My rabbit's hutch is an eyesore [HIDEOUS] :(?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broderick

Reaction score
When I first purchased the rabbit hutch it was fairly decent looking. But with the modifications and additions that I've added over the past year its become less and less so. However, I've added these to benefit the rabbit and make sure she's as comfortable as can be.

To preface these pictures I'll apologize for their poor iPhone quality and the cheesy text :p

This is the downstairs:
76782855.jpg

She likes to sleep on towels. The towel being obviously too long I fold it up in this manner. I fold the excess up on one side in front of the ramp (one of her favorite places to nap). It makes that spot thicker and more cushion-y. The grass mat covers up the wood which for some reason she dislikes very much. The basket is where she likes to play with her toys. She also likes to chew on the basket itself.

Top Floor:
97845621.jpg

I had to add the metal piece in (it loops through food bowl and is tied on the outside/trimmed so she doesn't get hurt) to the bowl because she kept throwing it around. The non-matching wood pieces were added in to prevent wood bedding from falling onto the floor. I had to add in the bedding because she likes to go potty in those corners for some reason. This is a very recent thing. She only started doing this within the past month. Its annoying. :rollseyes She mostly goes in her litterbox, but will occasionally leave some droppings there. Once again I have the grass mat down because she doesn't like the wood. Ha.

These are her sleeping quarters and the conveniently placed storage shelf:
32786790.jpg

I have a (very expensive/high quality) towel placed in the same manner as on the first floor. She sleeps in the back part. She comes up front and sticks her head out for a drink or to eat. This is where I generally place her bowl of freshly prepared fruits and veggies. She also likes to throw around her toys in here. Above is where I have neatly crammed all of her supplies (food, hay, snacks, treats, extra toys, organic and pet-safe wipes for emergencies, grooming supplies, etc).

Complete view of entire hutch:
82200427.jpg

The hay is up on her comfort shelf. She likes to lay up there and sunbathe. There's a nearby window that provides a lot of light. I also place fresh food here.

Any opinions, suggestions, or general comments? :?:shock::pray:

Maybe I'm thinking from the rabbits point of view but i wish my cage looked that good! Awesome size. All i can think of is to restain the wood to match furniture?

I was wanting to restain the wood, but I don't really know how. I can probably hire someone to do it, ha.

Speaking of the size... Is it large enough to house another rabbit? I was really wanting to purchase another bunny to keep her company.

:wave:

That's really a nice size rabbit hutch. Plus your supplies are all in one place. Very organized. But I wouldn't stain it. Treated wood is bad for rabbits. Most hutches are untreated wood.

I would think a friend would fit in there just fine.

K :)

Oooohhhh, I didn't know treated wood was bad for rabbits! My hutch isn't "color treated", but its "weather treated". If I recall when I received the package it said that. I'm pretty sure my hutch was intended to be outside. But I can probably just buy matching wood. The only reason why I have those up are because the shavings fall out and get all over the place. Kind of annoying, ha!

This is my first rabbit and its really been a learning curve. How do I properly introduce a new rabbit? Is there a good webpage/site that you guys recommend that explains it well?

Broderick wrote:
Oooohhhh, I didn't know treated wood was bad for rabbits! My hutch isn't "color treated", but its "weather treated". If I recall when I received the package it said that. I'm pretty sure my hutch was intended to be outside. But I can probably just buy matching wood. The only reason why I have those up are because the shavings fall out and get all over the place. Kind of annoying, ha!

This is my first rabbit and its really been a learning curve. How do I properly introduce a new rabbit? Is there a good webpage/site that you guys recommend that explains it well?
Definitely a learning curve with rabbits. Can't believe how much I've learned and experienced since I've got them.

Just make sure no chewing is being done on the wood, all will be fine.

Here something that I've found in the Library here to help with bonding bunnies.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Good Luck!

K :)

that's so gorgeous!
Doesn't that wood shavings stuff get flicked around everywhere? lol

my buns can't even keep their hay in their litter box half the time :p

They do a bit, but both my rabbit and I are pretty anal about keeping the cage clean. I clean her cage pretty often. She's actually good at keeping her hutch clean. She'll move her towels, the basket, mats, etc around as she sees fit. The basket used to be upstairs in her little den. Not sure how she managed to get it down to where it is now. O.O

Glad you guys like my cage. I'm always trying to improve it for her. I've always wanted to make the "comfort shelf" into an entire third floor. Haha.

EDIT: BTW, I didn't notice the Housing subforum. I couldn't find it originally which is why I posted here. Fail on my part. I blame my phone!

That's right when I was building my hutch we had to use untreated wood. Glad y'all caught that I haven't had to use wood in a long time.

How big is your bunny?

Broderick wrote:
EDIT: BTW, I didn't notice the Housing subforum. I couldn't find it originally which is why I posted here. Fail on my part. I blame my phone!
I moved it to housing for you :)

The only thing I see that is needed is a hay rack. Staining is easy--wipe on and wipe off any excess. Instructions are usually on the can--so easy I can do it! Just look till you find some that are a natural product that can't hurt if it gets ingested.

I think my lionhead rabbit is larger than the average? She's like 14 inches / 7-8 pounds. She's really different than most of the other lionhead rabbits I've seen.

And yeah, thanks for pointing out the hay rack. Hers recently broke. I haven't yet gotten around to buying a new one (kind of actually forgot). I'll do that today.

BTW, thanks for moving my thread to the correct location :eek:!

I think it looks nice C:

Two suggestions of mine would be changing the bun's food (sorry, a bit off topic), because corn isn't exactly good for them. A plain, boring-looking pellet is always best C:

AND I would probably move the bottle (looks like it hangs over the pellet dish?) If it drips it might make the pellets soggy and let them mold!

Anyways, looks great, and I wish you the best of luck C:

I moved the water bottle over.

I just looked corn up! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I definitely will go back to plain old pellets. Our housekeeper picked this up while grocery shopping and stuff. She really liked it though. Ugh. I hope she's fine.

The Wild Harvest Rabbit Blend consists of crunchy nuts, tasty seeds, wholesome vegetables, and fruits in a size rabbits can bite and chew easily. This Wild Harvest rabbit food offers optimum nutrition, dietary variety, and great taste. In addition, this rabbit food is fortified with minerals, amino acids, and vitamins. The Timothy Hay for rabbits provides additional fiber and is available in

Latest posts

Back