My rabbit is limping and his foot is swollen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KushWizard

Reaction score
D65364AD-1FC8-434F-A904-01F31BC798C4.jpeg
So my rabbit is free range and has a whole living room to himself, I thought I rabbit proofed the room pretty well and this rascal come morning I find him and his foot tangled into the blinds strings like tangled really good poor fellow looked scared and was delighted when he saw me he started licking like in a way to ask for help. Regardless I untangled him and he was running around as usual but then a little while later I saw him limping and not using his back right foot the one that was tangled up and to speak of it the foot looks swollen and he isn’t sitting on it nor is he using it to walk around but I did catch him a couple times standing on his hind legs. I hope he’s okay and I just can’t stop crying. I don’t know what to do I don’t know if it’s just a sprain or broken because he isn’t grinding loud he is still eating and drinking and wondering around. He’s just not using that right back foot, i am massaging it and touching it so I guess he is not in a lot of pain but then I thought what if it’s broken and he can’t feel me touch it I don’t know I’m scared and crying I don’t know what to do. He’s a white holland lop with blue eyes he’s about 3 months old

Don't stress yourself because it will not do any good 😕 Since he is running around and eating/drinking I think it is just a sprain or twist. I would get him to the vet if possible, but if not, he needs pain medicine. Here is a link that should help: safe analgesics. You can also wrap a cold pack in a towel and hold it to his foot to reduce the swelling.

Please completely rabbit-proof! If he was able to get into the blinds, that means there is probably something else he can get into.

Don't stress yourself because it will not do any good 😕 Since he is running around and eating/drinking I think it is just a sprain or twist. I would get him to the vet if possible, but if not, he needs pain medicine. Here is a link that should help: safe analgesics. You can also wrap a cold pack in a towel and hold it to his foot to reduce the swelling.

Please completely rabbit-proof! If he was able to get into the blinds, that means there is probably something else he can get into.
Thank you so much for the tips I will read into it and thanks again for the help it calmed me down. How long should I wait before taking him to the vet where I live there taking only serious animals in and I can’t find a exotic pet vet near me so I will have to drive to the next town so I want to make sure he needs the vet before going.

No problem! I am here to help! I also get stressed when something happens to Theo so I totally understand why you were going crazy!
If he stops eating, stops pooping, stops moving, or starts tooth grinding I would take him in. You can also wrap the foot in Vetwrap to keep it supported. Here is how to do that: How to Treat an Injured Rabbit's Paw.
Can you send a picture of how he is laying?

No problem! I am here to help! I also get stressed when something happens to Theo so I totally understand why you were going crazy!
If he stops eating, stops pooping, stops moving, or starts tooth grinding I would take him in. You can also wrap the foot in Vetwrap to keep it supported. Here is how to do that: How to Treat an Injured Rabbit's Paw.
Can you send a picture of how he is laying?

Attachments

• F73A6C47-7310-4C18-8B40-483F1B484FD9.jpeg
    F73A6C47-7310-4C18-8B40-483F1B484FD9.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 1
DO NOT WRAP THE FOOT!

There likely isn't an injury, but because the circulation was cut off to the foot for an undetermined amount of time, it's likely the lack of circulation resulted in tissue damage, which is why it is now swelling. Wrapping the foot will reduce blood flow to the foot which is completely opposite of what you want to happen. You need blood circulation returning to that foot. The foot needs to be closely monitored to ensure circulation has returned to the affected tissue and there are no signs of necrosis. Consult with your vet on what is best to do at this point.

It could be a torn or stretched muscle aswell as sprain, or twisted. It's good hes eating and drinking. But would consult vet if he was tangled in blind strings. Cant tell how long he was caught/how much he struggled to get out by himself. So would definatly atleast ask bunny physician.

Latest posts

Back