My cousin's house burned down...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
I was talking to my mum last night, and she told me that my cousin, Candice, had her house burn down on Friday night. I'm so glad I'm out of the family loop... Anyway, her and her husband and two small kids were in the house as it burned. Everyone is OK, and no one needed medical attention, to my knowledge.

Candy woke up around 1:00AM for whatever reason and walked down their hallway. She could smell something odd, and there was an orange light coming out from under her son's (Robbie's) door. She opened it up and the front of the house was on fire. His room shared a main wall with the front of the house. His room was smoky, but no fire. She was able to grab him, scream for Kevin, her husband, and he grabbed their daughter, Claire. In the mix, someone grabbed their dog and they all got out. Right after Candy grabbed Robbie from his room, his window broke, letting the fire in.

Here's the scary part: No fire alarms went off. This was no error. The front of the house caught fire somehow, and it traveled through the wall and into the attic. The attic was on fire, but the alarms weren't up there. They were in the hallways, where there was no smoke. If Candy would not have woken up, Robbie would not have made it. I don't know if anyone in the family would have. Both kids are under 6 years old. I think Claire is only 3-4. Poor kids. I am going to go to the store later and get them some toys. From what my mum said, they lost everything.

Sorry, just had to share. I'm kind of shaken up by it. I live literally a mile from them, and I live in between three fire departments. I must have heard their sirens the other night, and thought nothing of it because they go off so often.

Yeah. Insurance is picking it all up. Unfortunately, a lot of the things can't be replaced: Pictures, heirlooms, etc. They can't keep the house, either. The frame was so far gone, they have to demolish it. They have been working so hard on that house for like three years now. They are staying with her husband's family until they can get into an apartment.

oh man how scary, i often think about how i would get all my kids out in a fire. Glad to hear that everyone got out without any injuries and all is well

Gosh thats really sad to hear, I'm so glad that they all got out safely. My thoughts will be with you and them, I hope everything goes well for them and that things start to look up soon.

OMG I am so glad everyone is ok! Being from a family of firefighters, it really scares me!

My grandpa was a fireman... He also likes to lecture (he loves us, but doesn't know how to show it). I just know what the holidays are going to be like... More lectures. ;)

Thats scary !

I've never actually been in a housefire, but my mom has, the day after christmas too :shock:Anyways, isn't it weird that fate shakes someone to wake up when something bad is going on. I mean like, you're cousin got up, and when my mom had the fire my brother (who was 4) was the one to wake up.

Do they know what started it yet ? or was it electrical ?

Just a suggestion, but instead of buying them, over priced toys.. maybe a day at the mall to get their mind off all this stress, and an outfit and lunch ? =) Not to be rude, don't get me wrong but if other people hear about that, their instinct is to buy toys.. So you'd be one step ahead of them :)

This may sound silly but i'm supprised their dog didn't sniff out the fire.. :p

Their dog is a little special. She's afraid of everything, and she hides at the first glimpse of something odd. I would go shopping with them, but they're staying with her husband's family, who live far away from here. :( They don't know what started it yet.

Wow I am very sorry about there house. I would buy cloths then mabye one toy. If they lost everything they need cloths also. Under garment and things the normal person woukld not think to buy.

I hope they bounce back quickly them and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

We drove by the house today. It's still standing, but the whole front is black. When you look at the sides of the house, there are smoke char marks coming out of the vents from the attic. Robbie's whole room was where the fire was on the outside. Seeing it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My mum and I are trying to get a bunch of pictures that we have of them together so that they have pictures again. We won't give them to them yet, but once they have a new place. Luckily, my cousin felt that her children were the most gorgeous children ever (or something like that), because we have craploads of pictures of them. Seriously, she got one taken every month or so and we got the wallet sized ones. We can easily go get them blown up bigger.

Wow, I'm glad the family is okay! I interpreted the title of "my cousin's house burned down with her and her family inside it" to mean literally that. The house burned down and they were in it and died. Happy to hear that isn't the case. Hopefully they'll be able to repair the house!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Hopefully they'll be able to repair the house!
Unfortunately, because it was in the attic, the house has to be torn down. Everything is still standing as of now, but the frame is too damaged for it to be safe. They have to rip it down and start from scratch. :(

Oh no!! That's really terrible. I bet even things that were covered by insurance will take a long time to get the money from the claim. I hope they will be ok during this limbo period... this is really sad. I am glad everyone is ok at least.

I was going to suggest something like that. I bet it will mean a lot to her.

kherrmann3 wrote:
We drove by the house today. It's still standing, but the whole front is black. When you look at the sides of the house, there are smoke char marks coming out of the vents from the attic. Robbie's whole room was where the fire was on the outside. Seeing it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My mum and I are trying to get a bunch of pictures that we have of them together so that they have pictures again. We won't give them to them yet, but once they have a new place. Luckily, my cousin felt that her children were the most gorgeous children ever (or something like that), because we have craploads of pictures of them. Seriously, she got one taken every month or so and we got the wallet sized ones. We can easily go get them blown up bigger.

That is so scary and I'm glad they all got out ok and their dog too. It's a fear of mine and often think about what if.... That would so nice to give them pics of their family what a wonderful idea. Those poor kids I hope it doesn't affect them in anyway.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your cousins.

I think little Claire is too young to be affected by it. She's only 3. She may have a vague memory of it, but nothing vivid. Robbie is around 6, I think. He will probably remember it, but since he slept through most of it, I think he'll be OK. He's a strong little guy.

My heart goes out to them but I am glad everyone made it out alive. It is good that relatives have pictures to replace the ones that were lost.

Denise

Latest posts

Back