My rabbit won't eat pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nose_twitch

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone couldhelp me out. My rabbit refuses to eat timothy-basedpellets. He gets a large handful of dark green lettuce in themorning and ulimited Timothy and Oat, Wheat & Barleyhay. He does like alfalfa pellets.

My questions is: should I feed him alfalfa pellets? He isover six months old. Also, should I provide him with somekind of vitamin supplement since I know the pellets are packed withessential vitamins?

Thanks.

Many people feed alfalfa pellets to their adultrabbits. Try to find one that has less than 16% protein-Oxbow has a 15% protein alfalfa pellet, and I think severalother brands have "maintenance" pellets like this.

You'll need to watch for calcium problems, cecal problems from too muchprotein, and weight gain. These are more of a problems if heeats lots of pellets, so I would recommend feeding him fairly smallamounts of pellets with lots of hay and veggies. You can feeda variety of veggies to make sure he gets the vitamins he needs.

I remember a similar thread where peoplesuggested temping the rabbit by spraying the pellets with apple juiceor mixing the timothy and alfalfa, or sprikling with oats etc.

But naturestee gave some great advice!

I you wet the pellets with sweet juice, be sureto do so in small amounts and replace daily. Don't want to feed ourbabies moldy pellets.

I think the most important thing is that you pay attention to thereactions your rabbit's body has, whenever you change their diet. Iwould do a gradual change, maybe giving just a small amount of pelletsthe first day, then a little more the next, etc.

I would even try mixing the alfalfa pellets with the timothy ones. It probably won't fool anybody but it is worth a shot.

Thanks for the great advice everyone!I think JJ and I would be lost without this forum. I reallyappreciate it.

:wink:

If you swicth pelletsyou should do it gradually.

Freddysmom posted this formula for switching food:

1st week- 3 parts old pellets/1 part new pellets

2nd/3rd week-2 parts old pellets/2 parts new pellets

4th week- 1 part old pellets/3 parts new pellets

5th week- all new pellets.

This routine worked well when I switched S'more from alfalfa to timothypellets. She still tried to pick out the alfalfa and leave the timothy,but by the 3rd or 4th week she was eating all the pellets.

I still give her a tbsp of alfalfa pellets as a treat and she finds every one of them ;)

I only switched S'more because the high protein of the alfalfa pelletswas affecting her GI tract and causing soft mushy poops and excesscecals. My other 7 bunnies are all on Purina Green Bag (alfalfa based)and do just fine. All of our buns are over a year old now.

~Jim

Many people feed alfalfa pellets to theiradult rabbits. Try to find one that has less than 16% protein- Oxbowhas a 15% protein alfalfa pellet, and I think several other brands have"maintenance" pellets like this. You'll need to watch for calciumproblems, cecal problems from too much protein, and weight gain. Theseare more of a problems if he eats lots of pellets, so I wouldrecommend feeding him fairly small amounts of pellets with lots of hayand veggies. You can feed a variety of veggies to make sure he getsthe vitamins he needs.

this is what i do...

sasha had timothy pellets one time and he wouldn't eat them so i switched him back to alfalfa. never had any problems.

Latest posts

Back