm you later about your vet's opinion.

I know that Babette is on too low a dose but at the present time I don't know whether she could physically handle the correct dose so I am less in a hurry to get it.

Since I got home I noticed that Beau's stomach feels really tight and I don't think that he is pooping. I guess I'm not going to get a reprieve from a problem after all!!

I am so sorry to hear of all your troubles. I can't help much with advice for the buns, but I am pretty knowledgeable w/cats (mine - TBone is 19 and she's had many battles). She too had diarrhea and after many vets visits that did nothing someone suggested switching her food to Enova Evo (all meat no veg or fillers) and she perked right up. I think she had irritable bowel and I swear this food alone solved many problems. You can find it at most pet stores (but not Petco).. Good luck with the rest of your pack..

The other option for Babette, and I wouldn't even say this with most people, is to treat her yourself with injected penicillin. I know you can get it from Fleet Farm. It's a matter of do you want to switch her meds again, especially with her doing poorly, and do you feel comfortable going without a vet? Or maybe you could talk over the phone with Cara's vet, my vet, or another one you trust (Julie's is supposed to be good).

I wonder if Benebac would make Babette feel better? Maybe she's getting a bit of an upset tummy from the Zithromax. Apparently some farm stores sell it in large tubes for horses that are much less expensive than buying the little ones at pet stores, but Fleet Farm does not carry it. That's what I was actually there looking for yesterday. But maybe a feed mill would have it? My vet has larger tubes too, I'll probably just get one from them. And those tubes have a dial-a-dose thing that lets you dispense measured amounts.

Hi juliew
My cat William has been on exactly the same food for several yrs. it is cannedPro-plan wt management turkety and rice. I can't understand why he would be able to eat it OK one day and not the next. I am trying toto partially evaluate the situationbefore I take him to the vet so that maybe they don't have to run hundreds of dollars worth of tests on him

he is 12 yrs old and has been OK (except for occasional respiratory infections). . I actually wondered if the food could be tainted like last yrs food so I went out and bought another lot # but he seems unchanged... I plan to take him to the vet mid or late this week.

Sorry about talking about the cat in a rabbit infirmary

Angela,

I have been playing with the idea of giving penicillin injections (or bicillin) which is available at farm and fleet. I have one big problem...I do not have access to lactated ringers to mix it with . I have looked to see if I could buy sterile solutions on-line but I don't think so. I would have to use the syringes which are also sold at Fand F. I still have some reservations but would strongly consider doing this if I am convinced I have the procedure downcorrectly.

Randy had talked about the use ofbutterfly needles which are flexible and I thought I wouldn't have access to them but I think that I could do the injections if I made up my mind with a regular syringe and needle

I haven't givenpenicillin to a rabbit before but when I was petsitting I did give SQ solutions to a cat, and also to my dog when she was in kidney failureso I think that I could do it ..plus having a medical background

I forgot to mention that I already have Babette on bene-bac.

Her GI system is still affected, however , I am less concerned with that and more concerned with her wt loss and the neurological symptoms that she has developed since being on this med.

The respiratory symptoms were so bad that I am afraid to take her off it.

Ask on Etherbun, I remember someone knowing a great site for ordering various syringes including good ones for feeding. Maybe you could get the right needles there too?

I'm not sure where to get the lactated ringers though. Any chance Fleet Farm has injected electrolyte solutions? That's mainly what that is, right?

If she is having that bad of side effects from the Zithromax, then it might be a good idea to switch meds. I wish there was a way to tell what is from the meds and what is from her being ill and worn out.:?

Farm and Fleet has injectable dextrose but not anything I could mix with.
There is the possibility that I could get some from the shelter .....

I didn't want to ask On EB because I would probably be told I should get it from a vet.

I guess this is another project I should be working on.....at least I know that I can get the bag balm from farm and fleet.

Back