My Chinese Cresteds (pictures)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double N

Reaction score
Orchid recently asked if my avatar was a Chinese Crested. And yes, that is our PoGo.

We have two that are ours and one that is a foster. My husband and I are active in Crest-Care which is the national breed rescue for Chinese Cresteds. So right now, we have three little balls of nakedness running around.

This was Tater. We lost him in July. Tater was the dog that brought us into Crest Care. He was our first baby. We only had him for 4 1/2 years, but I could have had him for 40 and it still wouldn't have been enough. He was AT LEAST 10 when we got him. It was very hard to tell as he was a puppy mill survivor. He was my heart dog. He was the dog I had been waiting my entire life to have. My heart still aches for him.

TaterandLexi3.jpg

This is PoGo (my avatar). PoGo came to us as a foster, but never left. He turned 5 in October. He came in as a 6 month old, compeltely unsocialized, puppy. He was a mess. He barked at EVERYTHING and his barking continued for about 45 minutes. Nothing could calm him down. He still barks when people come over, but now quiets when we tell him to. He's such an amazing little guy.

Here he is as a baby:

Pogoonthecouch-1.jpg

And here he is now:

PoGostandingforbook.jpg

And this is Leo. Leo came in with his mom as a rescue, and again, never left us. He will be 2 in January. Leo and his mom, Puffy, were from a puppy mill bust and were both very sick, so the humane society called me and said that they would have no choice but to euthanize them unless a rescue took them. So I was there within the hour. They were a disaster. Filthy and frightened. Leo was only 6 weeks old and just terrified. Puppy smelled so bad and just cowered from me.

So here is Leo. He was a lion for Halloween and the hood kept falling over his eyes, so he would just put his head down. We were cracking up!

Facedown.jpg

Leo.jpg

Here he is with PoGo. PoGo was a ghost.

LeoandPoGo.jpg

Puffy is now in a fanstastic home by one of my old coworkers and is spoiled ROTTEN. She is a powder puff and just so pretty! We actually are baby sitting her right now as her mommy is out of town. One of the perks of having your rescue close by is that you can baby sit them! She is the only one that we have adopted to in state....it's sad... :( But here is Puffy at my 30th B-day last year.

JensB-DayParty_IMG_6793.jpg

naturally lack hair...then theres the puffbal which has hair

amazing dogs with amazing personalities!!
totally on my wish list of breeds

what amazing looking dogs! if you'll forgive a daft question - but do they suffer from the cold? they look a breed that requires an even warm temperature!
the little cutie dressed as a ghost has such a knowing face:)

They are GORGEOUS! I love feel of the hairless ones. They look like they wouldn't be nice to touch but they are. Lovely doggies!

If memory serves...when I started taking a look at them, they sounded like great dogs, not huge barking dogs,...but you had to be mindful of the skin...like in the sun they could burn...but this is going back three years now that I was thinking of them and I am sure double N could tell everyone so much more and correct info...

I personally considered it because I am allergic to everything under the sun and I thought this might be a way to beat that and have an animal in the house for a pet...(we ended up going bun...and once you go bun, you never go back!!! LOL)...ok sorry...anyway...eh

I do think they are pretty...

Thanks for sharing and it is nice to know they are out there...I could find nothing on them when I looked, no where to buy...no one knewa breeder...

hartleybun wrote:
if you'll forgive a daft question - but do they suffer from the cold? they look a breed that requires an even warm temperature!
the little cutie dressed as a ghost has such a knowing face:)
Yes, they are very sensitive to temperatures. I have quite the wardrobe for them which ranges from t-shirts all the way to snow suits (yes, four legged snow suits...completely adorable!).

PoGo has such amazing expressions. He always looks at you like he knows just what you are thinking. He's a very sensitive dog and very in tune with my emotions. They are "touchy-feely" kind of dogs as well. When I am upset, he will climb up on my lap and put his forhead against mine so we are eye to eye and just rest there.

Orchid wrote:
If memory serves...when I started taking a look at them, they sounded like great dogs, not huge barking dogs,...but you had to be mindful of the skin...like in the sun they could burn...

Sun screen is very important for them in summer. I usually put it on them at the begining of the season until they develop a tan. And I am totally serious about that! Once they tan, they won't burn anymore. PoGo gets so pasty pale in the winter time! And then he's so beautifully tan in the summer. Here is a picture of him a few Christmases (?? is that how you spell it?? lol) ago. I know he has a shirt on, but you can see the difference in his skin color.

