My neighbors have 2 bunnies!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we3pnuts

Reaction score
I'm so excited! I just found out my new neighbors about 3 houses down have 2 bunnies. They moved in a few days ago and my son just brought over the boy that lives there. Of course the first thing my kids do when friends come in is show off the bunny. I heard the boy say "I have bunnies too"! I instantly asked 100 questions.....what do they look like, where do you keep them, can I come see them, LOL. Anyway, I am a little upset too. They keep their buns in their cages ALLDAY in the garage, poor babies! I see nothing wrong with keeping them outsideif that's what they choose, even though MN weather is not the best for outdoorrabbits. I just worry about dangerous fumes in the garage. And my heart breaks that they never get let out. I can only imagine that they have wire flooring too. The boy was so surprised that Diamond can go where ever she wants. He said "what about going to the bathroom"? I tried in the 2 minutes I talked to him to give him the run down on having a house bunny. I told him to block off a spot in their house to let the bunnies run and I showed him our litter box.I told him to just give it a try and see how it goes.I want to run over there and meet the mom and tell her about this website. I don't want to seem like I'm bombarding her with info and I don't want toseem bossy or rude.I don't want the title of crazy bunny lady quite yet. I was so excitedI just had to share. I can't wait for my husband to get home so I can tell him too.

thats cool that they have bunnies too, they are probably just not rabbit educated yet!! they will soon get the idea when they meet you:Dand at least you can help them.

I'd slow down a bit. Don't scare off your son's new friend.

Do they park the car in the garage? Some people don't. There may not be any fumes. It sounds like the boy in interested in the whole house bunny thing. Perhaps he'll tell his momabout it.

They obviously cared enough about their buns to bring them with them when the moved.

How big are the cages? It's not necessarily bad that they don't get out if they have decent sized cages. A lot more rabbits live like that then you realise.

Are you worried that they are outside because of the heat or cold? If it's te heat, garages tend to be cool places which is a bonus to the rabbits. If it's the cold, well rabbits handle cold really well. I'm in Canada and all 4 of my rabbits, including 2 small breed rabbits, are housed outside all year round (up to -22*F/-30*C, any colder and they move into the garage).

I do agree that car fumes in the garage are a bad idea.

But I also agree that if they moved the rabbits with them, they obviously care for them. They might have a perfectly good reason for not being able to have them inside (like severe allergies).

I agree with everyone else.

Maybethe buns that are in the garage are only in there temporarily until everything gets moved around.

At least they brought them with them. :)

Polly- Thank you

Missycove- that's what I'm hoping for, that the boy will say something to his mom. He did seem pretty interested. I hope I didn't scare him off, lol. I don't think I over did it. After he left my brain was racing with all the thoughts ofmeeting new bunny friends and telling them about RO.

Mybabybunnies- I do realise there are a ton of bunnies that live like that, I just feel soooo bad for them. That's how I thought all bunnies lived before I got one and did research. I want all the bunnies in the world to have the chance of being a house bun. Or even just having the chance to run. I'm just a sap tho. I never even thought about the allergies, Thanks ;). I was least concerned about where they were housed but more concerned that they never get out.

I posted this more in excitement. I am so happy to have bunny people living right next to me. It just seemed like my concern over powered my excitement.

Just a question? Did I phrase something wrong that offended you guys?Just kind of got that feeling. I may be reading it wrong .

I admire your concern! You obviously are a fantastic person! I agree with everyone else, perhaps there are reasons. I think you should get to know them slowly, then suggest things one at a time. Perhaps you can invite them over for dinner? Then they can see your bunnys, and perhaps they will bring up the topic. Then you wouldn't seem too pushy, and they would still get the information, and perhaps you can sway them to having indoor buns! If your buns are fixed, perhaps you can suggest a playdate? How about, in casual conversation, say something like, " yous son tells me you have rabbits? So do we, I can give you the name of our vet, s/he is very good with rabbits..." Then you just seems so sweet and nice! I think the main idea is not to scare them away... I know I would have to keep reminding myself that. I tend to get a little over the top when I am passionate about something... :biggrin2:

Good luck! Hopefully you, your family, and your buns will make some great new friends!

Since you guys aren't friends, the better way would be to peak the lil boy's curiosity. He is definitely interested in knowing why your bun does this, has this, etc. Just let your bunny out and let him see how much fun a bunny is when it is let out and things like that. Then, eventually, you could try inviting the family over for supper and while cleaning or something you could let your bun out and then they will see it for themselves.

You definitely don't want to appear like you are criticizing them for the way they are taking care of the buns. Not that that is what you are doing, I do understand your concerns. Just let them get to know you better and then it will be so much easier to discuss this subject with them. You'll need to take a softer, more indirect approach at the beginning.

I'm sure it'll go well. Wouldn't it be great to be so close to another bunny-loving family??? They probably dunno half of it so they are lucky to have you as a neighbor!:biggrin2:

I keep Karona in the garage where the car goes, we have a nice vent and fan system. To me its no diffrent than a shead or barn. And karona is in her cage all the ime except when I take her out to play in the house in the evening or snuggle with her. She also like many other members bunnys has a wire cage. it is custome built, big and full of toys and places to sleep.

we3pnuts wrote:
Just a question? Did I phrase something wrong that offended you guys?Just kind of got that feeling. I may be reading it wrong .
I think they are commenting on: garage and fumes. That is something that needs attention. If it is temporary and no vehicles are parked in there, so be it. Otherwise, it may definitely pose a problem:?.

Latest posts

Back