My English Lop has head tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giang_au

Reaction score
This is my first post. i live in Thailand, and here there is no special vet for rabbits.

i have 8 rabbits, one of them is english lop. she is around 4-5 years old.

Last two weeks i found her walking unstable she walk and then fell down.

Last weeks i met her rolling in her cage. it has been given "Ivomec" first shot because found the ear mites.

i vet give me ear drop mdicine called "dexoryl" to clean her ears for 7 days.

i try to read about this symptom as much as possible including this web ^_^ and found out that my engliah lop still need "antibiotic". In Thailand there are not much medicine for rabbit. how should i suggest the vet. and what medical should i request for my rabbit.

My English lop named "my kward" (thai name) means a broom.
furthermore, how can i take care my rabbit in this period.

i put her in dark place, she still eating but can't standing. sometimes she can walk but soon she roll.

Thank you for every comment and i'm sorry for my english.

mix-1.jpg

Hi First of all your bunnies are gorgeous:D

I am really sorry that your bun has head tilt.

I am not sure what would be the best antibiotic to get hopefully someone will come along that knows more.

I think it is good if you can set up a pen for your bun to run in as it helps to orientate them better and seems to be able to keep itself upright better, also i think making sure they have plenty of water to keep it hydrated.

I hope that gives you a start and someone will give you more advice soon:D

Hi,

My first thought is a secondary bacterial infection due to the mites. I have run into that several times. I have assisted others in that part of the world and the choice of safe and effective antibiotics is somewhat limited. In this case, your best choice would be Pen G....it's penicillin and contains benzathine and procaine. It is manufactured by numerous drug companies under various names. You should look for a drug that contains 150,000 units eachof benzathine and procaine per mL. This drug is safe only as an injectable and is usually fatal if given orally. I would suggest mixing it in some Lactated Ringers Solution for the injection to buffer the sting. If you can find some, please PM me and I will give you or your vet the dosing....giving dosing is not something I usually do because I am not a doctor but I think this is a special situation. Make sure you treat with the follow up treatments for the mites so they will not return.

And you have some beautiful rabbits.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Hi,

My first thought is a secondary bacterial infection due to the mites. I have run into that several times. I have assisted others in that part of the world and the choice of safe and effective antibiotics is somewhat limited. In this case, your best choice would be Pen G....it's penicillin and contains benzathine and procaine. It is manufactured by numerous drug companies under various names. You should look for a drug that contains 150,000 units eachof benzathine and procaine per mL. This drug is safe only as an injectable and is usually fatal if given orally. I would suggest mixing it in some Lactated Ringers Solution for the injection to buffer the sting. If you can find some, please PM me and I will give you or your vet the dosing....giving dosing is not something I usually do because I am not a doctor but I think this is a special situation. Make sure you treat with the follow up treatments for the mites so they will not return.

And you have some beautiful rabbits.

Randy

THANK YOU VERY MUSH RANDY. i'll try to find the mdicine you suggested, ^_^

Now, it has been four weeks that i found Mai Kward's head tilt.

The First week, Mai Kward's symptom, she walk unstable and fell. I search internet read as mush as I can. I don't know what happen with Mai kward, I felt loss at that time.

Finally i found this website with warm welcome from you. Especially Randy, He gave me an advice give me the name of the medicine.

I ran to the breeders I know, who breed rabbits for 8 years. They seem to know the symptom well because they already had an experience with rabbit head tilt. Then I got this medicine from the breeders that i know.

penicilin.jpg

It is penicilin, they said to me that this drug they use for rabbits that have very very bad snuffles.

Second week, Mai Kward has been worse she was rolling and can not stand by herself. I put her in the small cage with soft beding so that she won't hurt when she roll.I covered her cage withclothes to keep her away from light.That weekshe can not eat by herself,I gave her hand feeding "Gerber apple" and some greens. When she rolled she can not stop by herself, she hurt her mouth and bleeding once and hurt her eye once. I remove the Water bottle be cuase when she rolled it can harm her.This week I repeat a shot of Ivomec. The vet said to me that there are probably many reasons that rabbit has head tilt and she want me to take Mai Kward to X-ray and scan her brain at The animal hospital of Kasetsart University (If you bring the usual case of illness to this hospital you and your pet will become a study case for the students, I don't want that) . I don't want totake her away from home because i knew that it can be worse.

Third week, I posted about Mai Kward's story in RO. Randy gave me an advice to find the medicine. At first, I thought that i was lost in the universe to find such that medicine. Luckily. I ran to the Breeders that I close to and they said W com to see i have one, and i'm not sure thai it is what you want". I am not hestitage to give Mai Kward a shot. This week Mai Kward can eat fresh greens by herself, so I stop to give her "Gerber". I gave her water in the plastic bowl and she pour the bowl everyday.

Fourth week, after one week of the shot, Mai Kward looks better now she can stand with her head tilt and walk around her cage. I uncovered her cage to let her see the light and she wasn't rolling. She can blink her eyes, both eyes. When i open her cage she walks to the door as usual ( before she sick when i open the cage's door she will walk to the door and took her head out of the cage). I give her "rabbit food" on my hand and she ate them all!!. So last two day i put the food in plastic bowl only 1 cup (normally she eats 2 cups/day). I found out in the morning that the food has gone half of the bowl. I'm very glad that she can eat by herself.

I observed that when she finish eating her food she will walk to the waterbottle place that i removed it. Yesterday I place the bottle back at low at posible and "Brave Mai Kward" she can drink water from the bottle by herself.

Thank you everyone to help me

Thank you for reading the story of Mai Kward.

Giang

Dear Giang,

I am very concerned for your bunny. I have spoken to someone from the rabbit welfare today in an attempt to help. She gave me some help and a little advice. They call your rabbits problem " head tilt" and said it is an inner ear infection. Some advice was do not handle as it makes them dizzy and if you have to hold handle hold close. They said there are 2 possible causes one encephalitozoonsisand the other I missed the name of.

I am a member of this organisiation and there website is www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk if you go to this web and click onto contact us - go to Judith Brown the vet and send here a email explaining about your problem she may be able to give you some help and advice.

I have been to her with my bunnies before and she is excellent. I have a membership number if you require itif. If in your email explain youknow someone who is a memberI would of thought this will be ok.

Yesterday, I tried to let her walk out of the cage, she can not stand on the flat floor.

-_-" I tried out her on mat, soft mat, she walk but not so long and roll again. She is better than the last week. That week she can not stand by herself.

Giang

Mai Kward is better than before.

She can walk, eat, lay down like bunnies do. Only her head that's not normal.

I am very glad found out that she able to eat her stool.

She eats a lot and now can gain weight like before. If not notice, you won't see that Mai Kward had head tilt before.

When I clean her ears, she shake her head.

She Still have "Pendistrep" - Penicilin G.

^_^ Giang

Oh! I hope you find a solution and your bunny gets all better!

Don't worry about your English at all. We are happy to have you here and your bunnies are so pretty!

THAT's Great news that she can do stuff again! I know her head may not come all the way back but I hope it does!

I am so happy to hear that Mai Kward is doing better! Depending on if she had any damage to her inner ear from the disease that made her head tilt, her head may never return to perfectly normal. If the disease is gone, but her head still tilts, she should still be able to live a healthy life. We have a member on this board with a rabbit named Ringo who is a very happy, healthy bunny, with a tilted head.

You will have to keep a close eye on her in the future, as rabbits that have had head tilt can be prone to getting it again.

Best Wishes for you and Mai Kward!! :pink iris:

Latest posts

Back