My First Bunny Lily - with pics!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengal77

Reaction score
Hello again everyone. I posted my intro thread a few days ago. After a few days of research and preparation I finished my cube cage, made multiple trips to the pet store for supplies, and started contacting local rescue groups. I scoured petfinder.com and fell in love with a small doe.

Her name is Lily and she is such a sweet little thing. She is around 1-2 years old and has an appointment to be spayed at the end of the month. I have no idea what breed she is (probably mixed) and she has the most adorable gray markings on her toes, nose, and ears and the most beautiful brown eyes I've ever seen. I spent two hours at the foster mom's home spending time with different bunnies.

Lily was shy due to her history of abuse and neglect but was curious enough that she sniffed me several times and let me hand feed her a favorite treat. The trip back went smoothly. She munched on her hay the whole way back and once we put the finishing touches on her cage she was eager to go inside and explore. After half an hour she started to eat and drink and explore her cage. We were a bit hesitant about how she would be with the dogs and cats (we let her settle in for an hour before we put an exercise pin up around her cage and let the other animals in from the screened porch.

Our cat Gigi is super curious about the bunny but is content to sit on the couch and look at her. The dogs (both elderly large breeds) went over to the cage, sniffed it for 2 seconds, and wandered off. Lily appears to be fine with the dogs and cats (the foster mom thought that she had been around dogs and cats in her previous home but wasn't sure) and has settled in nicely. In a few days I will start to open her cage so that she can go into the playpen while I sit inside and read. I'm so excited to have her home! I already feel like she's a part of the family.

Enjoy the pics!
Here is the photo from petfinder.com
lilyspetfinderpic.jpg

And here are my photos of Lily settling into her new home.

I apologize in advance for the crummy yellow tinge. I didn't want to scare her with the flash and it was 9pm when we took the photos so there wasn't any natural light.

(ETA after I took these pics Lily stuck her head up through the large grids that I had used as the roof. I about had a heart attack and promptly added 3 of the smaller grids to the ones that she can reach from her perch)

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

Oh my goodness...Lily is just super adorable...what a precious lil face she has...i'm looking forward to seeing lots more pictures of her.

Welcome to the forum :)

How very pretty!!!!!! love the smoodge mark on the nose,lol.

I have one concern, and it is about the grids, those grids look like they are the bigger ones,(bigger squares) and if they are i have heard of rabbits being able to put thier heads through them!!!! i will see if i can find the post t hat someone posted about the dangers of them.

Fancy77 - I have no idea what breed she is, and neither did her foster mom. She's small and only weighs about 4 pounds. Her fur is fairly short and the foster mom said that her coloring is a seal point.

Luzmyzoocrew- Thanks. I built the cage using the large panels as the floor, back (against the wall) and roof. She did manage to stand up on her platform and stick her head through the bar and then popped right down. So I ziptied a few of the extra little panels on top of the ones that she can reach from her perch. In a month when she's settled in I might take half of the roof apart and fix it so that it's not doubled up but for right now it's ok as it is.

Welcome! Very cute bunny you got yourself there.... and it looks like you have done your research and made her a very nice home. well done :)

I also live in Melbourne, but a different Melbourne haha

Latest posts

Back