My new babies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
So my two new "pet store" bunnies are actually bunnies these people bought while at the county fair. They were from two different litters of netherland dwarves that a breeder had brought to the fair with her show rabbits. Unfortunately, however, they just happened to fall into the wrong hands.

The woman I got them from today had them in ahamster cage. Yes, read that again...I did say hamster cage! They're small yet, but not that small. She got them for her two children and expected them to take full responsibility for them. Hello, her kids are 7 and 5! The whole situation was completely ridiculous. The only positive is that these sweethearts are out of that home and here with me in mine.

I've already got them setup in a NIC pen with a litter box filled with hay (which they didn't have access to at their prior home), pellets, and some toys. Remarkably, they're not all that skittish and they seem pretty trusting of me. And, did I mention, they are absolutely adorable!

I think you need to see some pictures --

HPIM0082.jpg

HPIM0060.jpg

These are the only pictures I have right now. I didn't want to mess with them too much since they are probably unsure and scared of their new surroundings. The pictures are okay, but they don't do justice to their coloration. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow or later on this week, but I figured these were better than nothing -- and I know how important pictures are on this forum!

They were supposedly sold as pet quality. I have the paperwork the woman gave me, but I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet. It makes sense as their ears do seem too long, but I really don't know much about nethies, so I'll be doing some reading up tonight. And I'll also probably be asking some questions in the near future. But, for now, we're all set and I'm just trying to give them space and let them know they're safe here.

They don't have names yet. The woman told me that the kids just called them "poop" and "scoop." Yeah...those names have got to change pronto -- so suggestions are welcome.

Oy vey. People should have to take a test to be allowed to adopt an animal. Weed out the losers -- that's my new motto.

"People should have to take a test to be allowed to adopt an animal. Weed out the losers -- that's my new motto"

Couldn't have said it better myself..

Alexah wrote:
The woman I got them from today had them in ahamster cage. Yes, read that again...I did say hamster cage! They're small yet, but not that small. She got them for her two children and expected them to take full responsibility for them. Hello, her kids are 7 and 5! The whole situation was completely ridiculous. The only positive is that these sweethearts are out of that home and here with me in mine.

that's nuts! i'm glad you've got them now. how about Smokey for the gray point and....Rose for the brown point? or if the brown point is a boy, how about Russ? or Oak:biggrin2:

They are very cute, are they both girls, boys, one of each? I don't see much nethie in them but I don't have a great eye for that sort of thing. I had a look at the rest of the pics you had on that photobucket and they are both very adorable :).

They are both little girls :).

I'm not good with "guess that breed" but it's entirely possible they're mixes and the paperwork is fudged. I don't hold much credence to what it says -- or what the woman I got them from said. I do know the breeder is actually a breeder as I've heard their name thrown around, but what that means is beyond me. I'm seriously questioning some things, but my main concern is just that the girls are okay.

And, I saw your other post on my thread and it would be fine with me if their little ears decided to lop - too cute! Maybe I should go and post a "what breed is my bunny" thread. I'll probably get more help than the scraps of paper from the breeder is.

The top is likely nethie cross, as your little gal is the spitting image of my Slatey.
As for names...

Kohl (think cleopatra) for the dark one.
Maybe Koala? As in fuzzy aussie bear?
The little light gal's marking's remind me of Creme Brulee (a most awesome dessert!)\or nutmeg

Duh me. I was reading up from where I'd last read and just posted on your other thread about not being able to find the Craigslist posting even though I went back to Sept. 2nd - next time I'll do what I normally do - read from the top down.

Anyway - congrats on your new buns. I'm guessing that if they're purebred - they're "BUDS" or "BUBS" (big ugly buck/doe) meaning not that they're ugly - but that they don't carry the dwarfing gene - which is what makes them big....I think the "ugly" is put in there so its not "BB" and "BD"...

Tio is a BUB....and he has larger ears (to me)....

alexah they are so cute!!!! i went to the fair by me a couple of weeks ago and they had a rabbit show too.......doug had to drag me home practically b/c i saw many buns that i think needed to come home with me....lol....and when i saw the nethie's-----OMG they were SO CUTE!!!! I'D love to have a nethie.

Latest posts

Back