My bunny makes weird involuntary sounds while hopping around

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaBon

Reaction score
Hi,

I am not sure what’s going on but my bunny makes some strange sounds when walking/ hopping around. Seems like air is coming out involuntarily. I don’t know if it is a cold, or from her stomach, are not the tooth’s as I checked. Did anyone else experienced it and does anyone know if it’s something I should worry about?

I have tried to upload the video all try again.

She’s eating and behaving normally.

Thank you in advance

View attachment trim.6EE807D8-5560-4763-A6AA-79DD63251873.MOV
Linda

Last edited:
Hi,

I am not sure what’s going on but my bunny makes some strange sounds when walking/ hopping around. Seems like air is coming out involuntarily. I don’t know if it is a cold, or from her stomach, are not the tooth’s as I checked. Did anyone else experienced it and does anyone know if it’s something I should worry about?

I have tried to upload the video all try again.

She’s eating and behaving normally.

Thank you in advance

View attachment 64825
Linda
View attachment trim.76717B73-A34B-4102-AB09-13E8850AD063.MOV

Quiet snorts, grunts, & hums are pretty common from my experience. Rabbits aren't as mute as they're often perceived to be.

My doe hums when she's exploring or circling my feet, and sometimes emits a grumbly-snorty sound while breathing deeply when she's laying down & very relaxed. (Being overweight probably contributes to the latter...)

My buck grunts very loudly ("GRRRRRRR!!!") at a lot of things, in both annoyance and excitement.

Nothing stood out as abnormal to me in either of your videos.

If she's making a honking or buzzing type sound, rabbits do this when they're excited about something, usually accompanied with circling (not to be confused with circling associated with a health condition). Sometimes it's because they're excited to be fed or for treats, but also when they're excited to see you. Most commonly though, it will be when a hormonal male rabbit is interested in mating, but some unspayed females will do it as well.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Understanding_your_rabbit
(Language of Lagomorphs pdf link on page)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
https://rabbit.org/2011/07/interpreting-body-language-and-behavior/

I think I know what you mean. It's not a grunting noise like the others have described, it's like a breathing lung noise. My rabbit does this too when I pick her up or she's over exerted.. it's hard to explain. I was thinking of bringing her to the vet too. It's not normal sound but yet she doesn't seem sick at all. My bun is 10 1/2 so I was thinking it's due to age but I'm not sure.

Quiet snorts, grunts, & hums are pretty common from my experience. Rabbits aren't as mute as they're often perceived to be.

My doe hums when she's exploring or circling my feet, and sometimes emits a grumbly-snorty sound while breathing deeply when she's laying down & very relaxed. (Being overweight probably contributes to the latter...)

My buck grunts very loudly ("GRRRRRRR!!!") at a lot of things, in both annoyance and excitement.

I have a grunter as well if I’m in her space and she doesn’t want me there…a grunter and often, along with that, can be a “boxer!!” But I love her…every bit of her…my Minx!

Thanks! The issue is that she makes it with every step and doesn’t seem like a voluntary noise! So maybe a pressure in the stomac? And she was not doing them before! 🤷‍♀️ thanks for your answer

Thanks for your feedback, I am pretty confident its a different thing because was definitely involuntary! But that stopped now so I think its all good anyways.

If she's making a honking or buzzing type sound, rabbits do this when they're excited about something, usually accompanied with circling (not to be confused with circling associated with a health condition). Sometimes it's because they're excited to be fed or for treats, but also when they're excited to see you. Most commonly though, it will be when a hormonal male rabbit is interested in mating, but some unspayed females will do it as well.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Understanding_your_rabbit
(Language of Lagomorphs pdf link on page)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
https://rabbit.org/2011/07/interpreting-body-language-and-behavior/
Thanks a lot for all the links I’ll definitely look into it 🙏

We have had several that make "honking" noise when running around. Our old boy (10+) Cosmo makes a very light honking noise when he is running around me--it's a happy sound to us.
That’s cute ! The noise I mentioned as it came went away and I watched closely was definitely involuntary who knows why, it really felt like she couldn’t help herself

I think I know what you mean. It's not a grunting noise like the others have described, it's like a breathing lung noise. My rabbit does this too when I pick her up or she's over exerted.. it's hard to explain. I was thinking of bringing her to the vet too. It's not normal sound but yet she doesn't seem sick at all. My bun is 10 1/2 so I was thinking it's due to age but I'm not sure.
Yes I think this is more like what was happening! the noise is gone now and I am relieved even if she was still eating and behaving normally so I wasn’t too concerned. Defo worth a vet visit can’t hurt!

Latest posts

Back