my rabbit breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyunkyong87

Reaction score
Hi Guys I bring my rabbit home at April 30,
store owner told me my rabbit breed,s Domestic rabbit.
but I looked up in internet about Domestic rabbit,
breed,s only Flemish Giant, Californian rabbit.
I looked all breeds of rabbit I couldn't find what breed he,s
I think my rabbit breed is Dutch or Dutch+dwarf mix rabbit.
he has short hair in his head and kind of long fur in his body
and did you know my rabbit breed,s? help

download (12).jpg

download (23).jpg

download (27).jpg

Last edited:
I honestly don't think there is any way of knowing what breed your rabbit is unfortunately. He is simply a domestic rabbit :) Meaning he's a mix of probably quite a few breeds but it's much too difficult to tell which.

I love his colour pattern.

Don't see any Dutch or Nethie in that mix, but as an unknown mix it's almost impossible to say. Very cute bunny and we love the color. Now, if you were to send him our way and we had several years to study him we might be able to tell you more. Believe that and I'll tell you an even bigger one!

"Domestic Rabbit" isn't a breed, or a limiting description of any kind, really. It just means the kind of rabbit which is bred, raised and kept by humans.

All domestic rabbits (at least in Europe and the Americas) are the same species, descendents of European wild rabbits, Oryctolagus cunicula. The species has split into dozens of breeds by centuries of mutation and human selective breeding - 48 were recognized by the American Rabbit Breeders Association, the last I looked, but there are many more unrecognized breeds. And, as others have said, many domestic rabbits aren't any particular breed at all, they're just what would be called "mutts" in the dog world - a mixture of different breeds.

That's not to say that mixed breed rabbits are inferior or not just as good companions as purebreds, quite the opposite. If you're not planning to show the rabbit, who cares who its parents and grandparents were? What matters is the personality of the individual rabbit, which varies widely even within breeds. And, in fact, mixed breeding is where many new breeds come from.

The wild European rabbit isn't found naturally in the US at all. Wild rabbits in the USA are not only a different species from domestic rabbits, they're a different genus as well. Here in the eastern US, most wild "rabbits" aren't true rabbits at all, they're actually Eastern Cottontails Sylvilagus floridanus.

I too wish to know what my bunny’s breed is. I’ve been trying and looking all over the internet to find the possibilities. I have found picture of some the are similar in the coat patterns and the face, but then I find others in which are similar, the closest to what she can be mixed with is a harlequin because if her coat, but idk. So, can someone please help me?

Attachments

• C91C5CF8-603A-4920-814A-CF6CDEA4791C.jpeg
    C91C5CF8-603A-4920-814A-CF6CDEA4791C.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 5
  • CD4A9CCE-4994-4567-91E2-B59453F6AE5C.jpeg
    CD4A9CCE-4994-4567-91E2-B59453F6AE5C.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1315564A-3564-4C85-9C8F-F6EBA8C6D3E8.jpeg
    1315564A-3564-4C85-9C8F-F6EBA8C6D3E8.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 8CBA5E53-4201-47A2-9A29-BCEB93A9EC37.jpeg
    8CBA5E53-4201-47A2-9A29-BCEB93A9EC37.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5
She looks like a Mini Rex/Harlequin to me. How much does she weigh?

Edit: Nevermind, I will respond on your thread.

I agree w them its hard to tell...but it is a tri color so thats a plus....the area i live in most refer to mixed rabbits as meat rabbits but i think i like the title domestic rabbit better....good looking rabbit tho.

I too wish to know what my bunny’s breed is. I’ve been trying and looking all over the internet to find the possibilities. I have found picture of some the are similar in the coat patterns and the face, but then I find others in which are similar, the closest to what she can be mixed with is a harlequin because if her coat, but idk. So, can someone please help me?
Your rabbit looks like a dutch harlequin

Your rabbit looks like a dutch harlequin
You think so? I searched them up and I think you might be right! They look pretty similar. I remember when I went to get her, the lady giving her away had a few rabbits that looked like the black and white Dutch rabbit and also one that had tri color; they were all siblings. I never gave it much thought, but it could be that she could be mixed with those two... Thank you!

Back