My rabbits have just had babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyNBuster

Reaction score
Home of the white rabbits, , United Kingdom
We bought 2 baby polish dwarfs forour daughter last summer and was told that we had got 2 girls. However,today we came to feed them and i noticed a nest with lots of wrigglinglittle babies. I don't know the first thing about keepingthem only I have removed the male and I haven't touched thebabies. Am I right to move the male or is he ok with them?The babies seem to be fine but I would really appreciate anyadvicefrom anyone as this seem horrible but I am at a bit ofa loss here as it came as such a shock and I dont know anything aboutkeeping babies. One other thing that i have done is i havekept the bedding part as it is but in the feeding partIhaveadded more hay and sawdust in the hopethatif she needed it, itis there -wasthat right and when is it ok to handle the babies? Is it when they areeating on their own and coming out into the eating part?

Thanks for any help

Vickie

Remove the male (buck) ASAP. It's verylikely he has already mated again with the doe and you may have anotherlitter in 31 days. Babies usually do best when confined to abox so they don't "wander" away and get cold. The scent thedoe leaves at the nest *should* keep them in that area though.

It's fine to check the babies daily and be sure there are no dead onesin the nest. Offering the doe a little treat will usuallykeep her busy while you examine the nest. Do not be concernedthat your scent will cause harm.

As the babies grow, slightly increase the doe's feed. Thebabies will begin to nibble on the mother's feed and hay at about 2weeks when their eyes have opened and they begin to leave the nest.

Keep the nest dry, and removed wet, soiled material, but do notcompletely clean the nest out as the doe's scent in thenestis important. The babies will often leave andtry to *find* their nest if you replace all the bedding material.

You will need to separate the babies by sex by 12 weeks of age.

Pam

Pam

Thanks very much for your advice and replying so quickly- I'mreally grateful-I haven't told my daughter yet asshe is only 3 and I would prefer to wait until they are a bit biggerjust in case! Hopefully the babies will befine-all I can donow is letnature take its course. My sister said she will havebusterfor the time being so at least hes got a new home fornow. Just another question though. I'm thinking of gettingher neutered (when the babies have grown and obviously I'll make sureshe's not pregnant again first) but will I be able to put them backtogether after that or would you advice me to keep them separate now.

Thanks again

Vickie

Once the buck and doe are separate, it's possiblethey may fight after the doe is spayed and they have beenre-introduced. The buck will continue to try to mate withher, so I'd advise neutering the buck instead.

Gestation is 31 days, so you can mark on the calendar when you are past the "safe" date for any morepossible babies.

Good luck with the little ones!

Pam

You mentioned putting in more "sawdust"?What do you mean? Saw dust can be very dangerous for buns asthey can inhale it. I hope you mean pine shavings, which isfine for bedding. I put it in the bottom of my nest boxes andput the hay on top. Good luck with you unexpectedadditions. Donna

Oh. Forgot, you should put the whole nest into anest box, a cardboard box will do in a pinch. Just cut outone side in a half circle about 4 inches high. This will keepthe babies in and safe from wandering until their eyes open at about 2weeks. Donna

Sorry I may have shocked you :shock:YeahI mean the shavings. I was worried myself when I first read your replyas I thought "I've been giving them something that could kill them andits something my pet shop recommended". But no its shavings that I'vebought each time from the pet shop that I got my bunnies from and itsespecially for rabbits and guinea pigs.

Pam~ you advised meto neuter my buck rather than my doe as hewill still try to mate her. I have heard that all does should beneutered anyway to a risk of ovarian cancer. Is this a fact or just amyth? If this is the case then I will get both of them done.

It is a fact that spaying eliminates the risk ofcancer to the removed reproductive organs of the doe. Uterinetumors in does are not uncommon.

Pam N.

Back