My Holland Lop is nesting early.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budgirl9

Reaction score
Hello everyone, My rabbit Autumn is starting to nest, her babies won't be due till March 22-23 she doesn't normally nest this early most of the time she will nest 1 to 2 days before. is this ok or is this a bad sign. i have not been breeding long. this will be her fourth litter,
16519_061231_560000001.jpg

It may be a sign of a false pregnancy. You say you have not been breeding long, did she have all 4 litters under your care?
Has she pulled fur already? Did you use a different buck?
Several things can cause a bunny to change its nesting habits.

After i posted this subject she stopped nesting she as not pulled out fur yet and has eaten all the hay, this is a different buck, the buck she was with passed away but the two did spend two days together and she is gaining weight, i have had Autumn since she was 6 weeks old and saw all 3 litters born i have been breeding for almost a year. every morning she digs in the corner and moves hay around which she always does 2 weeks before so i think i am back on track thank you for your help.

Bonnie Lee wrote:
4 litters sounds like a lot with in a years time frame
is this healthy for a bunny?
As long as the female is strong and healthy, the sky's the limit. And believe me, when she's done, she's done. As long as you give some time in between for her to regain her strength, bunnies can keep having litters.

At ZRabbits we won't be so aggressive with mating. This will be a very controlled breeding program. I doubt I will have 4 litters in a year. Two will be the tops. And that's if the female shows promise. It's a personal choice with breeders on how many litters they put out. If a breeder can handle four litters a year and the doe is in good health, more power to them. We are going a different route.

K :)

I thought 4 a year was a lot, too. You figure a month of being pregnant, 2 months until they're weaned...that means she's pregnant as soon as the babies are weaned.

I only plan to get 2 litters a year from the Frenchies. That way I can show the moms. Unless Ad's tail is a DQ and not a fault, in which case she'll be a brood doe and have 3.

Good luck with Autumn. Hopefully she was just making herself a nice resting area, and you'll have healthy kits soon. :)

hello everybody this will be Autumns fourth litter i give my rabbit lots of time to recover. a month after her babies leave she gets really excited when she a buck she will pace her cage till she gets a hold of him. My friend who is also a experience rabbit breeder tells me Autumn is very healthy, I also spoil her. after this litter I will be giving her a long Vacation from breeding. Mother's day(May 12th)2011 last year was her first litter she had. second litter was September 25th 2011 and her last litter was a oops which was December 27th 2011. then her 4th litter should be due around March 22nd.

budgirl9 wrote:
hello everybody this will be Autumns fourth litter i give my rabbit lots of time to recover. a month after her babies leave she gets really excited when she a buck she will pace her cage till she gets a hold of him. My friend who is also a experience rabbit breeder tells me Autumn is very healthy, I also spoil her. after this litter I will be giving her a long Vacation from breeding. Mother's day(May 12th)2011 last year was her first litter she had. second litter was September 25th 2011 and her last litter was a oops which was December 27th 2011. then her 4th litter should be due around March 22nd.

Look forward to hearing good news on the 22nd. Hope you post pics of Autumn's new crew. She is such a lovely Holland Lop.

K:)

thank you and yes i will post pictures, i just hope i am not over doing it with Autumn she is such a sweet rabbit i do not want to lose her because of over breeding.

I think your plan for a long vacation after this litter will be the best thing for her. Believe me, I've read of people who truly wear a doe down with the same schedule year after year. Though in my mind, 4 litters in a year, with breaks is a bit much. But that's just me. I feel a doe needs not only a break physically but mentally as well from raising kits.

As you said and also a friend who also has experience breeding bunnies, Autumn is healthy. Once she's had this last litter and weaned the babies, a nice long rest with LOTS of love from you will do her good.

K:)

Latest posts

Back