My Froglet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad kelpie

Reaction score
My sister has a big terrarium with green tree frogs. I found an ad on ebay for tadpoles. The guy said some were green tree frogs, and some were wood frogs, and you'd get a mix of the two. I figured the green tree frogs could live in my sister's terrarium, and I'd keep the wood frogs. I paid only $5 for 10, and got free shipping. I could have paid $18 for overnight shipping, but I didn't. In the mean time, I found out that wood frogs don't live in Florida (where they were coming from), so I didn't really know what I was getting. They got stuck at a shipping facility for a couple days, so by the time they got to me, only 2 were alive. One died shortly after, and I was left with this guy:

8032022836_973d549d3d_z.jpg

In just under a month, he got all his feet and climbed out of the water. It became quite clear that he was not a green tree frog. After much research I found out that he is a Cuban Tree frog.
8031994749_5a713f93fd.jpg

The next day, I got my better camera out:
8033992414_e1430597cb_z.jpg

This is 4 days after he climbed out of the water, he's a frog! He looks so big in the pictures, but he's really tiny.
8051382656_82ee7e18b1_z.jpg

He was lighter the next day:
8051376343_0dbafcc3ae_z.jpg

He's a coppery color today.

This is his home:
8051382156_9dec82d33a_z.jpg

(you can see him behind the grassy plant).

:biggrin2:

After researching cuban tree frogs, I find out that they are very much hated in Florida. They came to Florida on shipping boats in the 1920's and have taken over. They are bigger than any of the native tree frogs and have been EATING them. They eat the native lizards too, and birds, and clog drains and cause electrical outages by getting in the electrical boxes. Pretty much, if you find one in Florida, you're supposed to kill it. So a few Floridian amphibian lovers on a frog forum have started collecting them and shipping them to anyone who wants them and has cold enough winters that they'll die if they escape. So, I have two adults coming to me next week! They seem like neat little frogs (unless you're a native frog in Florida).

They get pretty big, usually 3 - 5 inches. There will eventually be 3 of them in there. I'm gonna put the new ones in there when they arrive, and put him in a smaller tank until he's big enough that the new ones can't eat him :).

I've always thought frogs were cute :) we get some type of tree frog here and they stick and climb up the windows. I love them!!

I catch frogs and toads all the time for my son. Only to look at them, we never harm them and release them soon after :)

Your frog is so cute. Love the environment and you'll have to postmpics as he grows.

Does he have a name?

How cool! I would love to get some too. I'm in PA so the winters get very cold. Can you please let me know how to contact these people? I will begin researching :)

What? How can someone be against rescuing frogs? :)

I haven't seen the little guy eat yet. I don't know if he even is eating yet. I keep a piece of ripe fruit in the tank, to attract fruit flies. I also have a bowl with tiny mealworms and newborn dubia roaches (I raise them for my geckos). I think the roaches are slightly too big for him, but one was missing from the bowl today. I'm pretty sure they can climb out of the bowl though, so who knows.

That is so cool! He is pretty! My friend went to a reptile show (yes I said show lol) and bought his girlfriend some new poison dart frogs. They are so cool looking

OMG!!!!! Another frog person!!!!:):):):) Next to bunnies, frogs are the cutest things EVER! I have 6; 2 African Dwarf Frogs, 2 Pacific Chorus Frogs, and 2 Firebellied Toads. Congrats on your Cuban! But watch out, Cubans are voracious eaters and will readily eat any smaller ones, so it is advised to keep one per tank or have them be almost exactly the same size. With small frogs, pinhead crickets and flightless fruitflies are the best way to go. They sell them online and you can usually find fruitfly cultures at Petco. Good luck with your little guy! Your setup looks great! BTW, I am also KittyKatMe on Frog Forum!

I didn't end up getting the others, so he'll be a single frog. I have a dubia roach colony, so I'll have plenty of food for him. I still haven't seen him eat, but he must be, because he's still alive :). It's colder in my apartment than before, and the fruit flies are going away, so unless I can convince him to eat the roaches, I'm gonna have to find him some pinheads.

My boyfriend also loves frogs since they're a symbol of luck and wealth (or something of that sort). His step dad has a dart frog tattooed on his chest and it looks awesome, wouldn't mind getting one of those guys :)

Back