My rabbit's 2, is that a good age for breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First some questions for you:

Is this her first time breeding?

Why are you breeding or what is your purpose for the babies?

It is not unheard of to have a doe bred for the first time to die while giving birth and it is not uncommon for her first litter to die. Have you mentally prepared yourself for this possibility?

Ideally does are bred for the first time between 6mos to 1year of age. Breeding after this is a complete toss up on whether or not she will successfully have a litter

Yah u can breed them up to age 3 or 4

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

K nvm mind about the comment she hasn't bred before

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

There is a difference between an experienced doe breeding at 3 or 4 years and one that has never bred. A doe can have healthy, successful litters at 3 or 4 years old. Having a first litter becomes harder the older the doe gets.

Breeding should not be done without a lot of thought. There is always a risk of the doe dying from complications with the birth or from infection later on. First time moms might not know what to do, so might not take care of the litter and they could die. If you have doubts about it at all, don't breed her.

It's not unheard of for a doe to have her first litter at 2, but there's certainly more risk involved by waiting that long, assuming she even takes. I don't recommend it.

Latest posts

Back