My bunny Hopper!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I got a new bunny that's name is Hopper and I have no idea on what breed she is.I'm pretty sure she is a mixed breed and some people say that she has some Hotot in her.Does anybody know what else she has in her.For some reason when I put the pictures in my posts they do not load so please look in the gallery under Spot.Thanks!:)

Is Spot the bunny in your profile photo? if so she looks like a rex.
I looked under Spot in the gallary the photo that showed up looks like a dwarf breed.

I agree that spot is most likely a mixed breed rabbit. Hard to tell if Hotot is involved as Hotots carry the dutch marking gene as well as the english spotting gene - common marking genes in many breeds of rabbits.

Hopper

12976_131136_020000002.jpg

He's adorble what ever he is.

It is a very common mis conception to assume that rabbits with sparse coloration and eyebands are hotot mixes.

Sure, it's true, she COULD be, but it's not likely. Looking at the length of her ears you can pretty much tell she's not a dwarf hotot mix. Again, she could be, but it's not likely. Without seeing pictures, I am 99% positive that she's not a Blanc de Hotot or, in standard terms, Hotot mix, because this breed is the #1 rarest breed in the US right now. I'm thinking of getting some for promotion in a year...

Charlies are rabbits that happen when you cross two broken patterned rabbits, (or when you cross charlies to brokens or other charlies). The results are brokens, solids, and Charlies. Charlies are characterised by sparse markings that can range from a charlie chaplin moustache (hence the name), eye bands, scattered spots down the back, colored ears, etc. and usually a combo of those things. She appears to be a mix breed charlie.

Again, for all we know, she could be a Hotot mix, but it's not likely and she doesn't have 'the look'. LOL in any case, she's gorgeous. :)

Thanks you guys for all of your help.Is there rabbit shows that mixed breeds can be in?I haven't ever showed a rabbit before and I think that this could possibly be the time to start.

Spot wrote:
Thanks you guys for all of your help.Is there rabbit shows that mixed breeds can be in?I haven't ever showed a rabbit before and I think that this could possibly be the time to start.
In the U.S., you can show any rabbit as long as it fits the characteristics of the breed you choose to show it under. It does not have to be purebred. So, for example, if your rabbit had the markings of a Dwarf Hotot, you could show her as one.

However, she probably would not compete well since her other characteristics do not conform to the breed standard.

English spot, perhaps?

I have one, with charlie markings, and he looks a LOT like yours but he's got a little half mustache and only three dots down his back. XD Other than that, very similar-his fur even looks like your rabbit's.

Many 4-H shows have a pet category, where mixed breed and neutered/spayed rabbits can be shown. 4-H also has a rabbit showmanship competition that non-show quality rabbits can be used in. Finally, 4-H in some parts of the country is starting to include Rabbit Hopping competitions--like dog agility, which can have non-show rabbits. The problem is that 4-H is only for people under 18 (at least I think so).

yea 4h is for 18 and younger. As far as showing your little one. I would say go for it. Educate yourself about showing though. Each breed has a minimum weight and/or age for juniors. If you do not make that weight or age you will be disqualified. Make sure its the right sex also that could be another DQ. and If you show you will need a tattoo in the left ear. Some people will do it for you at the shows. Also, I'm not sure if this will be legal at the show you go to just ask the show secretary, but if you didn't want to tattoo the bunny permanent marker might suffice.

Back