My new baby flemmies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basil met them today. I put up the x-pen today and put the babies in it. Then Poppy got out, as I was going to get her, Hazel got out. Too young for the x-pen :). So I flipped over an old rabbit cage that used to house my chinchillas and put them in that. Basil LOVED them! It was adorable. They won't be out together for at least a couple more months (his neuter is on the 20th), but he really wants them to come out and play. It was so cute!

I was looking at pictures on flickr, of flemish litters, and at three weeks, their ears aren't any longer than Hazel's. The ears seem to triple in length between 3 and 6 weeks. Poppy still has bitty little ears, but I'm starting to suspect they might be pure bred, and actually only three weeks at the time I got them. Time will tell.

They have grown already. I didn't think to weigh them until monday. Hazel was 14 oz, Poppy was 12 oz. Today (wednesday) Hazel was 16 oz (one pound bunny!) and Poppy was 14. I tried looking up to see how much flemish weigh at certain ages, but it seems no one weighs them before 8 weeks.

basilandbuns.jpg

That is too cute! I'm glad that Basil is liking the little ones!

They are so lovely and good on you for rescuing them from what was surely an awful life....now they´ve got someone to care for them and to love them, they are two lucky girls. Love the names, I like Poppy for the 2nd one and I´m sure they´ll be fine.

Love the pic of them with Basil, they are gorgeous. You could be right and their ears will spring up as they get older. I am so looking forward to seeing how they develop...keep us posted.

You definitely rescued them from someone who didn't care about them at all. I don't understand people like that...

How fun to have babies in your life!! Squeeeee! They are literally the cutest things ever! That's so sweet that Basil came over to check them out and liked them. Are you going to keep them and bond them with Basil? Good luck with your lil babies :D

They are adorable!!! Glad you helped them out from the previous home. I'm going through many ads and shelters right now looking through possible rabbit companions for my loppy. Came across an overweight female in a small dirty looking cage who the owner said she didn't have the time and good enough cage for then even left in the ad that the bun was ready or breeding, I want to take her home so bad but it would be such an impulse and I really know I can't right now.

I hope the best for your new babies!!:bunny24

Oh my goodness! I'm so jealous. They are adorable!

I got my Zombie (Flemmie baby) when he was five weeks. He's almost nine weeks now and they really do grow over night. You'll be shocked. He's a house bunny and has outgrown his Medium size dog crate. This weekend, I'm just going to jump to an X Large, giant-breed dog crate for him.

Oh yes, definitely keeping both, I'm so attached already. They still seem to both be girls.

I got them some probiotics, but they're in powder form and apparently, are yucky. Does anyone know something I can mix them with that won't upset digestion? I got the kind for babies (baby humans) because they don't have additives. The best idea I've come up with is canned pumpkin.

I gave them a hamster water bottle when I got them. They seemed to be using it, but in 24 hours, had only drank about 3 oz. So I gave them a 1/2 cup dish and they went nuts and drank it all at once. I felt so bad, I don't know if the bottle is faulty or they just never learned how to drink from one. Now they drink at least a cup a day between the two of them.

I should think that it's possible they never learned to drink from one, at least you were smart enough to think to switch to a water bowl, I find that when offered both, most rabbits prefer a bowl for water anyway. They are both very adorable little (not for long) bunns. Can't wait to see how they progress :)

They grow incredibly fast, holy cow! I weighed them last monday, Hazel was 14 oz, Poppy was 12.5. Today, hazel is 20 oz, poppy is 19!

They look like little rabbits now! :)

Look! We have EARS!
8567003324_31ea3c483f_z.jpg

(their fur isn't scruffy, just soft and lays weird when I pet them)

Poppy
8567007902_84e903fb85_z.jpg

Hazel
8567010090_692a44c63c_z.jpg

:inlove:

Awwwww! They are sooooo CUTE! Look at those little sweeties! So glad you got them :D Amazing how much weight they have gained and how different their ears look in just a couple days. They remind me of my Podgie when he was a wee one. He's not a Flemmie but they look similar to him, so darling.

love the babies, of course I am partial to flemmies. Before I brought home Thumper I looked at many sites of different breeders including ones I could never get to. I know I saw a breeders site that did have photos of the buns starting at a younger age as well as the weight I believe. I will try to find it and let you know if I do.

10 week update!

8681878027_a6966a468d_z.jpg

I stopped weighing them because they stopped wanted to be picked up. But at 7 weeks they were around 3 lbs. I have them out with Basil. Everyone is doing very well, they all love each other. Hazel and Basil are rarely apart. Hazel tends to stick with Basil and follow him around, while Poppy has remained really people-friendly. She runs to me every time she sees me.

I love them :).

If that "breeder" felt they were ready to be sold as soon as they were able to eat hay, he's a moron and should be kicked in the balls. Not a single responsible Flemish (or whatever these are) breeder thinks 3-5 weeks is a suitable time for them to go out into the world without Mom. They continue to nurse for weeks and weeks, and at 3-5 weeks they haven't built up resistance to anything, meaning any infection, any virus, any mold, any anything, will probably sicken or kill them. 8-12 weeks is much better, and I commonly never sell any kits before 12 weeks for these reasons.

Anyway, the one could possibly be a mostly-steel-gray, but the one with the brown in it is some combination not recognized as Flemish. Too dark to be a sandy, too brown to be a steel. They're quite cute, but they probably are not Flemish. A combination of Flemish and anything else is no longer considered Flemish.

Whoever you got these kits from probably fancies themselves a "breeder," but they are not. If you'd like a real Flemish, this is a list of some (but not all) recognized Flemish breeders in the western US. I know some of these folks, and any of them would be able to get you a solid, healthy, true Flemish.

http://www.nffgrb.net/Breeders%20Western%20US.htm

Turtle
South Mountain Rabbitry

10 week update!

I stopped weighing them because they stopped wanted to be picked up. But at 7 weeks they were around 3 lbs. I have them out with Basil. Everyone is doing very well, they all love each other. Hazel and Basil are rarely apart. Hazel tends to stick with Basil and follow him around, while Poppy has remained really people-friendly. She runs to me every time she sees me.

I love them :).

They did lighten up a lot, but I still think they're mixes. That dark face on the one, and the head shape, doesn't look Flemish. Do try to weigh them, because often, weight loss or flattening of the growth curve is your first clue there's something wrong, even when they look and act normal.

Turtle
South Mountain Rabbitry

Did you read this part?

(from my original post)
"They're supposed to be "flemish rabbits", but I suspect mixes. Basil (in my avatar) was sold as a "flemish rabbit" too, and he's definitely a mutt. I don't care."

Particularly the "I don't care" part. They're probably mixes, so what?

And we all know the kid was an idiot, we're quite clear on that.

They're so cute =) Just getting bigger and bigger by the day. Great to hear their personalities starting to come out too.

Those are some big bunnies! Also very cute! It's nice that you have one that likes your other bunny, so you can see the "aww"-inspiring cuteness of bunnies snuggling with their best buddies, and that one likes you better than the other bunnies, so you can also have a bunny to snuggle with! Sometimes I wish my buns were more people-oriented rather than bunny oriented, but since I work a lot it makes more sense for them to have the company of another bun. It is good to keep track of weights if you can, but in reality most bunnies just don't allow that.

How sure are you about genders? It may be time to start thinking about snips etc.

Looks like they are both agouti colors but with different shading. The agouti pattern is VERY dominate but other color genes (like shading) can cause the subtle differences that you see in your bunnies. There is also a "red" gene in rabbit colors that can affect the intensity of the "reddish" tone to the coat, I would say that one of your babies just got a little more of that then the other :)

Latest posts

Back