My oldest cat is sick...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassetluv

Reaction score
I'm taking Tasha to the vet's at 9:30; she's lost weight on a frame that was already too thin to begin with, she's been vomiting and she won't eat. (Well, actually I withheld food from her because of all the vomiting, but she stopped eating a few hours before that.) She just looks so tiny and frail.

Any prayers or best wishes would be appreciated for her recovery (and hoping it won't cost a fortune to have her treated). Tasha's been part of the family for 16 years; she's the oldest pet I've ever had. And she's a truly sweet little girl.

august26tashie640x480.jpg

Awwwh what a pretty kitty!

Hope she gets better soon - prayers and healing vibes being sent your way!

:hug:

Thanks BB...

Unfortunately, I had to make the decision to have Tash euthanized. She was in very rough shape, and the vet said I could either admit her overnight for rehydration, tests, etc., or euthanasia. Since Tash had already been through tests several months ago and many things were ruled out, the vet was highly suspicious that this was an intestinal cancer she was dealing with. With her in such frail shape - she was only a bit over 3 lbs when they weighed her - and given her age, and what she'd been through for the past while, I decided it would be best to let her go. So Tasha crossed over to the bridge at around 10:30 this morning...with tears in both my eyes and the vet's.

I'll write a bit about her later; just can't bring myself to do so right now.

I'm sorry to hear of Tasha's passing... She was well loved for all her 16 years with you.

Wishing her plenty of catnip in heaven...:hug:

I am so sorry you lost your kitty. I know you made the right decision. There is no cure for any of the big 3 internal cancers and very little effective treatment. Always such a hard decision for us humans. She is running and purring free at the Bridge.

I am so sorry.

Thanks everyone, for your kind thoughts.

Several months ago when Tasha became ill, the vet had suggested (after tests and bloodwork) that it could be either irritable bowel or some sort of intestinal cancer. She had suggested I could either have her further tested for cancer, or assume it was IBS and treat her. Either way, she told me that if it was cancer, there was nothing they would be able to do for Tash anyway aside from palliative care, so I opted to have her treated for the symptoms and not put her through the testing.

I just wanted to write a bit about Tasha, as I think she deserves some sort of recognition. She came into my life (and my son's) when she was around 8-10 months old. My sister and her husband had been out one evening walking their dog through a heavily wooded area in the west end of the city, and they came to an open field. There were a couple of boys going through the field with a pellet gun, taking potshots at anything they could, and so my sis and her spouse decided they should leave. Just around that moment the heavens opened up and it began to pour...but just as they were getting ready to bolt to their car they thought they heard something. My sister said they searched for a few moments and then, underneath a huge leafy shrub, they spotted this little bit of a cat, soaked to the skin, so thin her ribcage was showing, and she looked absolutely miserable. So they gathered her up and when they got home, they called me. The Humane Society was closed for the evening and their dog didn't get along with cats, so they asked if I could take her for the night. Well, as soon as they came over and dropped off this little cat, I knew she wouldn't be leaving. My son (who was around ten at the time) begged for me to keep her. I was going to say no, but when I saw her my heart just melted. She was such a tiny little thing, half-starved and completely confused about what was happening to her. The first thing I did was put down a dish of food and she charged over to it, so happy to have a meal in her belly that her purr was coming through loud and clear as she devoured what was in the dish.

The next day I examined her more carefully and found she was completely saturated with fleas. So she had a flea bath, more food, and probably more attention than she'd received up to that point in her lifetime. She settled in quickly and became a part of our family...a tiny little creature with a huge appetite, an even louder purr, and an enormous heart.

'Tasha' was actually named after a character from Star Trek: The Next Generation. My son, being a geeky sci-fi nut, was in love with that show. After Tash had been with us for a week or so and we still didn't have a name for her, one day my son called me while I was at work. And I don't know where this came from, but suddenly I blurted out to him, "Oh, you know, we should name the new cat 'Tasha' after Natasha Yar on Star Trek, since you love that show". Well, he agreed heartily, and so Tasha it was.

For the past 16 years she has been one of those cats 'in the background', content to live in the shadow of more dominant furred family members, such as Kaya and Yofi. But Tasha certainly didn't let anyone get away with anything. If Yofi was pestering her and wouldn't go away, she'd swat him across the face with one of those huge ballplayer mitts of hers (being a polydactyl kitty, I'm sure she could have tried out for the big leagues) and he'd know that she meant business. He'd go running off to his room, nose totally out of joint, pouting, "She hit me again, mom". She would come and sit on the sat of the sofa whenever I was watching tv, and she would purr that huge rumbling purr of hers and rub her head against mine...or she would slip silently onto my leg and remain there, sides heaving in and out with contentment. And if Tash was hungry, she let me know. Loudly. Even though she was tiny in physical form, her voice superceded everyone else. I'd come home from work and ask, "Who's hungry?" and the first thing I'd hear would be Tasha, emphatically declaring that she had been starved for at least two and a half days (so her story went) and she needed sustenance immediately or she would faint clear away. But to hear her cry was a bit funny too, for that loud declaration of hers - I swear - sounded like she was yelling, "MOM!!!!!" to me. And as I sit here typing this, it is dinner time...and that cry is silent. I think that is the hardest thing for me to adjust to at the moment.

So to my little Tasha....thank you for 16 years of unconditional love. I can only hope that I gave you the same, and I pray that the decision I made today was what you wanted. Sweet dreams, Tashie...may we meet again some day.

