My rabbit seems to have lost interest in his litter pan?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My year old lop has seemed to lose interest in his litter pan. Recently, he's seemed to only want to play in it. He digs, gnaws, pushes and pulls it around. He makes a huge mess in the cage by spreading the bedding, soiled and non-soiled, all over. It's to the point where he blocks himself off in the cage at times. I've tried to show him where it needs to be. I refill it with the bedding, clean the soiled out and try and start new again. He'll watch me, wait a couple minutes, and then do it all over again. I've noticed that he'll do his business in the litter box, but he also goes in the corners of the cage where he used to potty as a baby bunny before the litter box training. He's fully fixed, so I know it's not an issue concerning that.

Do you all have any advice for how to handle this? Should I get rid of the litter box? Thank you!

Maybe he's bored and pulling around the litter tray is something to do?

It sounds like maybe he wants somewhere to dig! Has he already got a digging/foraging box?

No, don't get rid of the litter box. I'd take him to the vet to make sure there's nothing medical going on, and invest in some new toys for him to play with.

One of my rabbits started to suddenly do that except he didn't pee elsewhere. I think he was bored. he tends to do that on afternoons where I have to be gone for several hours. I wouldn't get rid of the litterbox either. Clean the area that he has started peeing in really good. Vinegar can help neutralize the area. You could also get a litterbox that attaches so he cant move it. I use the Marshall brand lock in litterbox. I bought it off of amazon. Its a good size and you can lock it into place. I think it might be he is bored as well and just wants to dig around. If that doesn't help he may need a trip to the vet just to make sure he is healthy. Good Luck!

I agree with Sindri27 :thumbup

A willow or wicker ball (same thing) to roll around & nibble at might help too. They are good for amusing them, when they get a little bored.

I would suggest going for the largest size, as the smaller ones break down too quickly!

I'm looking to buy a few at the moment myself too actually :D

Last edited:
Oh balls are a good idea as well. Mine have those as well. One of my rabbits likes to chew up old magazines as well. Maybe also try that.

Latest posts

Back