my girl is not eatting poo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlops

Reaction score
well.
caramel is not eatting the cealelphones. (i know its spelt wrong. dont ask me how to spell most thing....)
well i know they pass the at night, and eat them straight from there annal.
so... the past week (i forgot to post) there was one or two not ate.
i gave more hay.
but to day there was lots. they smelt like well poo really.
should i cut some pellets down. how much?
if this helps, she is getting spayed this tuesday so sould i wait till after and things are normal again?????
is it the food/pellets she has?
im planning to change it a few weeks or so after the spay. slowly.
thanks in advance.
ps. im not sure where to post this. sorry if its in wring place.:(

Can you tell us more about her diet? Has she had anything new to it? Is she producing regular round, dry poo (fecals) as well as excess cecals?

I guess this is the right section... It could be moved to the infirmary if you want, but I think it's good here or there.

You're right about the cecotropes. It is usually a dietary thing if they're not eating them, or a stress thing. Has there been any change to her diet or surroundings lately? The dietary cause of ceotropes would be too much protein or carbs in her diet. If she is older than 6 mo, you want to start switching her to a Timothy-hay based pellet if you can. They have less protein. Also, switching to timothy hay rather than alfalfa could help.

Sorry but I don't know exactly what you're feeding, and the amounts, so that might be helpful as well.

I don't know if you should switch before or after the spay... My gut reaction would be to wait until after.

ok i read both post. she is producting her normal real not eat them poos, nraml, size, shape, amount.(smell)
she is getting (and the male)...... (ill get link now.)
http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-6+small+pets/category-is-6E+Food/product-is-V00196
that^^^^^^
and ..... she is getting a small size bowl, i feed them in the morning with hay.
then after school more hay or water.
oh, she is 6months old past, on the 1st of feb.....
ill post any more info
nothing new ....... i gave her 2/3weeks ago some carrot. only a small bit.
she did not react to it. no dierheoa or any thing. i have not given any more since.

The current pellet doesn't look so good. The kind with the seeds and other stuff in it usually isn't a very good pellet. Could you switch them to a pellet with high fiber, low protein, and no seeds in them? You still might want to wait until after her spay just to make sure she doesn't get tummy upset after the spay.

the new pellet looks better, but I can't tell if it has seeds and stuff in it. it still has a pretty low fiber content.

edit: changed stuff after you posted the new pellet.

thanks i will. i looked in the bag, it is just plain brown nuggets and i looked at the ingredants on the back no seeds ect....
i know the food is not good, thats why i am changeing it.
her stomach wall would be cut, then her guts moved about for the vet to get at the girlly parts. im not shoure i should get her spay. well im nervouys..... but i think her intestiniste will be sore and stuff.....so ill wait till maybe 2 weeks after.... i will change the diet the same time as them both.
thanks . ill add more info if need//

Oh ok, the new stuff is good. I agree waiting a few weeks after the spay will be a good idea. It can be difficult for rabbits to keep their guts going after being under anesthesia, which is why it's really important to see a rabbit poop after surgery and they need to be monitored until they do produce poops. I think switching her food so close to the time of surgery could cause difficulty in getting her GI going again after the surgery.

She'll be fine with the spay, just keep an eye on her and give her pain medicine. She's young so she should bounce back pretty quickly, and then you won't have to worry about babies or cancer or any of that! Good luck and keep us posted on her spay~~

ok i will.
i was on ru. and got the post about rabbits needing food 24/7.
Time and time again we hear of people whose vets (or vet's receptionist) have requested they fast their rabbit the night before a procedure involving a general aneasthetic is carried out. This is incorrect and dangerous advice which needs to be corrected amongst rabbit keepers as it is putting lives at risk. If your vet recommends starving your rabbit prior to a GA procedure it indicates a general lack of understanding about the physiology of a rabbit on the vets part and therefore suggests they may not be sufficiently experienced to treat your rabbit correctly. Always ask about a vets pre-operative policy before registering your rabbit with them. It could save your bunnies life.

The reason most animals and people are fasted before surgery is to prevent them vomiting under GA, and then inhalating and/or choking on their own sick whilst unconscious. Rabbits, however, are unable to vomit (as are horses) because they have a highly developed cardiac sphincter which means they do not have a 'gag' reflex and are unable to regurgitate in any form.

Some veterinarians try to fast rabbits because they feel ingesta sitting in the intestines will interfere with the rabbits weight and therefore affect the amount of aneasthetic and other drugs they require. However a rabbit takes approximately 12 hours from consuming food to passing it, which means the rabbit would have to be starved for 12 hours plus before surgery to get a true weight. Furthermore, the rabbit's ceacum (where ceacal pellets are formed) can take up to 4 days to fully empty and fasting for that lenght of time would be fatal. Given how long it takes a rabbits intestines to process food it would be impossible for the GI tract to empty during the period the rabbit is in surgery if it has been eating as normal immediately prior to the procedure, and therefore it's weight should hardly be affected. Many vets choose to use safer Isoflurane gas as opposed to injectable aneasthetics and in this situation body weight is irrelevant, as the drug enters the body through the respiratory system.

Rabbits have a very complex digestive system which focuses around the gastro-intestinal tract. The GI tract is designed to be in constant use with food always passing though it, this is referred to as GI motility. At no point should it ever be allowed to empty as this can lead to it beginning to slow and then shut down. Once the GI tract has begun to enter Stasis (immobility) it is a difficult task to restore gut motility and can lead to the rabbit becoming critically ill. Fluid and fiber are vital for keeping the GI tract running, if a rabbit is deprived of these through fasting then gastro-intestinal stasis developes.

A general aneasthetic will automatically slow down a rabbits digestive system and if the GI tract is already empty (and therefore less mobile) on top of this the chance of getting motility back up to speed after the procedure is dramatically reduced. Vets should always offer a gut stimulant such as metaclopromide post-op to encourage the GI tract to remain mobile and also as an appetite stimulant . It is just as virtal that a rabbit who has undergone an operation or painful procedure be given an analgesic as a rabbit's primary response to pain is to stop eating, further impacting on gut motility.

If your rabbit is not eating voluntarily or passing stools within 24 hours post-GA consult your vet for further advice. Anorexia in rabbits can quickly cause liver damage so it is very important that your rabbit receives every support in keeping his GI tract running smoothly.

References
Pre & Post Operative Care by Dana Krempels
Medical Concerns HRS by the House Rabbit Society

This Document is Copyright © S Rolland. June 2008.UK. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
so guess what im bringing to the vets.........lol
when i have eyore the male done, the vet said to def fed him right up. then i heard this vet say to me about my girl, to stave her!!!!!!!!!!!
ok i will tell you how its going..

so.... thats coming with me..... just ot tell the phone person. because the vet said no to fasting them for eyore

Latest posts

Back