My first REAL Bunny scare

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sealy

Reaction score
I had the worst scare last night around 2 am.

I had just started dozing off to sleep and I heard this huge commotion and squeal coming from the Bunny room. I thought maybe Harley had torn down the cages and was eating rabbit. I ran in there and Harley was still on the couch. So it wasn't her.
I looked in all the rabbit cages and everybody was there except TurnipTop. I went to hers and looked around behind her litterbox and bed and boxes and I didn't see her.
So I started searching the house. I got to Dandelion's cage and he had a small wicker basket used as a chew toy stuck around him! The handle had slipped over him somehow and he was running around flailing, bucking like a bronco to get it off. I tried to catch him to take it off but he wouldn't let me. Finally I had him cornered and had one hand on him and squealed something horrible! I let him go and the basket came off. He was so scared. So was I! he went in his little house and wouldn't come out. Poor baby.

I stayed up a bit to watch him, make sure he didn't have a heart attack or other signs of distress. I then offered him some Craisins and he took them. So I knew he was ok.

Turnip Top came running out from behind her bed. I didn't look well enough I guess...she had been there the whole time.

Everybody is fine this morning. All in their cages, all safe and sound. It was quite funny to see that basket around Dandy until he got into distress. How he got it on there, I'll never know.

The basket is one of those little wicker baskets sold at the dollar store. They look harmless enough. In fact, all the other Bns have already devoured theirs. I just never would have guessed it would be a potential hazard. I have more to give them, but before I do, I'm going to cut the handle in two. If anyone else gives these to their buns, watch out for them!

~Sealy

Oh geeze, what a scare!

About a month ago I bought a new area rug and didnt notice it had a big sticker on it. Mr. Tumnus must have tried to pull the sticker off, and it stuck to his face so he couldnt see anything. He was running around the living room kicking and twisting. It took me about 15 minutes before I could catch him and remove it.

Its amazing what our bunnies can get into. :D

I had nearly the same thing happen with a basket from Bunny Boutique. One of our Havana twins got his head and a front leg into the loop. I had no idea that he could fit in there. I was going out but decided to stay home. Shortly, I heard a commotion and a scream. I knew it was from the boy's house and then I saw what was happening. He was choking and was nearly out of it. Oddly enough, I had a pair of cutting pliers that I had not put away after cleaning so I immediately cut the loop from his neck. Afterwards, I got really scared. Had I not been there, he would have died. If we give baskets now, we always cut the loop handles off of them. Who would have ever guessed? Glad that you were there to help Dandelion....and good there were no injuries.

This would be a great opportunity for others to share "horror stories" of rabbits getting into bad situations in seemingly safe surroundings.

Randy

I agree Randy, great opportunity to share horror stories. What seems so innocent and completely safe for our Buns isn't!
Who would have though a sticker would be so dangereous even? We would think about them chewing it, but not covering their eyes like that.
Haley,How the heck did it get way up there? lol Poor baby. Glad you were able to catch him and get it off!
I am still amazed about the basket handle. Now I am overly paranoid and triple checking everything today. But I can't help but laugh and just shake my head.
Silly wabbits- basket handles are for hoomin hands.

~Sealy

Crystal, it was a bit funny because he's so fluffy it was sticking to his whole face. But it was also scarey because he was bucking and wouldnt let me catch him. I was afraid he might hurt himself trying to get it off.

I think what happened was as he tried to pull it off with his teeth it sort of stuck to his face. It was probably made worse as he tried to get at it with his paws. ;)

Latest posts

Back