Ibelieve-1.jpg

Oh...and speaking of Christmas....here is Christmas last year with PoGo and Leo. Tater was downstairs sleeping and we didn't want to wake him up. At this point, Tater was sleeping a lot so we just let him be. It's three videos and they are just hysterical. My husband is holding the camera and in the last one, it starts off a little blurry then clears. But then he starts laughing so it shakes a little! Oh...and please ignore the fact that I sound like an idiot as this is the way I talk to my dogs. I will totally apologize up front!

http://www.colvinhouse.com/pogo/index.html

PoGo LOVES to open presents. And after the third present, he had like four more to open, but he was so into the third one, that we couldn't tear him away! My parent's old dog, Shasta,also loved to open stuff, but didn't do it nearly as good as PoGo did. One Christmas, I was holding PoGo so Shasta could open hers. He was sitting in my lap SCREAMING like a three year old because he wasn't opening anything and she was. I was physically restraining him!

As far as barking....well....they do bark. They are very good guard dogs and will alert you if anything is out of the norm. And heaven forbid the doorbell rings at our house. It sounds like a kennel!!! Cresties do make a lot of noise, but I wouldn't say they are yippy. When they bark, they really sound like they mean it! Because they will growl when they bark.

But then they have this bark that is a bark of sheer joy. It's kind of like a child screaming when they are playing. And that's basically what this sounds like!! Our first foster did this when he played and it was the funniest thing ever! We took him over to our neighbor's house and he was playing with their dog. Well their house goes in a big circle inside with all the rooms attached. Their dog started chasing Mister (foster) and then the two of them just raced around in laps. All of a sudden, Mister starts with his screaming and our neighbors were horrified and get up to grab their dog because they thought he was hurting Mister. I had to explain to them that this was a happy sound and that he was having a blast!

**edited twice cuz I'm silly and forget words!**

Double N wrote:

. I have quite the wardrobe for them which ranges from t-shirts all the way to snow suits (yes, four legged snow suits...completely adorable!).
:pleaseplease:you really have to post more pics of such cuteness:D

wow that is a difference in the skin....That kinda stuck in my head when I was reading about them. I thought I had recalled them saying not big barkers...maybe they meant though not the constant yipping like other dogs!

I wish we could have had one...

My old housemate had one. It takes some getting used to, but once you get to know them they are really fun dogs. I used to love to brush his hair and braid it - it's like our hair!.

She refused to dress him up. We watched him for a couple of months and bought him sweaters and such - I mean, what's the point? They're MADE to dress up!

Your dogs are beautiful and look like they are a lot of fun to be around.

EileenH wrote:
I mean, what's the point? They're MADE to dress up!

Now that's the truth!

Our vet is fantastic. When we call him to get a dog in that day, they just tell us to bring them by in the morning and we can come and get them after work. They'll see them during the day. This is usually for some type of emergency that just kind of happens in the morning....isn't that always the way?

So when I picked up PoGo last time from one of those visits, he totally STANK of perfume! I knew that he had been held the entire day and when the receptionist said to me, "Next time you bring him, can you bring more clothes so we can play dress up, too?".....I just laughed!

Oh they r adorable I used to make and sell Doggie jammies. Just like yours. It was a lot of fun and I had a huge clientele. They are great and I have to say I love watching the ugliest dog contest for them :)

Fancy77 wrote:
Oh they r adorable I used to make and sell Doggie jammies. Just like yours. It was a lot of fun and I had a huge clientele.

Really? You made jammies? Did you have dogs that wore them? Usually that's how people start making and selling them. They have Cresties, Xolos, Italian Greyhounds or something else like that....

That's the reason I learned how to sew and got a sewing machine! It was JUST to make dog clothes. I've since made other things like curtains and surgical caps. Do you have any idea how expensive surgical caps are???? It's CRAZY!! So it's fun to make my own....I get to pick out the best and cutest fabric. My newest hat will be made of pirate fabric. I call it my 'booty hat'! lol

Your dogs are totally adorable! wow. If one goes missing... i didnt steal them. I agree, chinese crested are made to dress up! I wish i could dress my Golden Ret. but he has long hair and those petshop clothes are too expensive for big dogs, especially here in NZ. More pictures??

I have a chinese crested myself. Aren't they amazing? Mine is named Duncan and he is really my heart dog..I just fell in love with him on sight. Pogo looks a lot like mine! Here's some pictures:

124.jpg
That was when his hair was dyed green for St. Patty's day. It's a hard life being a groomer's dog :p.

Duncan2.jpg
That's my favorite jacket he has. He likes to rock out leather :p.

Oh my gosh, that's fantastic!

A couple of years ago, Tater and PoGo were rock stars for Halloween. They sported purple and red hair...it was fantastic!

Don't you love how Duncan is so dark compared to mine? It's all in the climate! Arizona compared to Ohio dogs...so funny!

Back