My rabbits just LOVE...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolpertinger

Reaction score
..chewing on our baseboards, and I can't seem to break them of it. I've tried making loud, startling noises, blowing air at them (with one of those air can things used to clean dust out of your keyboard), and putting them in their cages when I catch them doing it. What am I doing wrong???

If anyone has any advice to help me out, that would be SO greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

I would try a multipronged attack of preventing access as much as possible (management, preventing them from practicing the behaviour any further) as well as providing them with and redirecting to appropriate chew items (you'll want to have lots of them, of different types and textures, of high value to the buns and rotated frequently to prevent boredom) and upping your overall environmental enrichment offerings because bored buns are the ones who are going to get into the most trouble.

Be careful with the air things, they usually have a cleaning agent in them :p

You could spray your baseboards with something like Lemon Juice or Apple Cider.. they most likely wont like the taste.
Also, making sure they have other toys to chew on will help them, cope.

Brandy456 wrote:
Be careful with the air things, they usually have a cleaning agent in them :p

You could spray your baseboards with something like Lemon Juice or Apple Cider.. they most likely wont like the taste.
Also, making sure they have other toys to chew on will help them, cope.
the lemon juice and apple cider probably won't work, seeing that rabbits like things that are bitter. >.<

I should get them toys, 'cause just playing doesn't seem to be enough. What should I get? I read that they like bird toys, with the bells and stuff. Would that be ok?

My rabbits always picked there favorite spots to chew. I would put toys in front of that spot or boxes. You can take a cardboard box cut a hole or two in it and they will have lots of fun with it and hopefully leave the baseboards alone. Phone book and toilet paper or paper towel rolls are also free things they will have fun with. I have a couple bird toys and baby keys. Things that they can throw and make noise. They love to hear the noise when they toss it. Most of my toys I buy off bunnybytes.com though.

Amy27 wrote:
My rabbits always picked there favorite spots to chew. I would put toys in front of that spot or boxes. You can take a cardboard box cut a hole or two in it and they will have lots of fun with it and hopefully leave the baseboards alone. Phone book and toilet paper or paper towel rolls are also free things they will have fun with. I have a couple bird toys and baby keys. Things that they can throw and make noise. They love to hear the noise when they toss it. Most of my toys I buy off bunnybytes.com though.
Oh, we have boxes galore! (thanks to my roommate that works in a liquor store. :p) They really do like them: its fun to watch them jump in/around/on them.... the only thing that I DON'T like about them is when they chew on them in the middle of them night. :rollseyes

I'll see if they like the phone book thing, since they do enjoy shredding things... like the TP in the bathroom. lol. Thanks for the site, btw. I shall invest in it.

Latest posts

Back