I wanted to share this photo of Tash, plus one other one...the first one I took a few weeks ago when I was trying to get a photo of one of my Schleich models. I snapped the shot and then looked at the screen, only to find that Tasha had popped her head up into the frame just as I had taken the picture. And the second one was taken some time ago...but again, I had been trying to take a picture of something else, and suddenly there was Tasha, nose right in the camera...smiling that sweet smile of hers.

calfntash640x480.jpg

july12008046640x480.jpg

Oh Di, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm sure Tasha is running free at the Rainbow Bridge.:rainbow:

Susan:bunnyangel2:

Susan, thank you...tlhat means so much to me. I have been staying out of the house as much as possible since Saturday because I've found it hard going home and seeing Tasha's 'spot' in the kitchen sitting vacant. It's going to take a while for me to get used to her not being here, I think...even though I am surrounded by love from Kaya, Fritz, Anna and Yofi, there's still an empty space. She was a tiny cat, but her heart was enormous.

I'm so sorry...it's so hard to know what to do in that situation...just know that you did what was best for Tasha.

I had Precious for 16 years and had the same issues you did with Tasha, the vet did tell me that most cats that old do eventually get cancer....I still don't know if that bit of info was helpful or not :) it did help me to to realize that I didn't "do" anything to cause it.

I had a Samoyed named Tasha too! her full name on her papers was--
Tasha Yar, Lady of the Stars..... my dad named her...he was a Star Trek fan too!
perhaps our Tasha's will find each other at the bridge...

I've been reading this thread and trying to think of the words to say - and I feel speechless.

It is so heartbreaking to lose a companion that you've had that long. If it was a non-furry companion (aka human) - people would be flocking around you - sending sympathy cards, etc. Yet - put some fur on the companion - shrink their size - change their method of communication - and so often - people just don't "get it".

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry that you had to make such a hard decision...and I'm sorry that while Tasha is no longer in pain - you are the one who has to suffer.

I hope and pray that Yofi will do some antics that will ease the pain in your heart and bring a smile to your face again.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you face the emptiness in your heart - and in your home.

Four Feet in Heaven
Your favorite chair is vacant now...
No eager purrs to greet me.
No softly padded paws to run
Ecstatically to meet me.

No coaxing rubs, no plaintive cry
Will say it's time for feeding.
I've put away your bowl, and all
The things you won't be needing;

But I will miss you little friend,
For I could never measure
The happiness you brought me,
The comfort and the pleasure.

And since God put you here to share
In earthly joy and sorrow;
I'm sure there'll be a place for you
In Heaven's bright tomorrow...

- Alice E. Chase

Thank you both, Peg and furryface...I tried to respond last evening but my home computer was giving me a lot of grief. Furryface, that is a beautiful poem...thank you so much for sharing. :hug:And as it says in the poem, "Your favorite chair is vacant now..."; I have been dealing with that every time I walk into the kitchen. Tasha's favorite place wasn't a chair, but it was a shelf in the kitchen window, where she would lie all day and soak up the sun. Her dish is in that corner too, sitting on an end table I'd placed there so she could access the shelf a bit easier. The corner just looks too empty now.

Yet - put some fur on the companion - shrink their size - change their method of communication - and so often - people just don't "get it".

Oh yes, I've dealt with that so much in my life that I now rarely talk about it if I lose a beloved pet, or if one is dealing with illness. There have been far too many remarks that, while not intended as such, have been quite hurtful, so I find it better just to not say anything at all. It's one reason why I love this forum so much...every soul here does understand, and does know what it's like to grieve for a four-legged loved one.

I must say I am comforted by the fact that Tash is no longer in any pain, and that she did get to live a long life, surrounded by furry friends. Still, it's going to be a long time before I stop missing her presence.

My cat Fritz temporarily distracted me from missing Tasha last evening, I must admit. I had the rabbits outside and when dinner time came, Yofi went bounding into the house. But Anna never likes going in once outdoors, so I had to herd her toward the open door. What I didn't realize was that in the few moments it took to get Anna to comply, Fritz seized the opportunity and slipped out the door. About 5 minutes after I went back inside I knew, however, that he'd escaped;the bloodcurdling screams of two cats in heated battle pierced the air, followed moments later by one of the neighbors cursing and yelling at the two. So I ran into my backyard, thinking the cats would be out there - Fritz has been notorious for starting fights when he was still living his days as an outdoor cat, and they usually occur on the property - but no...I couldn't find any evidence of him or the other cat.Then I ran around to the front of the house to find that the neighbor, in her panicked effort to break up the fight (my neighbor panics quite easily) had scared both cats away. So I spent the next 10 minutes looking for Fritz but was quite unsuccessful, and since it was dinner time, I headed back indoors.

Made it to the back door and pulled. Door wouldn't open. I tried it again...and then realized what had happened. In my haste to get outside the door must have slammed pretty forcefully behind me, and the hook that is on the inside (to keep the door from flying open in windstorms, and to keep determined Yofi's from pushing it open when a Yofi wants out) must have somehow flown up and landed directly in the little 'eye' that it inserts into on the doorframe. What are the odds of that happening? And of course, the front door was locked. So there I was, locked out of my own house. At dinner time. With hungry animals inside waiting to be fed. And I'll lay odds that Fritz was sitting under some shrub and watching me, silently chuckling to himself.

Tasha, no doubt, would have gotten a kick out of it too. :)

I'm so sorry. I'm glad you took such good care of her and made that very difficult decision for her benefit. It's obvious that you loved her very much and she appreciated that and loved you back. Run free, sweet kitty.:rainbow:

Latest posts

Back