My doe is pregnant help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebonytherabbit

Reaction score
My doe is about 1 week pregnant and my cousin came round today to double check if she was and said she was deffo pregnant! Thing is its wrong time of the year as it is starting to get cold. Plus she said that if Ebony ( my doe) abandons one of her babies I'm gonna have to look after it myself and I don't know how. How am I even suppose to clean the hutch with the babies running around and stuff! Please help me this is my first time dealing with a pregnant rabbit and I don't know what to expect

She reckoned about 1 week, I only let my rabbits out for a run around lol now Ebony just wants to make nests all the time and be aggressive to everything!

Both mine are rexes but Ebony is part Dutch so I don't know how long they take to mature or how long there pregnancy is

Why do you think that she's only 1 week pregnant? If they've been together for 3-4 weeks and the male was 16 weeks when you got him, in all likelyhood she is 3-4 weeks pregnant. As far as I'm aware, nest building behaviour occurs in the later stages of pregnancy, not the early stages. So by this stage, if she's almost 4 weeks pregnant, it means she's almost ready to give birth. I believe 31 days gestation is standard, you should probably think about giving her a nestbox soon, or the babies may get caught in the wire (if your hutch has wire flooring) or may die from cold from wandering away from the nest.

1 week!! Woo! It would be Extremely difficult to tell If she was pregnant at 1 week. I would wait a couple more weeks and then have your cousin check again.

Omg I don't have another hutch! That's the problem! The guy we got shadow off said he wont want to start mating for a month or so yet so we was gonna get a hutch next week after my birthday we have a travel cot could we put the boy in that for now?

Yeah that might be a good idea but keep an eye on him he might chew it to get out

~Shida (and Shell)

OK thanks just a bit upset as someone told me I'm an irresponsible owner for letting my rabbit get pregnant :(

I would definitely get a second hutch as soon as humanly possible. If you can tell she's pregnant it means she is quite far along, and having the buck in the same hutch as a kindling doe will stress her out greatly and isn't good for the babies at all.

You're not the first rabbit owner to experience an unexpected pregnancy, so don't feel bad about it. Mistakes happen, and I'm glad you're seeking help to make things better. What's important now is to protect the bunnies you've got (and are going to have soon). Focus on getting Shadow a new hutch, that's top priority. Make Ebony as comfortable as possible, give her unlimited food and a nest box, a fleece to keep warm if it's cold, and cover the hutch floor if it's wired so the babies have something solid to lie on.

First-time mama bunnies may not always know how to take care of the litter and often, some or all of the babies die. This is natural and not anyone's fault, don't stress out about having to take care of the babies yourself. Without mama bunny's milk, human-raised bunny infants often die even when hand fed kitten replacement milk. It is unlikely you will be able to save them. All you should be focused on doing is keeping mama safe, warm, and fed. Check on the litter at least once a day, and if there are any dead ones, remove them, but otherwise leave the baby-raising to her.

accidents happen and not just in the bunny world but that doesn't make you irresponsible, I completely agree with every word wiskylollipop just wrote!!!!!!!! Good luck, I hope mummy and baby buns do well

Trying to keep shadow on the bottom of the hutch as mine is a double hutch but he keeps getting on top I think that's how she got pregnant I forgot to say about that

Shida was good at doing that when I still had my rat bailey, when Bailey was sick Shida would hop up the ramp and push open the door between the levels so I had to put a ceramic bowl on top of the door to stop her getting to him incase she got sick too

Ebony just gave birth! She is a proud mummy now and gave me a beautiful birthday gift ( as its my birthday today) and I would like to assure everyone that the buck is separated from her now

We reckon about 4-5 but we couldn't really see as it was dark I'm gonna check this morning :D

Back