My new life as a rabbit slave

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synesthetic Soul

Reaction score
Hello again, my name is Stephanny and this is my new life as a rabbit slave. I'm 22-years-old and had a rabbit once before. Sadly, I had to give him away because of circumstances. But now I have a situation perfect for taking care of a wily, energetic, and intelligent rabbit. He's not named yet but I know the right name will come to me soon enough.

This is day two of bunny being home. He is very curious and impossibly cute. I let him run around for an hour and he was very good at not trying to chew everything. I only had to stop him twice. He discovered classic gaming and hidey holes.

After he gets settled in I plan on taking him to a vet to make sure he gets the best care he needs. I will have him fixed when the time is right.

His cage is rather small (after really thinking it over) but I don't plan on making him stay there all the time. I bought some organizer cubes on amazon and can't wait until they come in so I can make him a nice, big play area!

I am doomed. That is all.

Bunny has become quite the poop machine! It's good though, it means he's eating well. =D He already has the house claimed as his. When I let him out to play he'll hop around for a bit before making himself comfortable in a corner. I hope I can get him really house trained since it seems he would love to live free-range. It would be fun too! Having those little feet pitter all over the place. =D

Also can anyone help me with this? I did a search and couldn't find it but can anyone suggest the best way to clean their cages? I'm trying to litter train bunny so I just cleaned out his cage while leaving some waste in his litter box in hopes of him getting the right idea. I know it's going to take time, especially since he's used to just pooping anywhere. :p

bunnies usually go in the same spot, so, the litter box should be put in that area. Most get it right away. We only had one of 27 that would use the litter box totally when out for all her business. The others would use it to urinate (Had to have 4 different areas covered) but left beans everywhere. Thank the gods and goddesses for shop vac.

Haha, wow. Well my bunny is currently pooping wherever he pleases. I haven't found a spot or corner he's favoring in the cage. Hopefully he gets the idea as I encourage it. I put hay in the box too since I read they like to eat when they go.
I also take the box out and put it in a corner he favors when I let him out to play. He's been sniffing at it so I'm just waiting and seeing.
Thank you!

Here are some helpful links on litter training your rabbit (yes it is possible!) from our library:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12213&forum_id=17

And here's the library article on types of litter to use for a rabbit.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12084&forum_id=17

It's so great to see another NYC dweller with a bun!

There are some great vets in the city so your bun will be in good hands for a neuter when you're ready to do that. Neutering once the bun is mature enough should help with the pooping too. Although I was lucky, when I got my baby bunny I litter trained him as a baby and he kept his training even after he hit puberty and got neutered.

Aww that's sweet. Thanks for the links, I'm looking into them right now.

____
I just went out to get bunny some toys. Balls with bells, a bird dangly, and something else he can chew on and toss around. After thinking it over much I've decided to name him Ice Cream (Icy for short) since he really reminds me of ice cream!

He's chewing everything! Ahhhh! My boyfriend let him out for me about an hour ago to let him run around and he said Icy was chewing everything and that he started making sudden jumps and running around the room.

I'm actually happy to hear that because it seems he feels more safe now to explore and, of course, to chew everything he can! The jumping sounds like binkies, I guess I'll wait and see if he does it in front of me. Hehehe.

kirbyultra wrote:
I'm *sure* those sudden jumps are binkies and the running around is him doing Bunny 500s. It sounds like he's thrilled when he is out. Chewing is just normal behavior of exploration and curiosity. :)
Yeah, he really doesn't like the cage. I can't wait until my NIC panels come so I can make him a big area to play in! I'm so excited already. :bunnydance:

I know they like to chew so we're gonna have to keep our valuables out of his fluffy reach. He particularly likes my boots and my boyfriend's backpack. It's adorable. =D

Yup, sure sigh of a committed bunny slave -- when chewing all your stuff is adorable!! :rofl:

The pooping/peeing outside of his litter box will go away once he's secure with his territory, but it might last a few weeks -- or even a month or more. But they do get over it. :)

Chewing? Not so much! Best to read up on bunny-proofing. It may be adorable, but they can chew things that can hurt him, too. Silly rabbits!

sas :bunnydance:

If apple bitter doesn't work to stop chewing (Or giving more chew toys) Ivory soap works good as well!

Thanks guys. I know the chewing is only cute until he ruins my favorite shoes or something. Haha! And I do plan on sectioning off parts of my place so he can't get to the really icky stuff like wires.

The more frustrating part is that for now even the loud "NO" and clapping of the hands doesn't phase him. He just keeps on going so I have to stand up and then he stops. XD

My NIC cubes arrived! I went straight away to make a temporary pen for him:

13258_201353_300000000.jpg

I'm waiting for a friend to come over so we can get zip ties to secure it properly. Icy's been very curious about it and is looking for a way out already! That funny bunny. XD

Wow! what a lucky little guy. Just as a suggestion, I really thought my rabbit wasn't going to learn that she could jump over one level of those panels, but eventually she did!

Then again my other rabbit has never even tried, so just keep an eye on your little guy, he could surprise you and leap out. I'm in the process of building an NIC cage too. Bunnies are tricky little things.

IF your little guy is a chewer watch your computer cables! Lulu (my rabbit) destroyed TWO of my mac book chargers until I finally realized she would stop at nothing to get them. :p T

Haha, yeah I figure I'm going to have to buy a second set of these in the future. It will make the pen more difficult to handle, but safety first!

And now I am out to get the things I need for this pen. =D I'm so happy right now.

I know, but for now it's good and if I keep an eye on him he'll be ok. Right now he's just chillin' in one corner. Possibly planning his furry take-over.

Oh me oh my, sweet fluffy pie.

My furry one has learned, for the most part, to pee in the box. He still sorta poops everywhere but thankfully he's peeing IN the box.

I sat down with him in the pen, rolling one of his balls at him and he came over to me and started licking my leg! I was so excited and tickled! Then he started nipping at me so I pulled away and went "ow!" and after a few times of that he seemed to understand. I'm so happy that he was licking me! Gosh he's so sweet and cute. =3

Aaaaand binkies!

Latest posts

Back