my rabbits have just been spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynne

Reaction score
my 2 rabbits have been spayed today and not eaten anything yet is that normal,my vet said i have to get them to eat soon as poss but they havent as yet and should i have been given pain killers for them because i got nothing,im working all day tomorrow so i wont know if they have eaten ought till i get home, is that too long for them to be left if they havent eaten ought,id be greatful for any advise thank you

it is important, in my opinion, to have pain meds for a spay that is a very big operation and if a rabbit is hurting she isnt going to want to eat, and a rabbit that doesnt eat is heading for problems. My guys were offered food right away after surgery. you could try to intice her with some things that she likes, maybe her favorite food. I would call the vet and tell them you WANT pain meds and give them to her immediately.

Maybe try some canned pumpkin , if she likes that. I did that with my female when she was spayed and she was not qwuite eating right away i put some pumpkin on pieces of hay and hand fed each one to her,lol.

It's pretty common for rabbit's not to be interested in food after the surgery. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. Try offering food and water by hand in case they are too uncomfortable to get it themselves. Also, try offering their favorite foods. It's important to keep them calm, stress free, and make sure they don't move or jump around. I've read that if your rabbit isn't eating some food within 12 hours to contact your vet. Not all vets give pain meds to bring home because while it does help relieve the pain, it can also make the rabbit unwilling to eat. However, both I've always been given pain meds to bring home after a bunny spay or neuter.

Yes, rabbits should have some form of take-home pain med for a spay. Something like Metacam (meloxicam) is a must, and a narcotic is also helpful, like Buprenex or Tramadol. You should call your vet and ask to pick up some pain meds for them.

I would only worry about not eating if it has been more than 12 hours. If they are alert, not grinding teeth in pain, and pooping/peeing, they should be ok. Of course, offer pellets, hay, and greens if they're used to them, because they may change their minds about not eating any time. Other than canned pumpkin, I wouldn't offer any sweets.

I'd also give them a warmth source, like a heating pad or hot water bottle.

Your vet should be more concerned with pain management that with how fast they eat. PAIN MEDS ARE A MUST!!! And a spay is a major invasive surgery.....narcotics are in order for 3-5 days. My spays are always on Buprenorphine (Buprenex) post op and nearly all are eating within hours.

Randy

thanks everyone for your helpful advise its now nearly day 3 and both my rabbits are doing really well the day after i asked for advise on eating they both started eating and drinking and dont appear to be in any pain at all i am taking them back to get their stitches checked tomorrow and then on tuesday the stitches come out im pleased with them both i think they have done marvelous up to now. thanks again everyone for your reply's

Back