My husband got me this bail and I am not sure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamommaof2

Reaction score
My husband bought me a bail of Hay from a local feed store and he told me that the man said that it is Timothy/ Alfalfa hay is that safe for Teddy? He also said that you dont have to feed him the pellets because Alfalfa is in the horse hay. I wanted to know what ya'll thought before I feed him any.Also I am storing it in my garage on a pallet is that ok?

Yep, Timothy/Alfalfa mix is ok. Most adult bunnies shouldnt have too much Alfalfa (thats why they recommend a timothy based pellet for adult bunnies) but it should be ok just mixed in like that. In fact, the different types of hay help grind down bunny teeth properly.

Dont stop feeding pellets, he doesnt know what he's talking about. A no pellet diet is very difficult to pull off- you have to supplement the hay with tons of different (and the right kind) of veggies to make up for the nutrients that are in the pellets.

Storing it in your garage is fine, as long as its dry and has room to breathe (ie isnt ina closed bin) it should be good :)

I dont know about a whole bale that is possibly 50/50 timothy and alfalfa, i would think that half alfalfa would be too much. As far as pellets there are alot of information about the neccesaty of pellets in a rabbits diet, some say yes some say no.

I personally only give my two rabbits very limited pellets, combined they are 12-13 lbs of rabbit and they get a 1/4 cup , if that a day. They dont have free range of pellets all day. They get all the hay they want and a great big heap of veggie in the morning and then there pellets at night time, and they are fine. Search pellets i am sure you will come up with plenty of threads dealing with it.

I don't think it will hurt them any at all. My rabbits get a timothy/alfalfa mix hay most of the time, and have no problems. They only get about a tablespoonful of pellets each day, but that is an 18% pellet too.

I have bought a couple of bales that have some alfalfa in them. Normally it's not a hugh amount of alfafa, maybe 10-15%. Enough that in each handful there's a couple of strands, but not over powering.

My buns loved rooting through the hay to find the alfafa bits.

The mix should be fine for your guys. When feeding them, try to figure out how much alfalfa you can see, and I bet it won't be too much.

--Dawn

I assumed, and you know what they say about that lol, that an Alfalfa timothy bale would be 50% each. I have a bale of mixed and it has timothy but when i asked the guy he said that the alfalfa hay isnt much there because of the deer eating most of it.

Well, I have to admit Ive passed up some hay bales because it looked like there was a lot of alfalfa in there. I guess it depends on the mix. But if it looks like good green hay youre probably ok regardless of how much alfalfa is in there (assuming you dont notice any excess cecals or anything from your buns after they start eating it).

I have a question what is the look difference between alfalfa and other hay? I never really fed alfalfa hay to any of my rabbits so i actually dont k now if there is a difference

Alfalfa has the squashed flower at the end that sort of looks like clover. It has lots of leafy material:

alfalfa_in_hand.jpg

alfalfa_hay_in_hand.jpg

Whereas the timothy is more grass-like..

Back