My bunny stinks

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by CapnAwkwardTurtle, Mar 22, 2014.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1

CapnAwkwardTurtle

CapnAwkwardTurtle

CapnAwkwardTurtle

Through my research I've read that bunny's oooo doesn't stink. So why does mine stink? Do I really have to clean his cage every other day to eliminate odor?

2. Mar 22, 2014 #2

rachaeeelanneee

rachaeeelanneee

rachaeeelanneee

Yes, you do and you should. Cleaning out the litter box (and if you don't have one, you should because then you won't have to clean the whole cage once your bun is litter trained.) every day or ever two-three days. Buns poop 300-500 times a day if they're healthy. That's why it can become odorous if the litter box isn't cleaned.

3. Mar 22, 2014 #3

Azerane

Azerane

Azerane

Mod at Large

Also, is your bunny neutered? I've heard that unneutered males will often smell a little more than neutered males. If he's not neutered, he may also be spraying urine which is more smelly than just normal peeing in a litter tray :)

4. Mar 22, 2014 #4

mjpeter

mjpeter

mjpeter

Jenn

Yep...we have friends that have an bun that's not neutered, and he smells quite a bit. I never notice an odor with either Bella or Jack. I do clean litter boxes every day, though.

5. Mar 22, 2014 #5

Country-Girl

Country-Girl

Country-Girl

Heck ya buns smell. There just like cats with there litterbox! Lol. I've just learned to suck it and clean her litterbox once a day. If I don't want it smelling stinky in my room. and ever since I've started a routine. The smell is pretty much not even there. when I had a male rabbit. Who wasn't neutered his balls smelled like onions and b.o. All the time ? I think it had to do with the fact that he wasn't neutered. Haha my bf would always make fun of him saying he's a real man now lol. But anyways yeah overall there stinky. Just like any other animals feces when they deficate. But I'm telling you. Nothing's worst than cat piss!

6. Mar 22, 2014 #6

mrsmeyers

mrsmeyers

mrsmeyers

Ignore my post. I answered, but misread the question.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  7. Mar 22, 2014 #7

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Some do smell more than others. We clean their litter box daily and the hutch weekly. The urine is what will really smell which is why the daily on the litter pan. Cecals will also start to smell if they don't eat them.

honeybunnies likes this.
  8. Mar 22, 2014 #8

lovelops

lovelops

lovelops

It can also depend on how big your bunny is. Chico and Chica can piss up a storm in their cages, pee tear up their cages, but since they are like 3 pounds, there is hardly any smell. Brooke who is going on 11 pounds now needs to have her little box changed every day. She drinks more, eats more, etc.. but I can't say her fur and body stinks..

Vanessa