My buns ate stryofoam “cranberries”! Advice needed:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymama99

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

my two girls have been free roaming my room since they are recovering from spaying they didn’t want to be in the cage at all. They’ve had a speedy recovery I’d say especially with being active. Last night as I was asleep they were awake & turns out they got into a fake Christmas plant I had on shelves they somehow climbed.. this fake Christmas plant is from dollerama, plastic and had branches w styrofoam “cranberries” I’d say my buns have been eyeing this since I caught one actually eating one a few days ago from a different decoration I then removed! They have been sneaky and getting into everything :( so I’m extremely worried to see that the berries were all missing! Only found a little on the floor and called my clinic right away for them to tell me to rush them into a different clinic since our doctor wasn’t there today. I called another clinic they suggested and then this doctor told me it isn’t worrying not to come in, they must of chewed it only but I didn’t find any other peices on the ground nor can I remember how many berries were on that plant exactly. It’s definitely worrying due to “blockage“ and GI status in my opinion. If anyone also knows how long it takes for GI symptoms to show? Or how long I should be monitoring for? I’m not sure at all when this happened or how many hours it’s been to if it was just a little bit.. they’ve been acting normal and eating as well. Still having little running moments and showing signs of being happy. I also changed their litter to see the new poops once they make them. I’m not sure if I should call another clinic or who to listen too and if anyone has had their rabbit eat styrofoam what was your outcome? Were they okay.. these two are literally my babies and any thing like this truly scares me and makes me feel like a bad mom :( also throughout the night they’ve been eating their cardboard tunnels as well which is also making me worried for both intakes..the evidence of their crime is in the pictures below.

Attachments

• 75E5975E-1C38-4630-B845-F2A584310C49.jpeg
    75E5975E-1C38-4630-B845-F2A584310C49.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 3
  • 7FE4FDD1-1601-41AF-8FA1-3F6A08D7B5A1.jpeg
    7FE4FDD1-1601-41AF-8FA1-3F6A08D7B5A1.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 3
I would just keep an eye on their eating, drinking, and pooping for the next few days. As long as it doesn't slow or decrease too much then there's a good chance they will just pass it out of their digestive tract without issue within a day or two. If there is a significant decrease in eating/pooping(size, amount, etc) and/or there is a drastic change of behavior like showing signs of pain, then yes they will likely need to be seen by a rabbit vet right away. But unless your rabbits show signs there's a problem, I would wait and monitor closely.

Latest posts

Back