My bunny hates me- help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyshnops333

Reaction score
I recently adopted my first bunny, a two-year-old German Lop named Lulu. She was rescued by Animal Rescue League, coming from a neglecting family who kept her shut in a hutch in the garage for two years. I love her more than anything, but we have alot of issues. One minute she's sniffing everything hopping around like a happy bunny, and the next she's thumping and growling at me. She hates being picked up, so i try not to, but i need to to get her into her exersize room.She almost always thumps when i pick her up. Usually she lets me pet her but sometimes she'll growl at me. I take her into a big empty room in my house for her to run around once a day, and somedays she enjoys it, but others she just sits in the corner and growls if i come near her. She doesn't seem comfortable with me and rarely does and 'binkys'. I give her fresh water and veggies and pellets everyday, clean out her litter box once every two days, give her plenty of room to run around (half of my bedroom!) and give her unlimited amounts of hay. I have tons of toilet paper rolls in her pen for her and cardboard boxes and even a phonebook for her to play with. But she still seems so unhappy! I just want her to be happy! please help! i don't know what else to do!

How long have you had her? I just got a rescue who also is a female and came from a neglectful home - she takes pets, but she still growls and thumps as well. It's a mix of hormones and she is still kind of unsure I am not going to hurt her, though she wants attention, so she is torn on the matter. Time is making her better every day and sadly with rescues, it just takes patience to gain their trust after being abused. If your female is not already, spaying can calm the hormones and may help a little, mine goes in next week for her surgery.

It sounds like you're doing the right things with her, just make sure any aggression is met with not giving in (actual biting, or boxing) so she doesn't get the idea she is the head rabbit rather than you. I find my rescue growls and thumps more if I move too fast, so I make sure to make very slow, steady movements so she doesn't spook.

Edit: Also, try sitting in her room with her and let her come up to you. Just sit still and quiet. My rescue always comes up to sniff, but if I move she thumps and runs.

Is she spayed and if she is, how long ago was she done? I know that some rescues don't spay and some do it right before the rabbit goes home. This can mean that there is a period of about 2-4 weeks when they are still hormonal. That combined with the new living space and people can make a bunny a bit grumpy.

Try just spending some time with her and not doing anything. Read a book or watch tv, just something so you are there but not trying to do stuff with her. This will let her explore you without the pressure of you wanting to pet her or something. Try to ignore her as much as you can.

Give her some time for the hormones to settle down and or her to settle in more as well.

You might also want to schedule a vet visit as there can be some issues like mites that can cause them to be grumpy. A good exam can help rule out medical causes for the moodiness.

Latest posts

Back