My bunny is eating fresh veggies but not her pellets/hay :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabrielleshan

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m a little worried about my bun, Mochi. I’ve had her for about two years and this is the first time something like this has happened. It all started yesterday, Mochi was doing great in the morning. She was eating and running around, being her playful self. However at around 4pm she started just laying around (which I assumed at the time was completely normal). I figured she tired herself out and now shes resting. However, she stopped eating.... completely lost interest in her Kale and even in her treats!

This is where I started worrying.... She did not eat or drink for 9 hours. I was already a crying mess but at 1am she picked up her Kale and started eating it. It was only a little bit, but I saw a little bit of hope. I started feeding her little bits of hay and she ate it as well. When I fed her some water from her bowl, she drank a little bit too.

I ended up going to sleep, waking up every hour to check on her and she seemed better, at least she was moving in and out of her cage which was improvement! At 7am I let her roam the house and she did as if nothing was wrong! She was running around and sniffing everything like usual, however, when i tried feeding her hay she was reluctant. She would take little bites and then run off. When i tried feeding the pellets she did not even want to try and eat those. So i ended up giving her some fresh Kale and Carrots, which she happily ate and finished. It is 8am now and she bunny flopped onto her side once. She also is now laying on her tummy with her legs sticking out. I think she is resting, at least i am assuming she is.

However i heard her grinding her teeth very faintly while she was laying down which is why i am still very concerned... Could this be early signs of GI stasis or maybe her teeth are bothering her?? Some insight would be amazing because I’m just a worrier and i often result to the worst possible scenario!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like she’s starting to get GI Stasis. I’d give her some baby gas drops. And offer loads of hay, almost bothering her with it. GI Stasis in Rabbits | Causes | Symptoms | Treatment

You could also syringe feed critical care or pellet mush but rabbits often find syringe feeding stressful. If you can, I’d get her to a vet. If it’s her teeth hurting her, she’ll have to be seen

@Mariam+Theo probably has more information

Your rabbit probably has Gi-stasis. Gi-stasis is fatal if left untreated, but there are several things you can do to help her. I would not syringe feed just yet.
  • Get the rabbit to a vet. If taking her in is not possible, call the vet. Your rabbit has a high chance of dying if it is not taken to the vet. I cannot emphasize how much this rabbit needs to go to the vet.
  • Give infant gas drops (you can buy them from Walmart or a pharmacy). You can give her 1-2 ml every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml every 3-8 hours or as needed. If you don't have gas drops you can brew fennel seeds, peppermint tea, or chamomile tea in hot water and syringe feed it to your rabbit after it is cooled. NO HONEY. Syringe it to your rabbit every hour. These should help get gas out. It is a substitute for Infant Gas Drops.
  • Give tummy massages to get the gas moving.
  • Make your rabbit run around. It may be that you must push her around and make her mad in order to get her moving, but it will be worth it. Moving around will get her gut moving.
  • Give fresh pineapple juice. It can help with dissolving hair in the intestines which could be clogging her up. If you don’t have fresh pineapple you can use canned pineapple, but it does not work as well.
  • Give fresh veggies (Romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, and kale). Soak them in water for a minute and feed them to your rabbit while wet that way your rabbit gets water. You can crush some pellets and put the pellet powder on the wet veggies.

If your rabbit has not eaten or pooped in 8-12 hours follow the instructions below:
  • Syringe feed Critical Care 6 times a day. If you don’t have Critical Care you need to soak pellets in water until they are mushy. Then smash them in the water until you have a mixture the consistency of pancake batter.
  • Syringe water 6 times a day. Fill a bowl with water so that the rabbit can drink freely. Add some apple juice or pineapple juice to make it more appealing.

If you need to order Critical Care, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FKACXO/?coliid=I1XGIN0R5O7U7D&colid=1WPEFZJ54GMSE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

Latest posts

Back