my rabbits tumor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mykorey

Reaction score
Hey..I'm autumn andI'm 17. I'm in new york andI have 1 rabbit named Korey. I've had him for about 3years, making him about 4.

He has a tumor that's been growing so fast on his neck. He has a vet appointment on Saturday (today is Thursday) that my mom is paying for. But it's only to look at it, not surgery. She won't pay for the surgery. I've been trying my hardest at getting a new job since I quit my old on in August. I even tried reapplying to my old job. Nobody has hired me yet. I have no way of getting Korey's surgery done. I feel so helpless right now, and I know I'm going to have to sit and watch my rabbit die. And there's nothing I can do..

I don't really know why I shared that but I had to tell somebody. This is tearing me apart. He's not my only pet but..he's Korey..Everyone knows Korey. I can't stand this. He's so sweet, and he even jumps up and sleeps in my bed every night. I just don't know what to do.

I'm so sorry to hear about yourbaby. I'll say an extra prayer for the two of you tonight. It's always nice to get your feelings out, even if it is to complete strangers.

im 17 too, and i know what you mean. i just went through a lost of a bird, and i knew she was dying, but i couldnt do anything, and for weeks she was so weak, and couldnt fly. and ya she was.. Chloe, everyones favorite! so im sorry. maybe you can ask neighbors if you can babysit for them, or something like that if a job won't hire you. I really do wish you the best, i know its painful right now. But my advice to you is to love that bunny so much right now.spend every available minute with it!

Maybe the vet might let you work off part of the surgery costs? All you can do is make your best pitch.

This post made me cry, I'm so sorry.:cry1:

Maybe they can fix it in an affordable way. :pray:

Here's something I posted in another thread a while ago. I'll post it again for your mom.

sas :expressionless

"Just A Rabbit"

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a rabbit," or, "that's a lot of money for just a rabbit."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a rabbit." Some of my most memorable moments have come about with "just a rabbit."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a rabbit," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a rabbit," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a rabbit" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a rabbit," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a rabbit" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a rabbit" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a rabbit" I will rise to meet a challenging day, and start it with a smile. And no matter what challenges I may lose today, there will be more smiles to compensate. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a rabbit" but an embodiment of all that's soft,kind, calming, caring and funny -- the enthusiasm for the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a rabbit" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a rabbit" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a rabbit." just smile,because they "just don't understand."

... adapted from �Musings� by Richard Biby, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Has this tumor ever been checked out before? It might just be an abscess, which shouldnt be too much to remove..

Another option, have you checked out Pet Insurance? Im not sure if youre in the US or not, but Ive found it to be a lifesaver. I pay only 24 dollars a month for 2 rabbits, and they cover almost everything (minus a 50.00 deductible per incident).

It might be something to check out. If your rabbit hasnt been seen yet, this wouldnt be a preexisting condition..

I'll be keeping your little one in my thoughts and prayers.

Haley

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time you are going through. I am thinking of you and your bunny. :hug2:

I know this might not be an option for you, but have you thought about selling some old things you don't use or need on ebay?

I have a $500 vet bill I will need to pay next week, and I came up with the money by selling some clothing and CD's on ebay andselling my old uni books at a secondhand book store. It only look a couple of days to organise it all.

Or maybe your mum would let you borrow the money, or you could ask if the surgery could be your Christmas present?

Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you.

Lots of love,

Eve

I had a bunny, Jacques that passed away several months ago from cancer. His tumor was cancerous and I did have it removed but almost immediately it grew back again. I hope your bunny doesn't have cancer but if the vet aspirated fluid from the mass and was able to tell if it was a malignancy it may not even help to have surgery. I think the idea of getting pet insurance BEFORE the illness is diagnosed is a great idea...all vets are so expensive and I wish that I had gotten it for several of my bunnies who already have medical problems...sorry that this had to happen to your sweet bunny

I am so sorry.

I also have a Pet insurance for my rabbit Petter. I live in Norway and pays 70 dollar for one year.

I am so happy that I have this insurance, because my rabbit needed a surgery last year.

Tell us what happens.

Good and bad news. The good news is, it wasn't a tumor, it was an abscess. The vet took out 33cc of liquid .. I have no idea what that is but he said it was a lot of fluid.

The bad news is that he said it's very hard to treat abscesses in rabbits. He gave us medicine to give to Korey 2x a day for like 2weeks, but he said it may or may not cure it. And if it doesn't he may need surgery. I hope it cures it!

Does anyone have suggestions for getting Korey to eat his medicine?It's in tablet form..I crushed it and put it in some applesauce for him, but I don't want to do this too much because applesauce seems like it would have a lot of sugar in it. Especially the way he jumps for it (lol).

That is actually good news! Abscesses are difficult to treat, but not impossible. The best way to get rid of them is to completely remove the entire abscess. Ive become quite a pro on abscesses lately. My Max had an abscess at the root of his front tooth and had to have the tooth and abscess surgically removed.Then, my Basil had an abscess on his cheek. That one was easy, the vet put him out for about 10 minutes, sliced a whole in his cheek and popped the entire abscess right out.

If your vet just drained it, that probably wont be enough. (And yes, 33ccs is a lot!). What kind of antibiotics did the vet give you? Im guessing Baytril? You should read up on abscesses in our resource center. Theres so much info there. A lot of times if the entire abscess cant be removed, injections of Bicillin can be used(these are very strong antibiotics). Oral antibiotics usually arent enough to cut it. Maybe you could read up on it and speak to your vet if he's not looking better soon.

For the pills, applesauce should be fine as long as its not a lot. Canned pumpkin (100% pure) works well too, and is healthier.

I hope he gets well soon. Dang these abscesses!

EDIT: I just noticed this is in the RO forum, Im gonna move it to the infirmary :D

Korey's abscess is in his cheek. I'm glad you said your rabbit's was easy to remove. The problem is the vet bill ...

I think the vet drained it just to relieve Korey for a while..it was getting pretty big on his face.

The medicine is Baytril. I have another appointment December 2 so the vet can check up on him.

Basil's was about the size of a marble. I caught it right away (pretty much the day it developed..I was getting paranoid about illness and checking the boys over daily). Did you check with the vet to see if maybe they have a payment plan? Or call around to other vets in your area to see if anyone does? Maybe you could offer to do chores for your parents (or babysit or something) to work it off?

For Basil's abscess, it cost about 160 to remove. They didnt need to put him on antibiotics afterward because they were able to completely remove the abscess. Its been about 2 months now and no sign of it coming back :D

I hope your little guy gets well soon.

Heres our link with more info of youre interested in reading up:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

I won't be able to do chores (we don't have the absolute best family in the world..they're not gonna pay me lol) ..might try the babysitting though. Hopefully I'll get a new job in time!I didn't check for a payment plan yet, I'm going to ask at the next appointment. Thank you so much for the link, I'm about to click it when I'm done with this.

The vet appointment yesterday came to $155. It included the visit($37), the antibiotics, the draining, and something else .. Can't remember.

Latest posts

Back