My lionhead bunny JUST gave birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do i do?! I watched her give birth & helped her, it was very random. and happened outside of where they were supposed to be born. I dont know what to do, because im pretty sure they are not going to feed there babies considering my last bunny didnt feed hers, this one might be different though I dont know. any ideas on what i should do?

also i was thinking that because my one rex bunny wont feed her litter if i could just but this new litter in with hers and will my lion head feed them all?

Be optimistic that she might, but be prepared to syringe-feed them something if she doesn't. I don't know how many a rabbit can feed & whether or not combining the litters might make her not feed any of them.

Syringe feeding should only be attempted if you are absolutely certain the mom isn't feeding them, as doing it usually results in the death of the kit from aspirating the milk. If you are certain they aren't being fed after at least a full 24 hours or more, and you think they are likely to die, then you could try syringing goats milk, but just know that most likely the babies won't survive.

Syringe feeding should only be attempted if you are absolutely certain the mom isn't feeding them, as doing it usually results in the death of the kit from aspirating the milk. If you are certain they aren't being fed after at least a full 24 hours or more, and you think they are likely to die, then you could try syringing goats milk, but just know that most likely the babies won't survive.

Hey so I am most certain that the rex's kits aren't getting fed whatsoever there really wrinkly & skinny & kinda getting cold. I have NOTHING here really to save them, and I'm trying my hardest. We've been getting the skinnier babies & feeding them watered down regular milk... like cows milk. (we have nothing else) & we also have no syringes so were using a straw to feed it into there mouths. the babies are drinking the milk, I don't know if there going to survive from this, but I'm trying really hard to save them. Do you think I have hope for them? Will the regular cow's milk kill the kits? I'm scared & worried for them

Can you get some goats milk from the store, or do you have any cream? If you can only feed the regular cow's milk, it would be better to not water it down, to use whole milk and to add about half a teaspoon of cream to a cup of the whole milk. If you have any probiotics then add a pinch of it to the mixture. If you have a dropper, that would be better than using a straw. You have to be really careful to make sure you aren't squirting the milk in their mouth, but that they are lapping in up themselves, and be careful to not overfeed. When they strop eating eagerly, then you should stop. It's better to give them less milk and more feeding times, than too much milk at one feeding time. Make sure the babies are warmed up before feeding them, but it should be slow warming and be carful not to overheat them as well. You can use your own body heat to help warm them up, or a warm pack.

Latest posts

Back