My heart is breaking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnicula

Reaction score
Bunnicula's Castle, S.Central, Pennsylvania, USA
I can't stop bawling. Louise, our "matriarch" kitty is headed to the vet in 15 mins, and I think this is the day she'll cross the bridge.

She's not eating (a REAL sign of problems with her) and is hiding. She's had a thyroid tumor for a few years and we believe she's been in kidney failure. But over and over she's amazed me with her zest for life and her energy. At just a few pounds, she's been my vocal, zany companion for almost 10 years.

I noticed this week that her eyes looked distant...but she kept eating and behaving normally. Today, though, she didn't come out for food. She won't respond to her name. And for the past hour or so she has been hiding under the sofa.

She's somewhere between 15-20...we adopted her after she lived at the Humane League for 2 years...she was part of a long-running abuse case where the owner continued to appeal.

Oh, I know that there's a slim chance that she'll pull through. But I don't want to perform any heroic measures. She's had a good life here. It just hurts soooooooo much... We've been through loss before, but it just never gets any easier. I can hardly see through the tears. I hope I make coherent sense when I talk to the vet. Thank God Gary is going along with me.

I know she's not a bunny...but she's been a great companion to her lapine friends. And I knew you'd all listen and understand. Thanks!

-Mary Ellen

Aww i'm sorry....my thoughts are with you

cheryl

:bigtears: i am so sorry

Oh Mary Ellen I've so sorry to hear this sad news. :bigtears:

I hope she pulls through, my thoughts are with all of you. You know you can PM anytime, take care.

Awww hun, I know how hard it is to see our beloved pet in trouble. It doesn't matter which kind of animal it is, it always hurts. I really hope all goes well and maybe she still has a few years to go. She has had a very good life with you I am sure and hopefully it's not over yet. You're both in my thoughts and prayers.

My thoughts are with you and your family through these hard times. I hope she pulls through, but maybe it's just her time to go. She's sounds like a very sweet cat. Keep us updated.

Good luck,
Rachel.
:hug:

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers.

Our cat vet was not in the office, so we took Louise to our bunny vet. She administered sub-q fluids and some meds to settle any gastric upset. She also is running a full blood panel and urinalysis so that we can get a more complete picture of what's going on. Louise is down to 5.8 lbs.

I had to go to work from the vet's office, so Gary brought her home (the vet felt any hospitalization would just stress her). She refused food all day and basically slept under the bed. But when I got home from work around 11, she DID respond to her name. And this morning she ATE!!!!!!

I'm not sure if she's been fighting off a virus or if yesterday's events were just a sign of things to come. I know that at her age and with her illness we could be facing her last days. (And with 6 cats over the age of 10...I know I'm facing many more tears in coming years.) But it was sure WONDERFUL to feel that sweet little paw in my face this morning and to hear her mew me awake. (She's the family alarm clock!)

It's probably good we got the blood panel done. This way I'll have more of an idea how things are progressing with her thyroid and kidney disease.

Thanks for listening and caring!

-Mary Ellen

Oh, Mary Ellen. :( I'm late on this, just saw it... I'm glad she is better and eating. I'm sorry you are having to face this ( illness period.)
I will keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers and watch for updates.
Warm hugs,
Sealy

ellissian wrote:
Mary Ellen, how is Louise?

Thanks for asking! Got the labwork results yesterday. She's got an elevated white count and protein in her urine. Both of those are possible signs that she's fighting off some kind of infections. Her thyroid levels are also slightly elevated. But I don't know if that result is accurate because she didn't get her meds the morning of the test...and we're usually specific about timing with that to see if the meds are effective. So...I think we could end up having to repeat that portion of the bloodwork before adjusting her meds.

She is quite herself again, amazingly. Her appetite has returned and she's vocal, active, and feisty as ever. I do realize that she is in the final chapter of her life, though. And both Gary & I are mentally prepared knowing that we won't perform any heroic measures to keep her alive. She's a fighter, though...and I'm really hoping she keeps going to January. That's her 10 year anniversary of living here...and I promised her a big celebration (cat treats for everyone!).

I'll keep you posted.

-Mary Ellen

Latest posts

Back