My Rabbits Neuter Is Tomorrow, any advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutdabunny

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I am sooooo scarred, after I lost my first bunny in a spay I am thinking of this neuter as a death sentence for my bunny. I know it’s crazy to think. I am going to a low cost spay and neuter but they seem to know what they are doing. Im so scared! Please help

Don’t stress so much!😊 neuters aren’t as invasive into your rabbits body as a spay surgery is. It just two small incisions. Your bun will really just be grouchy and tired for a day or two until the anesthesia wears off🙂 just keep his enclosure and incision site clean and peanut should be good to go! I hope this helped!

The surgery is not that invasive as with females and so not dangerous, it is anesthesia that could be dangerous since vets who are not familiar with rabbits sometimes overdose it and I've heard of cases when boys simply never woke up after it. The other danger would be if you fasten your rabbit before neutering as many vets unfamiliar with rabbits ask you to do so because this is requirement for cats and dogs, this can lead to GI stasis and you should never do that to your rabbit, they must eat right until they go on the table.
Hope your boy will be alright, just keep an eye on him after he wakes up so he won't pick up the stitches, and restrict his area so he won't be able to exercise, remove all shelves too, make it flat and small for at least first week after neutering. Please keep us updated how it goes, good luck!

Keep him warm. They can get hypothermic following anesthesia, and a cold rabbit is less inclined to want to eat, which is opposite of what you want to happen.

Make sure the vet sends you home with pain meds. I prefer meloxicam dosed at the higher recommended level(0.6mg/kg, twice a day). A rabbit in pain won't want to eat. Plus meloxicam is a NSAID so will help reduce inflammation.

Make sure he is eating fairly well within 24 hrs from the time you dropped him off. I have the best luck starting them eating again by offering their usual leafy greens. If he isn't eating by the next morning following surgery, phone your vet as you will need syringe feeding mix and instructions on feeding.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Keep him warm. They can get hypothermic following anesthesia, and a cold rabbit is less inclined to want to eat, which is opposite of what you want to happen.

Make sure the vet sends you home with pain meds. I prefer meloxicam dosed at the higher recommended level(0.6mg/kg, twice a day). A rabbit in pain won't want to eat. Plus meloxicam is a NSAID so will help reduce inflammation.

Make sure he is eating fairly well within 24 hrs from the time you dropped him off. I have the best luck starting them eating again by offering their usual leafy greens. If he isn't eating by the next morning following surgery, phone your vet as you will need syringe feeding mix and instructions on feeding.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html
He didn’t seem too stressed in the car, he was munching away at his hay up intill I had to give him to the vet, they said to give them some hay and pellets to feed him when he wakes up, they are giving us pain meds, he even flopped in his carrier is this normal?

Attachments

• 8BEBE950-205D-4114-8CC2-5CE02E141E6A.jpeg
    8BEBE950-205D-4114-8CC2-5CE02E141E6A.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 2
Yes! It seems that he's pretty content, and flopping like that means he's not super uncomfortable. If he's beginning to eat soon after ( Storm was already nibbling hay when we picked him up roughly 3hrs after we had dropped him off) then he is on his way to great recovery.

After Pumpkin got neutered, he was very sulky and tired and sat in his hidey house for the rest of the day. But he was eating food from my hand so that was good. Give him lots of pets afterwards to show him you love❤. Some problems I noticed was that he didn't want to take his medicine from the syringe. So what I had to do was put in on his carrot peel treats and feed it to him that way. Another problem was that he really wanted to take out his stitches. Make sure you keep an eye on him so he doesn't rip them out.

Back