my bunny won't drink but eats a lot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KosmicKole

Reaction score
My rabbit, who I just bought off of a girl, is 10 weeks, male, unneutered. He refuses to drink water. I refilled his bowl 3 times and he's barely touched it. I talked to the old owner and she said that's not normal behavior and that he usually drinks a whole bowl in a day. He eats normally except his pellets (which I may have to change) but he eats hay and his veggies and little snacks. I don't want to worry, he runs a lot and he's eating but I'm nervous he may dehydrate.

try feeding him some lettuce and see if that helps with the dehydration

and rabbits can be picky about their water if it tastes different from what they are used to

try feeding him some lettuce and see if that helps with the dehydration

and rabbits can be picky about their water if it tastes different from what they are used to
I ended up trying cucumber every once and while but luckily he’s started drinking. He is very picky, he won’t even drink it if a lil hay gets in it

I had a concern for my rabbit not that long ago about a similar situation. She was eating everything fine and normal but I noticed at night she would barely drink from her bowl. When I noticed that, I started leaving excess water on her veggies so that way she was still getting some bit of water with the veggies. I reached out here and the response was it was ok since she didn't lose weight or do anything out of the ordinary. It depends on what you're giving them as veggies, some have a higher water content than others. Generally, the more hay they eat, the more water they'll want so I started cutting back on some of her veggies (she was a little spoiled) and she's been drinking more water.

I change my rabbit's water bowl about twice a day because either hay or her fur will land in it.

Back