my lil man has had his castration but i need help with pain meds please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tutter

Reaction score
so the vet has gave me some pain medication and also a syringe for it. my lil man is a fiesty one and doesn't take kindly to being put on his back at all. the vet didn't handle him at all well yesterday so i'm worried i will re-traumatize him by putting him on his back. how can i put the syringe into his mouth so he can get his med without disturbing him least i can?

ty :)

Do you have someone who can help you? Sometimes I find it's easiest to make a bunny burrito by securely wrapping them in a towel or blanket with just their head poking out, then either right side up or upside down, poke the end of the syringe in just behind the front teeth. There's a gap between their front incisors and their rear molars and that's where you want to put the syringe to make it easy on all parties involved. Then, if it's a lot, go slowly and wait for them to swallow so it doesn't all dribble out the front.

Some rabbits will take meds mixed in with something tasty like applesauce or dribbled onto a favorite veggie, but that all depends on the rabbit.

great help, thanks a lot! :)
i already gave him 2 chunks of carrot today as it's all he seems to be willing to eat, and i don't have any apple sauce.
could i give him ANOTHER piece of carrot or ANOTHER treat and put his med on top or would that be treat overload?

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
I don't think a little extra carrot will hurt anything :)
He has been threw a lot.

gave him another one of his little treats with it on top and he gobbled it all up :)

it doesn't say how much to give him though :S so i put about 4 drops on to cover the treat..
this can't kill him can it? the wrong amount? oh god i'm worrying now!

what size syringe did they give you? I've found a 1 mL is the easiest to use. When my buns need more than 1 mL of something, I just refil the 1 mL. It fits in there mouth easier and they don't put up *nearly* the fight. Just a thought. :)

You need to call the vet and ask how much he needs, I can't believe they didn't tell you! I'm surprised he doesn't like the stuff, both my buns sucked it down like it was candy.

Be careful dosing your bun on his back, he can asperate the medication into the lungs. It's better to have them belly down and just put the syringe into the corner of the mouth behind the teeth. Squirt a little and let him swallow before squirting more. Once he gets a taste of the metacam it should go down easily because it is sweet.

Some rabbits love the taste of the pain meds, but some (like mine) are overly suspicious of anything I offer them! You could try making a Metacam sandwich out of spinach (or some other veggie he likes), that's how I trick my rabbit into taking meds.

Latest posts

Back