My rabbit is in mourning what can I do to help her?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pots+Potter

Reaction score
How do you help a bonded rabbit deal with the loss of a long time partner? We lost our 9 year old male rabbit to cancer this morning. His mate who is also about 9 years old is a wreck, they have not been apart in over 7 years. She won't stop chattering and doesn't want us comforting her, she is hiding out in the room we are in but her breathing is labored and she doesn't stop chattering. What can we do to ease her loss? She is not interested in her favorite treats. Does it just take time? How long can I expect? I'm afraid of her dealing with this kind of stress at her age. They were never apart, from the minute they met each other they were bonded.

I'm so sorry for your loss! Almost 3 months ago we lost our older bun at 10 years due to a few different sicknesses he was bonded with biscuit and they had an instant bond. Biscuit looked for him for the first few days and was very confused and when I bring him outside to where they used to live he looks for him in his cage. I see that you said she doesn't want you comforting her but you should still keep an eye on her and be around with her. The stress could lead to GI stasis so keep a good eye on her and check on her often you can also try offering her favorite treats every hour or so. You might just need to give her time but she can become depressed.

Thank you, she is definitely coming around, she explored the house yesterday and even took her favorite treats from us, she has stopped her chattering too. It has been a difficult few months, we lost our cat in November to cancer, she was 16. We lost our labradoodle in December to cancer, she was turning 11, and now our 9+ year old male rabbit passed away to cancer. Our animals were all close, we only have the one rabbit left. I feel bad for her, she must wonder what is happening and where all her companions have gone. I try to buy everything all natural/organic, so don't know why they are getting cancer unless its just a part of them getting older? I would love to adopt another cat or dog, but just can't go through the heartache right now, so will focus all my attention on her.

Sorry to hear about your loss your pets lived long happy lives but I understand how hard losing the three of them one by one in such short time. I think best would be to distract her attention and bring something new into her life, a new friend perhaps. I know it is hard but she can get depressed being alone so maybe if you visit your local rescue you can find some nice friend for her?

Back